You Make the Call! White Walls Vs. Black Walls

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know what you folks think about the tire choice going on here with the Columbia. The whitewalls seem to make it look a bit classier, more gentleman like, more "proper". But visually they tire look smaller and the whole thing looks more delicate in a way. The black looks beefier for sure. Could the the treads on it, they are both 2.125s.
I'm sure some of you might know whether white walls would be correct on a 39/40 Columbia Superb. Not really sure exactly what model this bike was either, I mean exactly how "Superb" was it. I think it might have been one of the lower end Columbia Superb models.
Which color would you go with.

its black
P1010466.jpg

its white
P1010518.jpg

I would get a set of red tires for that bike, but if your choice is only black or whitewalls I say black. Nice bike by the way.

In my not so humble opinion... Any bike that has a 3-color paint job like yours is a deluxe bike and should have whitewalls if you want to make it look original. You could also use some chrome rims to make it look period original. Gary

aka_locojoe said:
I think it depends on the look you want. Whitewalls make it look more original and blackwalls give it a more ratrod look.
I agree...The blackwalls look tougher...But, hey! Put one set on for a while, and when you get tired of them, switch! :mrgreen:

I think the whitewalls look better there, partly because the bike design itself is "busier".

In general, I prefer blackwalls, but that's partly because they are less common (and even hard to find here locally) on cruiser bikes.

With the black wheels I like the blackwalls better. I think the whitewalls might look better on a chrome wheel. :)

On another note, is the front fender on backwards? It looks to me like there is more fender hanging out in front of the fork than in back.

imho.....the blackwalls on the black rims looks best. but if you could find someone to pinstripe the wheels in gold and red,to match the bike,it would tie it all together! 8)

Ok, it's Back in Black. Thanks for the responses and feedback. To the guy asking about the fender being on backwards, the front is actually a rear fender, that's why it hangs a bit far forward. I like the look though. Some red pin stripping on the rim would be good. Originally it was off white with a red stripe but it was rusted to heck so I had to paint it.

P1010519.jpg

Back