What's the next build off going to be?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stretch said:
i think a head to head thing between two members sounds good. like what karfer said, i think that whole thread post deal with a poll at the end would be great. each could also build some sort of trophy to give to the other. so really, we both win, but one gets the title winner. :wink:

I kinda like this idea! Man it amazes me sometimes at the brilliance of this board's members! I think you might be onto something! 8)

sensor said:
^^^^smack talk already^^^^ :lol:
hmmmmmm.....what about team builds?
i know theres alot of guys around here that ride/hang out as well as all of you in midwesterners and east coasters :mrgreen:
dropcover.jpg

Coasters VS. ?????? 8)

if i can find some like minded people with parts that wants to do a team build id be down(i dont have enough parts & cash to finish my own builds yet).......but i think most around here are in the same boat right now

hmmm east vs west huh? i am down for this one as well if sensor will use his anything goes frame for it. so it would be an anything goes build off. i want to see that bike done!!

And as for holding a contest... I know this kind of thing is a potential headache for Steve or other site admins, but it will be killer if we do it right.

I'm picturing a "March Madness" type of Build-off contest. Head to head, elimination style. Not a overall vote tally on a random number of bike entries. Instead a vote system of 1 on 1 contests, then the winners progress to the next round.

Someone or some group of folks not participating in a build do the pairings. The only hard part I see is to decide how big to make it. Stop at 8? 16? 32? 64? (we wouldn't really do 64 would we?)

It would end up being a bracket like the NCAA games. A prize to the winners, maybe a RRB 2010 calendar.

So all the head-to-heads get decided and go into the next elimination round, and we vote on each for 1 day. It would be an exciting couple of weeks on the site, leading up to the next buildoff.

I'd declare also that the bikes would be eligible for the upcoming "official" build, if they meet the criteria for it (I'm up for a ladies bike buildoff myself) and the overall winner would be excluded from entering. In other words, do your best and enter the bracket, but if you're good enough to win, you'll have to build something else for RRBBO5 (whatever it's called).

I'd offer to help with the organizing of this and would be entering a bike myself... dunno if I'll do a ladies or a Stingray type.

Anybody else like the idea?

--Rob

thats alot of bikes to build for the winners of each "bracket", not saying it couldnt be done, but a huge burden for a family man with a day job ...

i like the head to head, just for kicks version the best so far ... like chainy and stretch and a couple others are doing.

one thing that id change about the build off(at least for these self regulated ones....and this might take the moderators to do so itll probably never happen) is if you dont complete a bike you dont get a vote........i never did like seeing the member counter jump 200 new people that have never posted anything and never will..seems kinda like ballot box stuffing

and karfer that frame will be finished one way or another.....got my roller now,found my degree finder and built my jig :wink:

building that many bikes would be hard and to make them each what i would personally want would be really hard. also from watching the motorcycle version of this the builders had one month to build the bike. makes things very challenging and hey if sensor is down where are the east coast builders? and we this is not a theme build this is builders v.s. builders bare knuckle style. this should get interesting because sensor lives about an hr away from me lol.

No, I think you guys misunderstood me.

Each entrant only builds one bike. I guess that part was not clear to you... sometimes it's
hard to hear what's going on inside my head. :)

You build the bike and that part can be the "faceoff" or challenge to the other builder. One
of you is selected as the winner of the first round, I'm assuming by members voting.

Meanwhile a bunch of other builds are going on. Same deal, two bikes face off, one emerges
the winner. Say 16 enter, then we have 8 winners. Those winning bikes are paired off and
we have a second round of votes.

The 4 winners advance and we vote again, head to head. On the last day of the contest,
we have the 2 finalists and the last vote.

You build one bike and you see it advance through the elimination.

I think the only hard part of the contest will be that first round of voting because there will
be a lot of contests. After that the field will slim down and the front runners will emerge.

I think I would allow the first round contests to be able to select their opponents; after that
we will need someone who is not building a bike for this to select the matchups that we'd
vote on.

I think it would be an exciting contest. And since we all find that we like so many bikes on
here, it would be fun to support your favorites through the elimination. The usual way
we've picked winners is good for a big contest, but it's hard to give enough credit to some
really good builds when you can only place a handful of votes.

This way, each bike in each round might get 100's of votes, and I think it's easier on the
voters as well. "Which do you like better, A or B?" Simpler than "vote for the best 5 out of
40"... which is kind of how my town elects City Council, and I never liked that method.

If you guys like this, I'd be happy to draw up some rules.

We could even have two brackets, like East Vs West or Girls vs Boys... the champs from
each side meet in the middle.

Sorry if I wasnt clear before.

--Rob

Ok, its not quite as old as I thought. I never looked it up before seeing Raleigh Ron's...

The date code is 7H so it's a 67. Still cool though, same frame as the one he's doing, and
I've got the front caliper and fork with the mounting hole.

Same RB2 rear hub. And original tires.

SOmeone should be buying this thing from me!

--Rob

necessaryevil said:
NLCTVWguy said:
necessaryevil said:
Replica "survivor" Penguin. :wink:

Oh, you guys don't want to go there. Here I was about to part out this '65 Huffy-built Grants...

grantsmuscle.jpg

Penguin replicas indeed...

--Rob

Have you seen this yet? 8) http://classicmusclebike.yuku.com/topic ... oject.html

Grants was very competitive with KMart in our area. I bet that same green Grants model out numbered any other bike around me by atleast two to every one Schwinn during the late 60s. Three of my buddies had that bike!

steam punk, steam punk, steam punk, have no clue how, but steam punk, steam punk, steam punk, steam punk, steam punk, steam punk, steam punk, steam punk, steam punk, steam punk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey karfer......ill toss this out for ya
scratch built build off(ground up frame build no stock frame)
i know youve got bike parts to build the rest and at least $20-$30 for steel(thats more than enough to build a ground up frame
....im still unemployed and can afford it and i know youve still got a 9-5 and getting side work)
you game? :mrgreen:

and dont let no jig stop ya....i have one and youre more than welcome to use it!

LET'S GEEEEEEEET READY TO RUMMMMMBLE!........If you guys do this........I'm cancelling "cable TV" for a couple of months!

sure am :mrgreen:
weve both been talking about build frame for as long as weve known each other so why not(itll give us both a reason....although im doing one no matter what).......
like i said before dont let not having a jig hold you back you can use mine when youre ready to weld if you need to
i think this way well both actually do it instead of putting it off for this reason and that reason
if youre down pm me

Back