YEAH BABY!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooooh! Nice catch - I look forward to seeing what you do with that little number. I'll expect nothing less than the usual "Rat Rod" (AKA Steve) attention to detail :mrgreen:

-Mp

Well...tooka little road trip today to pick up the 1961 Flying Star. I'm glad I didn't pay more than $50 for the bike...she's a rat alrighty...ha ha!

I think a paint job, some new wheels and tires and a seat are in order. I may not paint the chainguard though....the graphics are too sweet.

Everything seems to be loose and wobbly on the bike right now. :shock:

100_3500.jpg

100_3501.jpg

100_3504.jpg

100_3507.jpg

100_3502.jpg

AWSOME! I love it as is, Tighten up the loose stuff, if ur rims are wobblin get em trued up and ride it!! i love it!!

Mucho nice catch! That's not a very common style Schwinn.

If it were up to me, there's no way I'd repaint this one (besides, you have some very shiny bikes already :mrgreen: ) A good cleaning and some polish on the chrome will make it sing. Maybe a springer to replace the tweaked front fork?

The weathered chain guard graphics are awesome :D :D :D

-Mp

Hmmm, yeah..maybe keep the paint...it is pretty crusty, but cool. :D

I will start another thread in the Gallery to keep a journal of the progress.

Thanks for the input guys!

I have a 57 Flying star with the tank. It's another one that I'm going to leave original. I will post some pictures later this week.

From what I've gathered over the years that was a one year only frame in 1961, then in 1962 the twin tubed molded into the seat stays. Then they stopped making the bikes like that. I built a custom 1962 like that, very cool and pretty rare. Nice score. I have some red tires if you're interested, they have been floating around the tire bin for years now...

Found this cool catalog shot from 1961. Looks like the coke bottle grips are original after all. Too bad I don't have the tank or the nift headlight.

61dlct17b.jpg

BOOYAH!!! indeed --- looking good!

The only critique I would make is the rims are too shiny :roll: relative to the absolutely primo patina on the frame and chainguard. If it were up to me (and it isn't, I know) I would do the rims in a red oxide primer.

I lo-o-o-ove this bike!

-Mp

I got excited and decided to mock it up to see how cool it would look with the springer and stuff. Let's just say, there's a coppertone carcass laying in my garage right now..ha ha.

I also wanted to see how the whitewalls would look. I am liking the red wheels on this bike. A matte finish would be cool...I may be too lazy though to do more wheel painting. :?

The chain needs to soak in Simple Green for a couple of days and the crank bearings are hosed. I also took some Mother's polish to the paint in one spot and it looks like she's going to look pretty sweet cleaned up. I'll be stearing clear of the chainguard though. :shock:

Rat Rod said:
Let's just say, there's a coppertone carcass laying in my garage right now..ha ha.:

I did suspect that might be the case LOL

I'll be stearing clear of the chainguard though.

That chain guard is so sweet (OK, I admit it, I have patina envy :mrgreen: )

I hope I didn't offend with my comment on the wheels.

-Mp

Latest posts

Back