What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom Chucks that say "Lakeshow" on the back stripe. I've been a fan since Elgin Baylor played for them.
Cool! Wearing my own custom Chuck 70s today. I also took my '34 Guarantee (Colson) Cardinal out for a spin.
450d87fd2af3e21e96201e1f08613098.jpg
356f946fc7ae38d5dcaba2dacf640c2b.jpg

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Chuck's are too thin to ride in. I need some sole! Usually DCs or a set of trail runners. Could never figure out clips...

New thread idea: What Have you Been Wearing While Riding?

Chuck's are too thin to ride in. I need some sole! Usually DCs or a set of trail runners. Could never figure out clips...

New thread idea: What Have you Been Wearing While Riding?

So, Jake at State Farm, what are you wearing while riding?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've been wearing all sorts of different Merrell low cut hikers to ride in the dirt over the years. I like the Chucks on those huge Odyssey Triple Traps though, grip for days.

I've been wearing all sorts of different Merrell low cut hikers to ride in the dirt over the years. I like the Chucks on those huge Odyssey Triple Traps though, grip for days.
Merrills are the ones I was talking about.

My first set of Vans were from so far back, they were Van Dorens, from their store on Torrance Blvd, in Torrance, CA around 1972.

You've got me beat. I didn't start until about 83. But, my oldest daughter manages the local store so now my unhealthy obsession is much more easily fueled

You've got me beat. I didn't start until about 83. But, my oldest daughter manages the local store so now my unhealthy obsession is much more easily fueled
I got lucky on a visit to my grandparents. My grandfather was disgusted by my ratty red Keds, so we walked over from their apartment and he bought me a set of black canvas hi-tops. My next set were bought in the late 70's, when OTWs came out and I was a skate/surf rat. I still rode bikes on the daily...

Thursday evening we had our first ride of the season. We kept it small. I rode the '64 Hornet with Nexus 3-speed conversion.
20200507_194615.jpg
20200507_194723.jpg
20200507_194740.jpg
20200507_194629.jpg

I also got to check out this bad boy. '60 Invicta, 401 nailhead. Just had dual exhausts with glasspacks installed. It sounded AMAZING.
20200507_195600.jpg
20200507_195549.jpg

And since we are playing the shoe game, I will admit that I have a problem getting rid of Vans. I even included the crusty old mowin'-the-lawn sneakers here. (yeah, there's a pair of old-school Ponys in there too)
20200509_091512.jpg

Thursday evening we had our first ride of the season. We kept it small. I rode the '64 Hornet

Is that a 20" frame? The shop owner I work with is an old Schwinn geek and has a 1950's Hornet with a Red Band Kickback in a 20" frame. I'd like to some day find one of those 22" frame Americans from the early 60's.

Thursday evening we had our first ride of the season. We kept it small. I rode the '64 Hornet with Nexus 3-speed conversion.
View attachment 119607View attachment 119608View attachment 119609View attachment 119610
I also got to check out this bad boy. '60 Invicta, 401 nailhead. Just had dual exhausts with glasspacks installed. It sounded AMAZING.
View attachment 119611View attachment 119612
And since we are playing the shoe game, I will admit that I have a problem getting rid of Vans. I even included the crusty old mowin'-the-lawn sneakers here. (yeah, there's a pair of old-school Ponys in there too)
View attachment 119614

Felt Rail :heart:

Is that a 20" frame? The shop owner I work with is an old Schwinn geek and has a 1950's Hornet with a Red Band Kickback in a 20" frame. I'd like to some day find one of those 22" frame Americans from the early 60's.

You mean the King Size? I've read about them. This is just a regular old Hornet. I think I caught that pic at a weird angle.
20190930_072937.jpg

Felt Rail :heart:

Yeah he just got that, he's pretty stoked about it. It is a sweet bike. S/A 2-speed kickback. I took it up and down the block; it's smooooooth.

Back to the Big Wave Dave Pump Track today. No pics, just ripping. Some youngster on a new Specialized P3 and I had the place to ourselves for over two hours. He had some good skills. Fun to just hang out and take turns at our own pace.

The Hornet had to be an 18" frame. The King Size Schwinns were 20" in the early 60's. This one Smoopys did was fantastic. From the CABE:
1589171956739.png

They have a thread on a list of those bikes:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-king-size-registry-research-project.126932/

The Hornet had to be an 18" frame. The King Size Schwinns were 20" in the early 60's. This one Smoopys did was fantastic. From the CABE:
View attachment 119910

They have a thread on a list of those bikes:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-king-size-registry-research-project.126932/
I sit corrected. Even so, I'm going to put a tape measure on that Hornet. It seems bigger than any other cantilever Schwinn I've ridden.

The pricing on those King Size frames is ridiculous. If I come up on one, cool. If not, I'm cool with that too.

Back