Who made this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imagejpg2_zps933441c5.jpg
imagejpg1_zps7470458d.jpg
imagejpg1_zps7470458d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Can anybody tell me who made this?

My wife & I both worked at the Celina Huffy plant for over 20 years until it closed.So I'm sure it's not a Huffy.I cleaned the paint off of a small spot on the bottom of the crank housing,the metal looks different than what we used.To me it looks pretty complete except for the paint so I'm not tearing it apart until I figure out what it is.I'm thinking about doing the bike in some sort of muscle theme to go along with the 64'. As far as the car goes,I just returned from a 525 mile trip to The Woodward Dream Cruise.

That chainring looks familiar just trying to place the brand that used it would go a long way in trying to I'd the bike.
Did you find serial number?

I have not,but there's a lot of paint on it.Huffys put them on the crank housing & toe plates.I can't find it on this one.

I think its an AMF built bike.
It just hit me my 70ish amf had that chainring

Looks like it's somewhere along the lines of an AMF Roadmaster Renegade
I'm sure there are others it could be but a quick amf muscle bike search popped up a bike that looked the same from what I can tell.
I'd suggest trying to carefully take paint off the chain guard in hopes of finding decal remnants or even color variances in of paint to find a model name.

Last edited:
You may be right.I googled it & found some that look pretty close right down to the front chain sprocket. Thanks for the info. If anyone has more details I'd appreciate any thing you can tell me about it.

I think its an AMF built bike.
It just hit me my 70ish amf had that chainring

Looks like it's somewhere along the lines of an AMF Roadmaster Renegade
I'm sure there are others it could be but a quick amf muscle bike search popped up a bike that looked the same from what I can tell.
I'd suggest trying to carefully take paint off the chain guard in hopes of finding decal remnants or even color variances in of paint to find a model name.
Been searching for a while to answer your question, @whitefiretiger put me on the right path, AMF possibly a roadmaster renegade, check here: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/60s-roadmaster-renegade-grrrrrrrreat.65871/

amf0012.jpg

Luke.

I try to help where I can.
Google is your friend with stuff like this.
Once you get a lead on a maker a little time ugooglizing can get you an answer or very close

I try to help where I can.
Google is your friend with stuff like this.
Once you get a lead on a maker a little time ugooglizing can get you an answer or very close
Nice Zoolander reference!

Luke.

Nice Zoolander reference!

Luke.
what?

A eugoogalizer. One who speaks at funerals. Or did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogly was?

Probably one of the best parts of that movie and with the growth of google I can play off it more & more all the time lol.

Anyway back to your muscle bike...
Hope you can figure out exactly what you have.

Last edited:
I just went & looked for serial numbers.I found a faint outline on the left side of the head tube.I'm working on cleaning it now.

Ok heres what I was able to get cleaned on the head tube,C2189023Can any one decode this for me ?
f38335f3-b6a0-4c94-adf8-d6904e81acd3_zps05371031.jpg

Well AMF serial numbers are basicly worthless but a few people have concluded that there was a pattern to the letter before the number on the muscle bikes but even that gets fuffy after 72-73 area. The conclusion I've seen drawn is that yours is later than 73 most likely.

Is that factory orange paint poking out?

I think it was orange originally.I think your right to about the later mfg. date because it has the safety tabs on the front fork.

From what I'm finding most Renegades were orange.

There's the possibility it was a store brand badged bike built by AMF as well but so far I'm this king its a Renegade.

I've had some strange luck in the past cleaning chain guards and finding bits of decals or in one case when I was stripping one down there was light rust everplace except where the decal was.

Depends on the paint I'm trying to remove.
House paint I use oven cleaner.
Sometimes I just lightly sand.
And when I'm lazy as in the case of the rust showing me what decal used to be there I had just hit it with rattle can paint stripper and rinsed it off and found it lol.
On the tank of my 59 western flyer I was sanding it with 160 grit because the repaint won't come off with stripper (scary) and I found part of the decal.

Back