What if? 26" white letter Goodyear Eagle drag slick

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a project I was working on, I'd sourced at least two different companies that make custom transfers made especially for application on tire sidewalls. Most of these are used for drift cars and sportbikes, but are absolutely possible to be used on bike tires. They're out there, and if I still had my old HD intact, I'd have a link for them.

Looks like about $6-8 bucks for a normal phrase. I believe these are actual raised rubber letters that are applied with a rubber-compatible adhesive... IIRC, it takes a day to set up enough to take highway speeds, and a week to reach full adhesion. Letters are available as small as 1/2".

try searching "Tire Tattz", "Custom tire lettering" or something similar to find them.

BTW: my vintage Cheater Slick tire does have a very slight crown to it, though it's generally square-shouldered. I'd love to see a 2.3-ish wide 24" tire that is nearly as tall as a 26" Note that a pie-crust 2.3 would have a tread width as wide as a 3.0 because the tread area would be the full width of the casing... no round shoulders like a modern slick.

Thanks gowjob.

I've just checked out Tire Tattz. As an example I asked for the text 'BAD YEAR'. That's gonna cost me little less then 10 bucks for one tire (2 sides) for a 0,5" size letter. And it will be little more than 18 bucks for a 2" letter.

Combine that with this:
26J-2.jpg

http://www.jeraldsulky.com/ProductDetai ... ctCode=26J

A $24,- 26" Jerald Sulky Slick Cart Tires and you have one goodlooking 'dragslick' for a fair price that will be VERY HARD to beat...

Although there is just only one font to choose from, it's good enough for simple and basic lettering. I wonder if they offer the material so you can cut whatever you want yourself...

There was another company that did custom designs and had multiple stock fonts, but I didn't see them when I did a search just now...

EDIT: I made a basic stencil out of a file folder, held it against the tire and shot a quick blast of white paint on tires, and it lasted pretty well.
bandgspl.jpg

If you want to sell a square slick then you need to make it a square slick. A square-shoulder won't handle as well as a rounded edge at extreme turning use, but then again,,, any center ridge big enough to make a difference in the handling is going to make it "not a slick". And people won't be buying it for its extreme handling abilities anyway.

Also: I grew up riding a Stingray with a slik on the back, and I don't remember it ever endangering my life. At least, I can't see that the tire had much to do with that.... :lol:

------

As for the lettering, I would leave it blank. There is already latex rubber paint sold that is used for making blackwall tires into whitewalls. Painting stripes or stenciling letters on isn't that difficult.

(and besides, whatever you put, somebody won't like it. A lot of people already say they like the Schwalbe cream Fat Franks, but they HATE the company logo and reflective sidewalls..... and sanding them off is very risky, as it's easy to damage the sidewall casing.... it's far easier to put your own lettering on a blank tire than it is to get factory lettering off)
~

HotRodRob said:
An exact duplicate of this but in 26" would be awesome. My 20" Bridgestone slik.
Bikes4097.jpg

I agree, the tread and sidewall profile of this Bridgestone is awesome. It would look good with a whitewall or a red line. A 26 X 2.5 - 2.7 would be 'the bees knees'. That size, once mounted and inflated, should come out to about 2.25- 2.5 inches wide, which would have EASILY fit in my Huffy Cranbrook/Sante Fe frame.

Here's to hoping you can make this happen!
Cheers!
Dr. T

With regard to the lettering on the side walls, PLEASE leave them blank. I see white walls with "Lowrider" printed on the side all the time and every time I think about how cheesy that is. Might as well "Ten Speed" on the walls of my Varsity. Dont get me wrong, I am very excited about the idea of applying my own lettering.

lowridertires.jpg

Glad to see you guys found our site. We have since made some breakthrough changes in the formulation for our adhesive and are proud to announce TireTattz now have a 15 minute cure time for full highway speeds and, with proper tire preparation, are permanent.

Custom fonts are something we will definitely be adding to the website in the future. For now, we can still cut custom fonts. Feel free to contact us regarding your font choice and specs and we'll create a custom order for you at no extra charge.

Back