White Rattle-Can Paint Review

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm loyal to no particular brand of paints, so when I was recently using both the Krylon gloss white and the Rustoleum gloss white I noticed some significant differences.

First, coverage. I was always told how good Krylon paints were because of the density of pigments used. In the case of these white paints that rumor couldn't be further from the truth. The Krylon takes at LEAST 3 coats to get full, even coverage. The Rustoleum on the other hand would cover almost perfectly on the first coat, a second coat and no worries.

Secondly, and the reason for my post, is the color difference between the two. Unfortunately the Krylon color temperature is too cool, pushing toward the blue hues, like a college girl that's whitened her teeth too much. Conversely, the Rustoleum had a much warmer tone, which lends itself nicely to refinishing old bikes, where the warmer, creamier whites are much more desirable.

Just thought I'd pass along my take on these two paints.

Yes, Rustoleum is very good at coverage and retaining it's finish, but you have to be patient, it takes overnight to dry even in dry conditions.

Back