What I Found in Grand Dad's Basement

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It was nice estate type sale hosted by some folks who are clearing out the house for 1st renovations ever.
The house has been in the same family since 1926 and Grampa was a machinist with a hobby shop in the basement that had literally not been used in 40 years except for accumulating storage.
There were 3 bikes that I had agreed to buy in advance and all kinds of scrap metal piles to search for any missing parts. My friend and I did our best to find any related parts in the pile, but I sure wish Nick was there.
I'm pretty sure we found all the bike stuff that was there. The home owners will try and keep an eye out for anything else of possible interest.
I picked up the 3 bikes, a pair of wood rims, a Harley Davidson engine block and a couple of pieces of old pottery.
The pics were taken after a soap and water bath, I almost felt bad taking the dust off.
Here's the KIDS BIKE, CCM Ithink with Dunlop saddle.

This is an 'Hermes'. Enameled badge,Haukka treads,Batecta? Generator and cool leather saddle. I aired up the tires and took it for a spin in the lane way. Not too bad, even has Vancouver registration decals from '55 to '57.

The Wooden Hoops

The Harley Mill

The Pottery, A friend has a Champ Bull Dog

Yes...we've all watched enough American Picker to know that anything HD and old is money in the bank. :mrgreen:

Rat Rod said:
Yes...we've all watched enough American Picker to know that anything HD and old is money in the bank. :mrgreen:

Yep! Hit the nail on the head there. And for that matter anything HD is money doesn't even have to be old, the old stuff is MORE money.

Rat Rod said:
RatSphinx said:
Cash Money there son !

The Harley Mill

Seriously, today was the closest I've come to the American Pickers barn find experience...and right here in the big city.
Big old basement, packed, lit, dusty and smelled like a barn. I actually had flash backs from old episodes where they found an old motorcycle block and Franks voice in my head :roll: :oops:

late for dinner said:
This is an 'Hermes'. Enameled badge,Haukka treads,Batecta? Generator and cool leather saddle. I aired up the tires and took it for a spin in the lane way. Not too bad, even has Vancouver registration decals from '55 to '57.

Found this on Flickr about the HERMES:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coventryeagle/5654862744/
5654862744_a43c6087aa.jpg

Hermes bikes were manufactured in Upsala, Sweden by the Nymans Company (they also manufactured Monark and Erlan amongst others). The badge is stamped like many of the badges, but also has colored inlays (red, white and blue) and black paint on the raised letters all of which is covered by a clear coat. Some of the white on the wings is chipped away, along with some of the blue and red. The badge is metal with antiqued finishes and is approximately 4 inches in length. I estimate this was from a bike manufactured in the early 19th century, probably the 30's.

Thanks for that info Rickpaulos,
This is a nicely aged and well equipped bike. I rode it this afternoon and the tires appear to be original but freaking crusty and one tube has held air until now.
I dumped the rear basket after I tripped over it dismounting and haven't checked the generator and light operation, but if it's built like an old Volvo I'm hopeful.

That basket certainly isn't original. Removing it before you get hurt is good. Bikes made in Sweden are pretty rare in North America.

The skinny chain stays reminded me of some German bikes I had that rode so bad.

After getting a lot more familiar with the CCM Bike and the Harley motor, I went back to the pick site.
I spent a good few leisurely hours sifting and sorting through the scrap piles and am very glad I did.
I found the barrel and head for the Harley motor, a couple of small cranks relating to both, a bit of original chain, a few misc. items and an old Banjo...on my knee.
I'll try and update pictures soon.

Nice move, glad you found some more stuff. I can't wait to see the pics. 8)

late for dinner said:
After getting a lot more familiar with the CCM Bike and the Harley motor, I went back to the pick site.
I spent a good few leisurely hours sifting and sorting through the scrap piles and am very glad I did.
I found the barrel and head for the Harley motor, a couple of small cranks relating to both, a bit of original chain, a few misc. items and an old Banjo...on my knee.
I'll try and update pictures soon.

Well the big find was the barrel and head for the Motor.

Then I picked up a bunch of small items, an old Stromberg carb and another, an old brake, belt release handle ? I haven't really identified the handle as part of the bike or or other. And the relic Banjo.
It looks like there just may be a steampunk build in the future.

Awesome, that banjo will make a cool wall hanger. I'd buy a welder and make a frame around that motor, use the suicide shifter there, and keep it ratty. You know just to make the purists cry. Just think about it before you sell it because you'll probably never see another one unless they want $$$$$$$ for it.

outskirtscustoms said:
Awesome, that banjo will make a cool wall hanger. I'd buy a welder and make a frame around that motor, use the suicide shifter there, and keep it ratty. You know just to make the purists cry. Just think about it before you sell it because you'll probably never see another one unless they want $$$$$$$ for it.

It's only gonna be mine for another week friend. The bidding has begun, so I can turn it into a table lamp until then! :)

Nice finds, especially the Harley motor, looks to still have the tabs and isn't very corroded. The cylinder needs to be turned 90 degrees so the exhaust valve push-rod lines up with the timing cover :) Do you know what the little black motosacoches motor-bike you posted in your other thread went for?

Latest posts

Back