What is this pre-war balloon tire bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 1st time posting here. Usually i'm over at bmxmuseum. Picked up this 3 bar today. Paint looks original. Serial # looks like F18407. Head tube has 2 holes for a badge. Was able to fit a schwinn screw in the head badge hole.

Try over on the CABE. Very distinctive chainring and COOL (probably the coolest I've ever seen IMHO). I looked for it over there in the chainring thread, but no luck. Maybe some one at that site has seen it before, though. I will toss out a useless guess and say "Elgin".

Well it's definitely prewar but this is before balloon tires were even introduced. What you've got is a 20s singletube bike. I don't believe it's Schwinn built. During the early part of the century there were 100s of bicycle manufacturers ranging in size and scope. Also, the teens and 20s saw very few design variations, so a confident ID may be tricky.

The Cabe would be a good place to bring this find. The knowledge base over there may be able to nail this head-scratcher.

Dave marko said:
Try over on the CABE. Very distinctive chainring and COOL (probably the coolest I've ever seen IMHO). I looked for it over there in the chainring thread, but no luck. Maybe some one at that site has seen it before, though. I will toss out a useless guess and say "Elgin".

That sprocket is in the cluster pic that catfish posted on page 3. I believe it to be Westfield made, due to the probable double D center hole.

sqrly said:
Dave marko said:

That sprocket is in the cluster pic that catfish posted on page 3. I believe it to be Westfield made, due to the probable double D center hole.

"sqrly" I think you might be on to something.

Cool bike, love em "Scruffy"

sqrly said:

In my zeal, I passed over that photo because the sprockets in that photo weren't identified. You've done a great job with that thread, and it 's a great learning tool.

Awesome bike! No idea what it is, but can you post a photo of the entire top tubes? Like from the seat post to the head tube.

And I guess I'll be the first to ask...are you selling it? I would be interested.

Back