Works so good makes ya want to giggle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I started to remove the Patina ,from my Hiawatha. I took my tool of choice ...4 1/2'' china grinder with the 6'' wire cup...and did a test with the bike in my good ol Park bike holder thingie. Anyway I made a quick pass on the fender to see how good the Patina was stuck. As usual with most 60 year old paint ,it came off good. Well being the lazy person that I am ,I decided to take off what Patina I could without taking the bike apart first. Man it was cool....60 year old rusted bolts....a quick swipe with the handy dandy patina remover and they were clean as a whistle. Trouble cleaning the paint off your fenders....Buzzzzz they look good and the hard to hold fender brackets zzzzzztttt look like new . Oh and that pesky kickstand zippp its almost all clean. Now you still have to take the bike apart to clean the inside of the frame and forks .....but I got about 95% or more of the patina off. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

patinaremover004.jpg

Oh and if you ever wondered why you can swivel a bike 360 in your stand ......its to get the patina off the bottom :wink:

patinaremover001.jpg

Speed2XS said:
Awesome. How do you you tighten the nut on your grinder with that cup on? I need one of those...
You take off the two things that come with it and it leaves just the threaded part sticking out and the wire cup has the same threads and just screws on.

on a second note these small grinders have alot of torque and you need to be using the side that spins away from an edge. Like the back of the cup is spinning towards your work and the front is spinning away from it. if you brush towards and edge of say a fender it will grab it and either hurt something you need on your body or tearup the part. ALWAYS ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!! these things spit the little wires alot . They will eventually get your eyes.Did I mention ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES?????

Your stand adapter is interesting as an attachement for your vice. Do you have another way to attach your bike stand if you need the vice for something else?
Are you digging the frame jig out for a project?

I have not used an angle grinder and a cup wheel for this yet.I usually use a wire wheel on a drill,and it has worked well, but considering that I actually have 2 4 1/2"angle grinders. I may decide to dedicate one for this. The wire wheels tend to wear out fairly fast, looks as though the cup wheel would be more durable. :wink:

Uncle Stretch said:
on a second note these small grinders have alot of torque and you need to be using the side that spins away from an edge. Like the back of the cup is spinning towards your work and the front is spinning away form it. if you brush towards and edge of say a fender it will grab it and either hurt something you need on your body or tearup the part. ALWAYS ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!! these things spit the little wires alot . They will eventually get your eyes.Did I mention ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES?????

I use 4" buffing wheels on angle grinders and it is the same idea, catch your work going the wrong direction, and get ready for a body slam. :oops:

cman said:
Your stand adapter is interesting as an attachement for your vice. Do you have another way to attach your bike stand if you need the vice for something else?
Are you digging the frame jig out for a project?
I first built an attachment for the cealing with a pin that you pull out to remove it. I didnt like that arrangement . then i built a pipe holder thing to mount to the floor ...didnt like that either. the vice deal seems to work well. I take it out and hang it in the corner when im not using it. I built it sturdy where you could actually get on the bike with it in the stand and it would hold you. I bought the parks part from a guy for $40 and i love it. Im going to finish some of these bikes before i start doing any frame building. I will have to change my shop back to a jig shop and its kinda in the way for building bikes. Right now I dont have enough parts but I have about 10 or 12 to build. :roll:

Slick Rick said:
I have not used an angle grinder and a cup wheel for this yet.I usually use a wire wheel on a drill,and it has worked well, but considering that I actually have 2 4 1/2"angle grinders. I may decide to dedicate one for this. The wire wheels tend to wear out fairly fast, looks as though the cup wheel would be more durable. :wink:
man this deal works much better than a drill. I wouldnt use anything else,but you have to be careful. I know they make a 4'' grinder that is varible speed ... it would be perfect. It really dosent take 10,000 rpms to take off paint. :lol:
Hey speed I was silly enough to put an 8'' buffing wheel on my big sidegrinder and try to polish some mags. The wheel was only an inch away from you fingers. It caught on a bar really quick and liked to have broken my hand. Wont try that again.

that looks great uncle stretch!!! ive used the wire wheel and a drill method before. your way would probably work alot better though. and man do u have to be careful with those things or what!!! i was stripping a bike this summer in my garage and i had a wife beater tank top on, the wire wheel slipped off frame and got caught up in my shirt twisting it all around my drill and i had a huge bruise and kinda a really cool scar from accidentally trying to remove my skin/patina. oops!!! :oops:

Easy E

Its amazing how easy electric tool can hurt you ...and fast too. Although I had a few wrenches slip and bashed my hand on something and blood wound up everywhere ....no electricity involved.

elvis51 said:
and man do u have to be careful with those things or what!!! i was stripping a bike this summer in my garage and i had a wife beater tank top on, the wire wheel slipped off frame and got caught up in my shirt twisting it all around my drill and i had a huge bruise and kinda a really cool scar from accidentally trying to remove my skin/patina. oops!!! :oops:
I was stripping frame with one and got my fingers to close. It tore most of the flesh from the top of bones.

I have gotten alot of practice with mine . i can get within an 1/8 of an inch of a headbadge and never touch it. Its gotten like second nature to me. I see an old twinbar frame and I can feel my trigger finger start to squeeze and my hand tighten around an imaginary grinder handle.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :?

this is nuts! :lol: 75% of the stripping done,and less chance of fender damage,etc.,because the bike is intact and rigid! less frustration,less swearing,less time! :D this makes too much common sense. i`ve been putting off my non hot rod build for about 7 mos. now i`m inspired! :D after the spaceliner build,it`s resto-rod time,with the only complete pre-war, skip tooth bike i own. this critter! :D :D
41hawthorne0.jpg

ooohhhh nice bike . The only thing is you have to pull the crank and chain guard . It makes it easier to get to most of it. Mine stripped pretty easy . I was really happy with the results. still have to do the inside of the fenders but hey Its no biggie. Did I mention Wear safety glasses. :roll: :roll: you do not want to have to look for an opthamologist at the hospital because there is never one there when you need one. You will wind up with a dummie doctor that is going to try to rake something out of your eye with a tounge depressor. Did I mention wear safety glasses???

I bought a Ryobi 4 1/2" angle grinder awhile back. It has the handle that turns with the trigger, kinda handy. It also came with a brass wire wheel that I wore down to a nub cleaning chrome. And I can't find another one! :( ~Adam

Back