Wheel size/ diameter?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I have an old Mossberg 10 speed that I had as a kid. Somewhere along the way I swapped the front wheel on it, probably because the old one was flat. I just pulled it out of the barn and noticed the front wheel is smaller than the back(original) The front (swapped one) is a 26" tire, the back is bigger by more than an inch. What size would this be? Is it a metric size? Thanks, I'm new to working on these, old to riding them.

Thanks, are 27" easy to find tires for? I would like to go a little fatter if I could, but not ballon size as I'm sure they would not fit the wheel or frame.

27" is usually associated with skinny tired stuff. I'd go with 26" wheels if you want fatter tires. the only thing is you may need longer brake calipers unless your using a coaster brake with 26" wheels. Also check how wide a tire you could fit in that frame/fork before you get different tires too, some of those 10 speeds were pretty narrow.

Thanks, I just did a quick tire search and see that the widest is 1 1/4" for the 27's. Good call on the brakes, that is what made me look at the size, the front brake clamps on the tire and not the rim. Guess i need to do some planning and decide which way i want to go, maybe I can find my original wheel in the barn, lol. Or the bike the 26 came off!

Michaels said:
Thanks, I just did a quick tire search and see that the widest is 1 1/4" for the 27's. Good call on the brakes, that is what made me look at the size, the front brake clamps on the tire and not the rim. Guess i need to do some planning and decide which way i want to go, maybe I can find my original wheel in the barn, lol. Or the bike the 26 came off!
My advice fwiw would be to go into that barn with a fine tooth comb and pull out all of the bike parts! You my find something really cool in there :mrgreen:

Ape Stanger said:
Michaels said:
My advice fwiw would be to go into that barn with a fine tooth comb and pull out all of the bike parts! You my find something really cool in there :mrgreen:

There are a few good bikes, but the mossberg is mine so know one will mind if I mess with it. The oldest is a 26" girls framed bike that came with the house when my parents bought it in 1956, the id is gone from the head so I don't know what it is. The rest are from me and my brothers, 2 Raleighs( 1 touring and one bannana seat bike) 1 Korlis cantelever frame that we made into a jumping bike before BMX was around, 1 orange banana bike, and my Iverson Dragstripper (for another day). Misc. parts. We took them apart more than we put them together. Oh and a Columbia 5 speed tourer, was nice till loaned to a local theater, they retuned it with all the cables cut off brakes removed and a crappy coat of flat black sprayed on it. They said they wanted it to look old, idiots! Anyway, a few project, just have to check with my brothers and make sure they don't want them. Still not sure where the extra 26 rim came from, lol

Latest posts

Back