What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately I have been riding my Electra Townie 3 speed 6 to 10 miles a day. It has become my main bike for daily rides. I replaced the rear cog with a 20T which made high gear more usable. Also, installed rivnuts and a 2nd bottle cage for a bottle size tool bag mount. Replaced the only steel parts (bars and kickstand) with aluminum parts. More of a tourer now I guess. Works for me.
1000002323.jpg

Two MOBOs I rebuilt. Had to modify the steering link so the wheels would track straight. That worked pretty well so they roll good now. May have to put brakes back on. Before the tires scrubbed all the time so stopping was never an issue, just stop pedaling. 1 speed. Direct drive on a 20" wheel means top speed is pretty slow. A high rpm gets you up to about 8 mph before your feet fly off the pedals. Frames are extendable to fit just about anyone. No weight on the front end means you can "peal out" at will. I've ridden these about 1 mile total now. No long rides as they are just too slow. The rear wheel steering is a hoot. Turning radius is about 25 feet. A u-turn in a two lane street doesn't quite work.

Mobo.2x (1).JPG

Mobo.2x (2).JPG

Since we had a company picnic on the other side of the lake from the pump track in Berthoud yesterday I took my Redline to work up an appetite beforehand. 🙂
IMG_20240921_135113746.jpg

Then changed to my trusty Elgin when rain arrived to meet a friend for a drink. Stopped during the ride afterward to check out a sculpture in a store front up close. Pretty amazing work!!🤩🤩
IMG_20240921_190728670.jpg
IMG_20240921_190901831.jpg

Two MOBOs I rebuilt. Had to modify the steering link so the wheels would track straight. That worked pretty well so they roll good now. May have to put brakes back on. Before the tires scrubbed all the time so stopping was never an issue, just stop pedaling. 1 speed. Direct drive on a 20" wheel means top speed is pretty slow. A high rpm gets you up to about 8 mph before your feet fly off the pedals. Frames are extendable to fit just about anyone. No weight on the front end means you can "peal out" at will. I've ridden these about 1 mile total now. No long rides as they are just too slow. The rear wheel steering is a hoot. Turning radius is about 25 feet. A u-turn in a two lane street doesn't quite work.

View attachment 280150
View attachment 280151

Those look like prime candidates for a nice 20" Internal Hub, 3 to 5 speeds. How much modification do you think it would take on that axle mount?

Not possible I think. Live axle on the mobo.

Humm, say 100 rpm pedal speed ....

100 rpm x 60 minutes x 20 inches diameter x Pi / 12 / 5280 = 5.95 mph

clip in pedals would help keep the feet in place, maybe good for 120 rpm or 7.1 mph.

Trek 720. Such a nice ride. But my butt. 45 miles today in street shorts and flat pedals. It was so nice out today a 3 mile planned ride turned in to 45. Lots of wildlife. 4 deer on the trail, egrets at the lake, geese, 2 wild turkeys, light wind, 3 minutes of fast UP train, skeleton cast of OZ.

Img_3205.jpg

IMG_3206.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

74899605142__7d0b106b-e475-40e8-94e8-ab21e59cebec.jpg

Img_3210.jpg

Latest posts

Back