World Sport Redo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a Schwinn World Sport that a friend gave me. I thought I would redo it since it rides good. The only problem that I noticed is that the rear wheel could use some truing and there are some surface rust in spots. I put bars and brake levers on it from a mountain bike. I like to ride in a more upright position. I took it all apart and dropped it off at the powdercoaters tonight. Its going to be black with yellow forks. I thought I would break up the color some. Most all of the other stuff on the bike is black except wheels. I'll post some more pics when I get it back. Heres a before pic.

BEFORE
SANY0010a-5.jpg

I ordered some decals for it. Supposed to be NOS. Although they just say World. No Sport. But otherwise the same color and such. Wondering if I should switch rims altogether. I saw some nice looking 700s on ebay. Anyone switched to 700s? Any problems? :roll:

I picked up the frame and fork from the powdercoater tonight and put a little stuff on it. I still need to clean up the crank and pedals. I still haven't made up my mind if I'm gonna buy new wheels. I put the new head badge on it. This could pass for a Pittsburgh Steelers bike.
SANY0001-11.jpg

SANY0002-11.jpg

SANY0004-9.jpg

SANY0005-10.jpg

SANY0006-11.jpg

SANY0007-11.jpg

SANY0008-10.jpg

SANY0009-10.jpg

SANY0010-11.jpg

ive looked at this post a few times. and i gotta say i love the colors! especialy the headbadge matching. :D awsome. im likin the drop bars allittle better than the straight bar tho. mabey a set of bullhorns to make it more comfortable for daily riding? idk not a huge strightbar fan on road bikes....mabey its cuz of all the fixie hipsters i see with them in my area.... either way tho your bike looks great!! and i love world sports too

Thanks Chauncey, I like the look of the drop down bars too but my back doesn't. I'm not too informed on the fixie thing but what I have seen is that when the rear wheel moves the crank has to move too. I think that a freewheel is like a 10 speed bike as you can hold the crank still when up to speed. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the larger sprocket and just having a 5 or 6 speed bike.

oh no no. i don't mean for you to turn this bike into a fixie by any means. id much rather it be the 10 speed or something similar. i just meant alot of fixie riders use a straight bar setup like what your running. well ive gone through two world sports, and i love them nice classy lookin solid frame. if your lookin for more gear selection on it can i tempt you with a SA 3speed setup? im running one on mine, and i love it. i live in a pretty hilly area too and i've got no complaints just choose the right gear ratio ant your good. and it gives a nice clean look. (de-railers frustrate and annoy me) but i really like your color scheme on it just looks classy to me. for the bars tho have you looked at bull horns?

nice wheels the bike will look good. honestly for the bars if your not set on keeping those drop bars, just cut the bars and flip them. thats what ive done and all my freinds do. or find a rusty old set and cut those. bar tape will cover the metal anyways :D soo its all good.

Yeah i saw that in a build I think. Do you know if I can use the original brake levers and just cut right after them. I have the originals. Their aluminum as is the bars.

you could i f you wanted too. just take them off before you cut them. and get rid of the cruiser bar brake things (the hundles comming off the sides) that should do the trick. or i used a bmx short lever for one of mine. lots of websites make ones for these bars if you want somthing for it, but i see now problem using the originals i would have but mine dindt come with any brakes...

NICE looking bike! Just curious, never had anything powder-coated. Does the frame have to be sand blasted before they coat? Can it be applied over plastic (bondo)?

ahhh so you are going fixed gear afterall? well that should be fun, in that case you dont really need brakes though i wouldent go out without one. at least, (and i mean at the very least) keep the front brake! ive seen too many crashes haha :lol: nice wheels tho, and this bike really looks nice! what kind of crankset are you going to run now? the original or are you going to buy a single speed/ track set?

you mean put a cassete on the rear hub? i dont think you could get away with that on this wheel set. and if you did youd still have to dish the wheel. you might be able to get away with it, but then since your gonna have to dish the wheel anywyas id just put in a road bike hub in the back with the right cassete. its possible tho. not tryin to rain on your parade, im not expert just thinkin outloud.

oh ok. I 'm new to this and I thought that the free single and a 5 spsd. cass. would be an easy switch?? Oh well I learn something every time I do something wrong. I do have a couple wheels that aren't true that I could use the hubs out of if I do want to switch. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it a lot.

again im not expert, but if i rember correctly a 5speed wheel has a bit of a dish to it nothing as major as a 10speed, but again i could be wrong :?

Latest posts

Back