Whippet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go Windham Whippets!! (my high school)

ct-ctwindhamhighschool-letter-150.png

Sorry to be catching up so late!! My apologies!! :oops:
So... you finally started it, and awesomely well, as usual!!!
(thought there was another bike before in the line... :?: )

I´m felling this will be the base point for some more great fibreglass builds to come, but for the time being, I´m must say the frame is looking great, one of the most beautiful you´ve done, one of the most beautiful I´ve seen... EVER!
In fact, have you considered the crazy idea of making two? One with fibreglass, one without it? 8)
It has so great lines, I think it would be very neat to have both options. :wink:

Well, PM me with copyright details, I know certain south American boy who will be loosing lots of sleep thinking about this bike! :wink: :lol:

GODSPEED my friend!!!

Billy

FOUND OBJECTS: Thanks man, I appreciate it! :D

Gdcast: Lucky for you, this isn't school and you won't be suspended. :lol:
You're right, there was another bike to be built before I started on the Whippet. This one: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28606
Thanks, glad you like the look of it so far! :D When I looked at the frame after welding it all together, I liked the look of the lines of the naked frame and actually thought about building another bike with the same lines but with regular size on the tubes and not fiberglass that one. We'll see what happens, if and when I get time to spare to make that. :) I think too that the basic geometry of this bike could be altered and changed to make different variations of it.
That South American boy has my permission to build a Whippet of his own! Sleep well buddy! :wink:

I went to Torsby this weekend and got some more done on the bike. Actually, I got everything done on it to be able to start with foam and fiberglass work next. :)

Brake- and bikestand brackets welded. The wire feed on the welder is still not working satisfactory. I'll havet to fix that eventually...
Bromsfste.jpg

Stdfste.jpg

I think the chain would have cleared the seatstay, but very barely, so to be on the safe side I made some more chain clearance.
Grinded off some of the seatstay and cut a piece of sheet metal to fit the cutaway.
Frigngkedja1.jpg

Welded in place and smoothed down a little. All this will be reinforced with fiberglass!!
Frigngkedja2.jpg

Here's a mockup with all the parts I'll be using. I'll make a new cover for the seat, of course, but it has pretty much the chape I was looking for. Note also :!: the seatpost with built in suspension. 8) Maybe the angle of the seat tube should be more straight upwards for it to have the most effect, but I hope it'll make at least a little difference. :)
Mockup1.jpg

We'll see when I get some more free time and opportunities to get some more done on the bike! I'll be back with more updates as soon as I've got some to share with you!
Take care until then everybody! :D

Thanks man!! :) Sweet picture!
Even if I won't have enough free time to build as much as I'd like, I hope to be able to get some done until next summer. I have some access to the workshop at university, and they got some really nice equipment there that I hope to learn how to use eventually. :)

Hey Galtbacken! Since we are showing pictures, I found something at a local farmers market here in town that you might like. It is a 1960 Bowden Spacelander 8) . Not only did I think it was really cool but it is all fiberglass and may give you some ideas for your build. Hope you enjoy!! Cant wait to watch you build Whippet!

Later Buddy, HL

PICT0015-2.jpg

PICT0024-3.jpg

Hey HL, great photos! :D That's a really cool bike, I like the part from the cranks and back around the wheel in particular. I've seen pictures of it before, but what got me going on this fiberglass experiment was when I saw a picture of the other Bowden bike (I'll se if I can find that picture somewhere), and in my head that started to mix with images of the up-side-down ladies frames that I've seen people on here build.
Is the Spacelander bike made in two halves that are put together somehow, or how did they go about constructing that?

Thank you so much for showing those photos, that bike seems to be in great condition! :) Hm...now I'm getting ideas...probably have to build more fiberglass bikes! :lol:

About this build: I've started shaping foam for the headlight, but progress is really slow at the moment. Hope to get a little more done soon!

Hi Galt,
Just today I was thinking of this project, I ran across some floral foam, the green one, and I have to tell you that if is true that it doesen´t melt in contact with the resin, it´s great stuff to work with. I´ll definitely give it a try next time, it looks great to shape.

PS: How sick is that Bowden bike, uh?

Cool, please let us know how it works out!

That Bowden is pretty sick...mucho sick señor...if it was candy it would be a popsickle...if it was a rock singer it would be Sick Jagger...if it was an extinct Cretaceous species it would be the Cyclosaurus Sick...I'd better stop now... :roll: :mrgreen:

Back