What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1000014180.jpg

So myself and my bro Mike decided to go neo oldskool with the 26er's for a ride, I took the freshly tuned Diamondback for a cruise and he chose a nice Raceline, my one had old cruiser bars with some barends near the middle for an alt bar choice, his had more angular Towny bars, both 3 by 9 gearing, mine is geared for mount everest, it seriously has goat gears, both are friction shift, tyres are 26 x 2.1 and 2.2s and both are awesome to ride, we did a blend of road, concrete shared path, volcanic gentle ride and some single track, done around 30 kilometer ride, these are seriously great for all day gravel rides once you chuck on some seat and frame bags
20240524_115438.jpg
20240524_101109.jpg
20240524_100959.jpg
20240524_100950.jpg
20240524_100941.jpg
20240524_115438.jpg
20240524_115434.jpg

I took the freshly tuned Diamondback for a cruise
That Topanga is wicked, Tange stickers make me happy. I love the bar setup too, looks like serious business. How many gears are you running out back? I'm curious about the inches you are pushing

Colli-boy wanted to drive his Razor kart at his school parking lot, so I chased him around with the old Schwinn bmx.

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3521.jpg

That Topanga is wicked, Tange stickers make me happy. I love the bar setup too, looks like serious business. How many gears are you running out back? I'm curious about the inches you are pushing
Front is 22/32/42 rear is 12/42 and using a hanger adapter so I can get up into the 42 if I'm in the 22 front I lose the last 3 high gear cogs on the back due to chain slack but those high cogs are redundant when climbing monster grades anyway, surprisingly I can cross up (don't try this at home kids) 42 to 42 and still works reasonable but that's also redundant use of gears, a very wide range of gears for all Terrain all day riding and definitely took some finessing to get most of the gears working even with the cheap Shimano friction shifters, they will get an upgrade on day, unloaded it weighs a respectful 12.5kg

Busy day on the campground:
First a quick round around the lake on CapitanTerror, then breakfast.
IMG_20240526_100952186.jpg

Then some quick errands on the Swingbike just for fun
IMG_20240526_124818952.jpg

And last bringing the garbage to the dumpsters with the trike
IMG_20240526_124841516.jpg

Every ride has its purpose... 😉

We've put some BMX bars on the F6, its actually transformed the ride a bit, for the better I may add! way easier on the body than the old wide custom bars I made, she's well run in now and its a really nice ride at 20-25km, she tops out at 40km and its not really heart racing at all, in fact this bike would struggle if you were to try pulling the skin off a rice pudding!!! its when ya get stuck in to the pedals where the fun is, that gets her up n moving pretty quick, so really its just an aid for the rider, it does have motorcycle characteristics, as in a clutch etc and you only need pedal under 10-15km with the clutch in but you can just ride on the throttle till it runs out of gas, if it does run out ya lock the clutch in and just pedal home, its heavy to do this but you'll get home at a slow jogging pace without tiring too bad.
IMG_0475.jpeg

Day before the crest
Huffy Nel Lusso (slug) A 3 block long ride was 2 blocks too much.
Huffy.Nel.Lusso.SNHTC16G36299 (2).JPG

Just minutes after the crest. Flooding blocking the local bike paths in many places.
Vintage Giant Rincon =that rides pretty good. Would be better with new tires.
Giant.Rincon.GP917332 (1).JPG

That Special Ed looks like a work out rig! SS rigs are cool. What brand is that blue rig? Both of them speak to me! That looks like a great place bomb around.
Oh yeah onespeed automatic is the hardest kind of fun, but I love it. The blue bike is a Breezer Sky. Joe Breeze wanted to make trail bikes inspired by the old Schwinns. They are fantastic bikes

Oh yeah onespeed automatic is the hardest kind of fun, but I love it. The blue bike is a Breezer Sky. Joe Breeze wanted to make trail bikes inspired by the old Schwinns. They are fantastic bikes
Trying to convert my bro into a one speed auto, don't think he's there yet, slow and gradual is the go I've got him from only gravel inspired builds into straight bar street fighter road bikes but he will get there in the end.........the force is strong in this one thinks me

It is counterintuitive, but singlespeed is faster. You must push. Accelerate for the climbs or you don't make it. There is no low speed option, except getting off and walking.
IMG_20240524_135047481.jpg

I had to walk out of this hole. It's basically a couple of hundred meters of rooty, rocky trail, and you're up at the top of that wall. That is another way singlespeed makes you faster, the challenge. I'll be back again and again until I can do it

It is counterintuitive, but singlespeed is faster. You must push. Accelerate for the climbs or you don't make it. There is no low speed option, except getting off and walking. View attachment 267337
I had to walk out of this hole. It's basically a couple of hundred meters of rooty, rocky trail, and you're up at the top of that wall. That is another way singlespeed makes you faster, the challenge. I'll be back again and again until I can do it
Spot on, single speeding is a totally different mental game and keeps your fitness up there, nothing like chasing down some geared roadies and passing them(on a road bike ss)

Back