What should I go with?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29397_433511403371048_382052621_n.jpg

I have this stingray that I got out of a barn for a couple dollars and it needs repainted. I've already cleaned it up,removed the rust,etc. (as you can see) and all it needs is a repaint. Should I make it a Gold Krate? (as mentioned in my post on the builds section) ,or should I make it an original stingray color,or should I go with a basic color? Too many possibilities :x

By "Original stingray color" I mean the bright and shiny colors such as the color of this bike. I'm totally open to any suggestions and opinions!

I'd think that you only have to please yourself with it, so if you like the gold idea, go for it. I know that people tend to associate Stingrays with $$$, but frankly, there are enough of them out there that you won't be doing anyone a disservice by making not original. I say make it how you'd like it best, don't worry that some folks might not agree.

udallcustombikes said:
I have always wanted to use DupliColor's metal flake gold and then do the accents with their MetalCast green. It is like a green candy. Just me though. You are the only one who has to like it.

Here's a sample of the Metalcast green. Here, its over bare steel, it'll be a little lighter over aluminum or the Metalcast silver.
P1015579.jpg

FYI, there's a Metalcast yellow that's not gold, but a golden yellow. For reference (this is over the silver basecoat):
P1014156.jpg

I personally dont care for green metalcast. It looks blue green to me after a few coats. The gold metalflake with a metalcast coat over it may be cool. Like a carnival ride. If you have a good auto parts shop with a paint section, they should be able to mix any automotive paint you want and put it in a spray paint can.
The burnt orange on chevy cobalts and them nissan sports cars is cool and resembles coppertone somewhat.

In the end, use whatever makes you happy. I find one color to be boring and try to ad some design in the pint or another color to break up the plainess.

Paint it a Schwinn color that wasn't normally available on StingRays. Sunset orange would be cool with your black seat and grips. Gary

I'lll be getting some gold automotive paint mixed up soon. the seat is long gone,but i'll be finding new grips and seat for it.

I had a 1970 that I redid for a friend's son and had powder coated it Ford engine blue. All the chrome was toast to I powdered all the chrome black.

That sounds pretty sweet! To be honest I don't like powder coating at home, you gotta be so careful not to touch the powder and blah blah blahh... haha i'm thinking once I get the paint mixed up,i'm gonna paint the fender too since the chrome is all scratchy and bleh. Shouldn't turn out too bad.

I wonder if I could draw up a template for the chainguard decal. I could cut up a cardboard box or something, and draw the lettering on and cut it out with a razor. I'd make it say "The Gold Krate" and make it look as if it were factory produced. I tend to do pretty good with lettering :D

Well actually,scratch that. I decided i'm gonna go with a "sunset orange"-ish color. But I do have one question. If i'm going to make it orange, should I make it a wannabe Orange Krate or a regular orange stingray?

Yeah! I'm definitely gonna build the Gold Krate in a future build,just not now. haha but I like that!

Back