Wheel Axle Questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a front wheel I'm using on a bike where the hub is narrower than what was meant for the fork. Is it ok to use washers/spacers in between the wheel and fork? In the past if the gap isn't too big I just tighten the wheel up and compress the fork legs. I don't want to do that with this much of a gap plus the forks are pretty beefy.

Also the axle is smaller than the drop outs. If I recall, in another thread someone said there was a washer/spacer thing that will make it fit more snugly?

Also the axle is probably too short. I guess I either need to put in a longer axle or change where the fender struts (chrome rod in photo) mount. Probably not the best set up anyway.
Here's a photo.

axle.jpg

Is that a kiddie wheel? You might run into problems replacing the axle if it off a kids bike. The department store kid bikes come with some not so normal parts (the cranks are the worst).

Replacing the axle would be best if possible. You would get proper spacing, longer to fit everything and larger diameter to fit the dropout better.

I just had the LBS lace this wheel with this hub that I grabbed out of my parts box. Not sure where it came from. I should have put more thought in to it before I had them lace it up.

Replacing the axle with a larger one... guess I didn't think that was possible.

I forgot a larger one could be tough depending on the hubshell and bearings. I almost replaced an axle yesterday as I almost didnt find axle nuts(odd size) at 2 LBS's. The nuts don't even match.

I thought that you laced your own wheels. I have done three so far a find it very therapeutic.

cman said:
I thought that you laced your own wheels. I have done three so far a find it very therapeutic.
Funny... I started typing my excuses why I didn't lace these myself in my last post but decided not to. Now I will :D
1. I had the rims powder coated and figured I'd end up scratching them. Even though I've never scratched any I've painted myself but since these cost me this would be the time I would.
2. These are for the wife and she trusts the LBS over me.
3. I figured my LBS could really use the work this time of year.

I probably would too. I havent' laced any painted wheels yet but they would of been scratched. :oops:

Back