Whats your favorite Cruiser frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
There are so many ways that the old balloon bikes are cool with springers, tanks, fenders, chainguards, lights, etc. etc. but what FRAME really gets your attention and why?

At the moment, the CWC Roadmaster frames top my list. (Always subject to change! :wink: )

Here's a picture that I found here posted by "Road Master'...
7b1948CWC.jpg

These frames have some graceful lines. I like how the internal bars (seat tube & tank bottom) are straight while every thing else curves. I'm really drawn to the up sweep on the chain stays, for some reason it gives the frame an aggressive stance. Also, the drop outs with adjusters are simple but nice.

If I don't have to pay for it, give me one of those Merlin Newsboys.
If I'm spending my money, I'll take a Felt Red Baron.

Cantilever frames of any make, because thats what I grew up with and straight tube frames like the cwc frames. least favorite multi tube frames like the spaceliner frames.

Modern frame would be Basman or firebikes, for old style I like the really old straight bar Schwinns. like the ones they made the first mountain bikes with .

I like my prewar Schwinn frames because they have more ground clearance than the post war Schwinns. I'm tall and would love to have a Schwinn prewar 20" tall frame and fork to build. Gary

Those titanium Merlins are totally off the chain! :shock:

Here's the aluminum frame Diamondback Drifter 1 - it's a mildly stretched straight bar style cruiser that I think looks pretty cool

drifter-1_zps3639281c.jpg

71bfzi09bwL__SL1500__zps1bd44f33.jpg

Naturally I like nearly all of the old pre-war balloon tire frames - and most of the early 80's BMX style cruisers

The Transition Klunker certainly has plenty of old school vibe...

Bikes_Klunker_Pic2_zps8094f346.jpg

Bikes_Klunker_Pic3_zpse322a4e3.jpg

Can't beat the old Schwinn straightbars heres a couple i built one prewar one postwar i think its what most modern frames are fashioned after like that straightbar Merlin for instance
americanflyer005_zps2beb81d1.jpg

americanflyer006_zps24ba7abd.jpg

I'd say Dyno Roadster. The frame i've been chasing for years but unfortunately, it looks like there are none here in Russia.
Even tho i own one copy made by pacific cycles under 'eightball' brand, it is still NOT Dyno.

if we're talking about "dream frames", I can't believe no one has mentioned the CCM Flyte:
5254909093_aa1a8968f4.jpg

5432347231_d3ec57d2ba.jpg

Of course, you need the original fork if you want to achieve the proper visual impact.

In terms of accessible/plentiful frames:
IMG_5347.37162307_std.jpg

The Worksman INB. These are so cheap, and easy. Still in production, and they check all the classic cruiser requirements: track ends, 1" oversized headset, skinny tubes that make way to fit very fat rubber.
These are "blank canvas" frames that beg to built up in all sorts of ways. They've been building them just like this for decades. You can buy a shiny new frame-only for $175 plus shipping from worksman, or
get a frameset w/headset and BB cups for <$100 here on Ratrod (I've bought a few from Ind-Chuckz), or get the (NEW!) complete for $350 or so, and it'll come with the super-HD wheels, with the moped-style spokes.
Personally, I feel guilty about taking an old, out-of-production bike and modding it, but these alleviate all of that guilt while preserving the "old-timey" vibe I'm looking for in a cruiser.

As of now, I have three Worksman INBs plus a Worksman LGB "cycletruck" style bike. Couldn't be happier.

-rob

Bicycle808 said:
In terms of accessible/plentiful frames:
IMG_5347.37162307_std.jpg

The Worksman INB. These are so cheap, and easy. Still in production, and they check all the classic cruiser requirements: track ends, 1" oversized headset, skinny tubes that make way to fit very fat rubber.
These are "blank canvas" frames that beg to built up in all sorts of ways. They've been building them just like this for decades. You can buy a shiny new frame-only for $175 plus shipping from worksman, or
get a frameset w/headset and BB cups for <$100 here on Ratrod (I've bought a few from Ind-Chuckz), or get the (NEW!) complete for $350 or so, and it'll come with the super-HD wheels, with the moped-style spokes.
Personally, I feel guilty about taking an old, out-of-production bike and modding it, but these alleviate all of that guilt while preserving the "old-timey" vibe I'm looking for in a cruiser.

As of now, I have three Worksman INBs plus a Worksman LGB "cycletruck" style bike. Couldn't be happier.

-rob

Agreed - I've also got one of these excellent Workman INB frames and am looking forward to building it up!

So how much room do you have in the rear of one of these Worksman frames? Anyone know if they are available with rear disc tabs?

Back