When do you work on your bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally try to work on them a couple of hours after work.Also try to put sometime on weekends. :lol:

Depends on the bike...
1. Paying customer's bike: As soon as I can during business hours.

2. Friend's bike: After customer's bikes are done when I get around to it.

3. Local kid's bike: When it needs it and I never charge them a dime.

4. Non-paying customer's bike: After it collects 30 days worth of cob webs and becomes mine due to non-payment (with a 1 week grace period after the 30 days is up) :mrgreen:

5. My bikes: Normally in the evening when it cools down.

6. Flip for profit bikes: Soon as I get them, turn 'em and burn 'em.

Mostly during the winter. There is always more time to work on bikes in the winter here in Michigan because we have a summer cottage and spend most of our free time there. I'm working on my build off bike "Deviant" whenever I get spare time lately... It's going to be down to the wire on this build. New puppy coming home tomorrow and a primary election on August 7th (wish me luck!) You can cut the tension around here with a knife... :D

Only when i becomes completely unridable,and I have exhausted my options for riding any of my others (because they're completely unridableas well).......ok,I don't do that any more,but I used ta :lol: If it's one of my riders (eg:Xtracycle,cx bike,folders or mtn bike) whenever there's any issue. I haven't actually built a project bike (other than building up the Xtracycle a couple months back) in years ,tho that may change if I can scre the rto shed/workshop I have my eye on :D

Mostly, when I'm laid off. Working construction, while I'm working, I only get a couple of hours a week in the garage. But when I'm laid off, as I am now, then all those backed up projects get banged out. I'll almost treat it like a job while laid off. I'll be in the garage from when my wife leaves for work, to when she gets home.

Winters are the best time to work on my bikes. Winters in Ohio get pretty cold, so that leaves a lot of time to work in the garage.

During the warmer months, the biggest things keeping me from working on my bikes are my bikes. I ride anywhere from 20-50 miles a day and I usually ride 5-6 days a week. That is a lot of saddle time. When you combine the rides with a full time job and a family, that doesn't leave much time to work on bikes. I usually get up around 6a even on the weekends. I am usually out in the garage around 6a on Sat/Sun and through the week, I'll put in a late night or two.

i wish i could come up with some smart mouth answer, but pretty much whenever im in the mood.
i work(usually) from 8 to 5 and as long as i take out the trash, mow the lawn, and do some dishes i can work on whatever i want in the garage after work. depending on the day, or my energy level i mite work on stuff from after work until maybe 9:00 to maybe 12:00.
you guys think yer wifes are cool? i dought it. my wifes the coolest 8)

I have Sunday-Monday off...Sundays are typically reserved for my wife and I to spend together :). I usually get out in the garage before or after work when the girls aren't home...and get a whole crap-ton of work done one Mondays when I have the whole house to myself.

I leave work at 11 pm, get home around 11:45-12. Then I can work on them until 6-7 am. Then I sleep til 2pm, get up and do it again. Now this all depends on whatever else I have going on, and tv or internet usage, and alcohol consumption plans for the night.

When the kids are down, the kitchen is cleaned up, and the wife says she doesnt need me around. In other words, i have to squeeze it in at night when i can and i usually pay for it the following morning.

Kids are getting older so i am hopeful they will have an interest and i will get more time to ratrod while also spending time with the kids.

I have a random schedule at the grocery store, but it's never earlier than 5:00 or later than 8:00. I Just got steady Tuesdays and Fridays off, so usually anytime after 8:00 and on Tuesdays and Fridays :lol:

I'm pretty obsessed and stuff gets put on the "back burner" that I should deal with but Oh well. I work full time, pay the bills and I'm there for my wife whenever she wants me so I guess it's all good.

Hardly ever. This Summer has really picked up with church activities and the hot weather has kept me down. I'm hoping to turn a page on my non-motivation as my week off for vacation has helped me out a lot.

Last Summer I worked on bikes late at night, after the kids went to bed and my wife I would hit the shop around 10-11pm and stay out late, but I had someone out there working with me. He doesn't work as much anymore and to tell the truth I just get lonely working by myself.

Now most of my work gets done when I get home from the office and the kids are out playing in the yard.

Even though I am self employeed artist and could do it any time, 90% of the time it is on sundays. I try to keep that day for myself or else it seems like all I do is work even though some might not think working on art all day is work.

I work on my bikes mostly in the evenings and at nights in the summer. This summer here in S.C. has been horrible. During the fall, winter, and spring though, I'm always out riding, and working on them. I usually keep up with the maintenance of my bikes fairly well, so there usually isn't much to do with them aside of a quick wipe down to remove dust and crap.

Never! An hour or two on the weekends and that's it. I'll have more time when my house construction projects die down and the workshop is finally built.

Back