What is this frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking for info and year on this frame. The fork is not original to this bike. Thank you for any info you can help with.Reposted pics for Ratina.
IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1221-1.jpg

IMG_1218-1.jpg

IMG_1220-1.jpg

IMG_1219-1.jpg

The frame looks like an early Higgins to me (like Karfers Higgins) but the forks like the roadmaster shockmasters to me. just a stab in the dark though.

Fork is definately a Cleveland Welding built shockmaster,frame is probably built by Murray(should have MOS stamped on it),502 means it was built for Sears,most likely as a JC Higgins

The bike is a Mix of parts, the Frame is a 53-56 Murray built Frame, it would have been badged as either a JC Higgins Jet Flow or a Western Flyer X-53, The Forks are a Cleveland Welding built Shockmaster, the Cranks and Chain Ring are pre-war DP Harris(aka Rollfast), seat post is pre-war also. The paint is not original but very cool and from the pcture someone took a lot of time doing it.

The 502 indicates production for Sears(eliminating Western Flyers which were built for Western Auto),after the 502 should be additional numbers,useually 3 or 4 which are the catalog numbers for Sears.If it has MOS(for Murray,Ohio Supplied),there should be an additional single letter which is the year code,example H=1951,I=1952,J=1953,etc.

thats a sweet frame. and i really like those bars! A LOT!. do you know if that is the original collar to that shockmaster? i have a shockmaster that needs a collar and i have a collar off my straight bar amf from the truss rods that looks just like that but i couldnt get it to fit. :cry:

That is schweeeeet! Clean it up, grease it, slap some rims & fat tires on it (white bricks would look nice) & go for a ride! Whomever built this was pretty blanking cool as they had no idea that 50+ yrs later there would be folks from all over building bikes like it & comparing notes on the interwebs. Great find!

I agree with the others......wouldn't change a thing. Build it as you found it. Very cool!

Neat frame. Love the paint job. The "upside down" gooseneck is a type that was standard on the '41 Schwinn DX. Gary

Somebody in the past really built themselves a nice bike. I'd wash it and throw on a set rims with a bit of patina, maybe some of those cream wheels with the black pin stripe.

Herman said:
The 502 indicates production for Sears(eliminating Western Flyers which were built for Western Auto),after the 502 should be additional numbers,useually 3 or 4 which are the catalog numbers for Sears.If it has MOS(for Murray,Ohio Supplied),there should be an additional single letter which is the year code,example H=1951,I=1952,J=1953,etc.

I just bought this bike from bits n pieces, and I want to date it. Under the crank is

MOS-P
MOD 502 275

And a sloppy " 1 5 4 5 2"

Looks like it was originally dark green

I assume the "P" is the year code, how do I find out what year "P" is? Thanks

Herman said:
P is the year code for 1958

I wasnt sure if you made that up as an example or not. So the person who said the frame was 53-56 was wrong? I was hoping it was older than 58 but its still cool. Thanks for the help

So its a 1958 JC Higgins? What model would it be?

Ratina,the spring/summer catalog does not list this model,it may be in the fall/winter of either 1957 or 1958,it also is my opinion (unproved) that JC Higgins may have produced uncataloged models either to use up old parts or for certain areas that particular styles sold exceptionally well in. I would suggest posting pictures on the CABE site requesting information,there are several people on there that are much more knowledgeable than me. Nice bike!!! and a worthwhile project!,regards,Herman

Herman said:
Ratina,the spring/summer catalog does not list this model,it may be in the fall/winter of either 1957 or 1958,it also is my opinion (unproved) that JC Higgins may have produced uncataloged models either to use up old parts or for certain areas that particular styles sold exceptionally well in. I would suggest posting pictures on the CABE site requesting information,there are several people on there that are much more knowledgeable than me. Nice bike!!! and a worthwhile project!,regards,Herman

Thanks for all of your help! I will post it on the cabe and see what info I can gather.

Sorry I just took over his post and never made my own, so pics are his too. Heres one I saved

My question is, how come the few pics of Higgins I could find have a straight second bar except for the front curve, while mine is completely curved? I assume this isnt a Colorflow then? What model would it be? Anyone have a pic of an original bike? Thanks

IMG_1217.jpg

Latest posts

Back