Where is this "Junkyard"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people referencing going to the "junkyard" or "recycle center" or "dump" in a casual sense.

I realize it's case-by-case but is it a common thing for open dumps/junkyards to still exist? Or am I taking it too literally? Is it just a way of saying "my buddie's bone-heap" or "the local scrap center"?? Please enlighten me! I yearn for heaps of dicarded junk! (not just for bikes)

Everybody has their own version. I have gone to an industrial recycling center to look for bikes before. But I have oftened wondered what "local resale store/center" means. Is like the Goodwill stores.

"local resale store/center"

goodwill, salvation army, flea market, second hand store

some of the auto junk yards around here will take bikes/scrap metal because they crush, weigh and hall the scrap right from the yard.
so look at some of your area bone yards to see if they do it too.

cman said:
Everybody has their own version. I have gone to an industrial recycling center to look for bikes before. But I have oftened wondered what "local resale store/center" means. Is like the Goodwill stores.

The resale stores are usually in urban/suburban areas and run by churches or charities, take donations and re-sell them, exactly like you said, like the Goodwill. They're all over in most cities, thrift stores, sometimes part of or adjacent to a church.

skoda said:
I see people referencing going to the "junkyard" or "recycle center" or "dump" in a casual sense.

I realize it's case-by-case but is it a common thing for open dumps/junkyards to still exist? Or am I taking it too literally? Is it just a way of saying "my buddie's bone-heap" or "the local scrap center"?? Please enlighten me! I yearn for heaps of dicarded junk! (not just for bikes)

I've always wondered about the same thing to. I need to find one of those places here in so cal.

I go to one of the local scrapyard/junkyard. They buy steel, aluminum and such. I know the guy runnin it and he holds bikes for me. Its pretty much in and out with his scrap....not alot laying around.
I also know a guy close by that has ALOT of cool old bikes and stuff...

ours is what used to be a town dump/landfill, but they cleaned it up and now it's a recycling center/transfer station.

there are two semi truck sized dumpsters that are referred to as "the metal bin".
i have permission to take what i want as long as i dont get in the containers...
there is also a free for the taking area also.

oct.

Our "town dump" used to be freely accessible. Only metal and concrete dumping were allowed. It got abused and now they've locked it up and they have to let you in. Not as easy to "undump" stuff now so I haven't bothered in a while.
My best find was this...
alenax.jpg

Ok I have been to two Worlds Fairs and a hog greasing and I have never seen anything like that. What kind of a bike is it ,and how does it work? :D

All of the junk yards around here only sell auto parts.

There is a resale shop less than a mile from my house that I hit several times a week.

They took over an empty grocery store and they sell donated items and then use the money for social programs.

They get a lot of bikes...most of which are junk, but occasionally a few sweet ones come along.

Just tonight I picked up an old 80s Huffy woman's bike with a 26" Shimano 3 speed coaster hub on wide rims.

metal recyclers are your best bet, you no all those barn finds ?? thats were a lot of them go if no one "finds" them, after an old bike is stripped, its worth less than $5 in weight, so most recyclers dont mind settin bikes aside if ya come back often enough to check, i cant get "free" stuff off of them, but offer more than its worth in weight and they'll usually take it.

Uncle Stretch said:
Hey Steve what kind of a bike is that . A stairmaster or something?

This is what $9.99 will get ya at the resale shop...I plan to use everything except the frame. :mrgreen:

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

hey, aren't 3 speed mechanisms usually on the OTHER side? is that SHimano model the only one that has it on the "wrong" side like that?

what model is it, anyway? someone said Positron--is that different from 333?

--rick

Round me the scrap recyclers won't let you buy anything once it's been weighed in and they don't let you solicit people bringing stuff into their yard. I think they probably have a guy or two that they deal with on the side, but they won't admit it. The price of scrap metal is cheap enough in our area, that you could offer someone a dollar for a bike and it would be more money than scrapping it. But many of the scrappers don't want to deal wth the headache, so they take it to the scrapyard and get a few cents for it. I've seen some great looking bikes on trucks and had pulled up and asked them if they'd wanna sell their bikes. Most often than not they decline and head to the yard.

The Salvation Army and Goodwills around us think that their bikes are worth a fortune. I've seen bikes that would barely be useable as donors have stickers on them for $30.00 or more. Kids bike regularly go for $15.00 to $25.00 and need alot of love. Last summer they had a Schwinn Jaguar, like Target sells brand new for less than $100.00, with a sticker on it for $74.99! The bike was beat up pretty good.

Resale shops in the area, think everything is an antique. If it looks old (whether it is or not) they put a big price tag on. Yard sales and such always think they have real treasures and ask high prices for their junk. We usually go back late at night after the sales over and the bikes are tossed to the road, so we get them free!

Ricky is always talking about his great flea market finds but I haven't seen any great deals. He visits some of the ones in our area, so he must have connections or something. Most of the bikes are pure junk or are higher than Andre the Giant's butt.

For us, barn finds just aren't there. We are still a rural comminity, but most of our farmers are aware of the value or don't wanna get rid of their bikes. The few who do get rid of them usually toss them or bury them on their property.

So the bottomline around here is .... greed and stupidity! Very few people in our area actually care about helping to support our hobby or for that matter, having a bicycle on our roads! My home town prides itself on it's late 1800's/early 1900s atmosphere, but they don't allow any bikes in the downtown area and they don't have bike racks in any of the town's parks!

I can go out on garbage nights and grab a minimum of 3 bikes a week, but they're almost always cheap mountain bikes or kids bikes.

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok I have been to two Worlds Fairs and a hog greasing and I have never seen anything like that. What kind of a bike is it ,and how does it work? :D

The brand is Alenex and it uses the "Transbar Power System". You pump the pedals up and down kinda like a stair stepper I suppose. Instead of gears the shifter changes the leverage that is used. I think they quit making them for a while and then started up again. Now they have the option of pumping, pedaling and more http://www.alenax.com/

Latest posts

Back