Will a motorcycle fender fit over 26x4 fat bike tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a nice fenders on a fat tire bike. I'm looking at some Royal Enfield 500cc Bullet Classic rear fenders because they appear to have a lot of clearance over the 120/80-18 tire and look slim enough to work into the fat tire bike frame. Does anyone know if 26x4.0 tires would fit or know of another cycle that would?

1718626289270.png

1718626194671.png

Last edited:
Looks like a 120/80/18 tire OD is around 25.5 and lots of clearance on the rear so maybe? Wasn’t able to find the actual OD of a 26x4 fat bike tire.

My 26 x 4.0 tires are exactly 30" diameter. I just measured again to be sure.
13 Jun rimsb.jpg

I thoght about using motorcycle fenders also, and I can get motorcycle fenders cheap, but all I've seen so far aren't big enough.

My 26 x 4.0 tires are exactly 30" diameter. I just measured again to be sure.
View attachment 270089
I thoght about using motorcycle fenders also, and I can get motorcycle fenders cheap, but all I've seen so far aren't big enough.
Thank you. I guess I'm not using those measurements correctly? Super helpful knowing you haven't found one either. Have you considered or tried losing some length or would the arc just look too incongruent floating above the wheel?

I don't know if these will help, but here are a couple shots of fenders for an 18" motorcycle wheel tossed onto a 26" Typhoon. They wouldn't fit in the frame and these tires are smaller of course but might give you some idea of what the radius looks like.

They have some tubing under them to hold them up off the tire, but that means they rotated down against the tire lower down.

IMG_9315.jpg
IMG_9316.jpg

It will depend on how the fender follows the curve of the big tire. I may get some stainless sheeting and make some.

Last edited:
If you don't already know, motorcycle tire size goes by inner diameter, whereas bicycle tire size goes by outer diameter.
Concur! A standard 26" rim is 22" in diameter. If the sidewalls are 4" then total height or diameter is 30". A normal 26 x 2.125 tire has about 2" sidewall, making it 26" total.
A 26 x 1 3/8ths rim is taller, that's why the skinny tire still has 26" of height with 1 1/2" sidewalls.

Something I just remembered from the motorcycle forums... The chopper guys would sometimes make a motorcycle fender out of trailer fenders. They'd definitely be cheaper, probably more readily available too. Used ones from a junk trailer could be reworked in quicker time than fabbing from scratch

images (1).jpeg
314925_2.jpg
images (2).jpeg

Something I just remembered from the motorcycle forums... The chopper guys would sometimes make a motorcycle fender out of trailer fenders. They'd definitely be cheaper, probably more readily available too. Used ones from a junk trailer could be reworked in quicker time than fabbing from scratch

View attachment 270298View attachment 270299View attachment 270300
Thanks! I appreciate having a new set of options to consider. I could see those hatched ones cut to width.

Latest posts

Back