What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a great day!! 🙌🏼
IMG_2481.jpeg

I picked up a couple Dahon Retrospec folders last night (two for $200!) and test rode them around the neighborhood. Man, these things are legit.
That's a heck of a deal. Looks like there's room for upgrades too, if you find that the folder fits your life

That's a heck of a deal. Looks like there's room for upgrades too, if you find that the folder fits your life

I agree. I've seen guys on Bike Forums mod these things, and now I know why. They are worthy.

Picked up a Tiki chopper today. Some artist carved this from a palm and mounted it on a Nirve Switchblade

20240604_125540.jpg
20240604_132423.jpg

Last edited:
Meriden Mountain (700' in one mile) last night on the Marinoni.

IMG_3569.JPG

Yesterday was the (so far) last day of my bike (protest) streak. With getting there and back I put another 70 km down on the CobblestoneRat for our monthly protest ride for better bike infrastructure.
IMG_20240605_201039621.jpg

IMG_20240605_201104285_BURST001.jpg

Despite the sometimes intense rain we were around 110 cyclists having a good time..
signal-2024-06-05-22-34-04-576.jpg

If you look closely you can see my ride next to the big flag (yeah, it was that guy again from last week) and me filming the speech (yellow jacket and orange helmet)

And here's also a fly by video... (source: https://mastodon.social/@radxberg/112568975748243934)

Last edited:
Six years this thread has been rolling and we've got 150 pages with 2991 posts. Actually feels pretty good being a part of this website. You guys keep it rolling.

GC.

1977 Sekai GT Deluxe 2700

A bike boom bike. Sekai was a Seattle based importer by Japanese-Americans started in the late 1960s. According to t-mar, Sekai got their bikes from 8 different Japanese bike makers. Sold to Norco in 1983. Ended in 1990. This one has some nice parts. "Tange Double Butted High Tensile Throughout" which a bit of an oxymoron. Most high tensile carbon steel frame are made of sheet metal formed in to "gas pipe". Most DB tubing is drawn cromo. There has been very few tubes made of cromo using gas pipe manufacturing methods or double butted high ten. Suntour Superbe ders, Sugino Super Mighty crank (165mm ugh). Grande Compe brakes. SR bars & stem. MKS pedals with toe clips came on it. Those will go back on for the next owner.

Needs a chain bad so I cut the ride short. Picked up a thorn with about 1.5 miles from the end of the ride. Met a guy riding from Connecticut to New Mexico. 20 to 30 mph head winds for him today.

Seiko.at.Ely.sign (2).JPEG

Last edited:
^^ I feel your pain with the 165 cranks. I have a Centurion with them. I need to put 172.5s on it, or at least 170s.

Lol tubing talk: you got Matti interested. Found a thread with a bit of detail on the hi ten butting, includes this little nugget:
"The Japanese (and maybe Tange especially) were doing a lot to advance that method of making tubing, and I believe that some of the later examples were so good you almost couldn't tell there was a welded seam. It's pretty easy to add butting (single, double, quad, whatever) when you are starting with flat stock, compared with the mandrel magic required to cold-draw seamless butted tubes."
The manufacturer would get whatever perceived value a Tange sticker would add, and a lighter frameset, at a lower cost. In my opinion, High Tensile is a step ahead of gas pipe, and the butted stuff is a slightly bigger step.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/713764-high-tensile-double-butted.html

Whoops, bit of a sidetrack there, back to the regular programming

Back