1956 J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the new treads! I cant wait to see this thing finished 8)

I kept mine original and I wouldnt have it any other way! If I found a beehive springer that matched it, I would swap that out on mine but thats all I think :mrgreen:

DSCN8533.jpg

yoothgeye said:
Last question and I'll leave you alone, how is it pronounced? Bon-trager or Bont-rager or some other way?

BAHNT-RAA-JER

Love those tires Tank. Never seen those before. My Hanks haven't let me down yet! Get them suckers mounted!!

Yooth,
That's funny because I asked the guy at the LBS the same thing!! :lol: :lol:

He said it was Bont-Ray-Jer. Named after MTB pioneer Keith Bontrager (KB), now essentially the Trek 'house brand'.

I just hope there's not a lot of lettering on the whitewall to scrub off.

Craiggo,
Your bike is sweet! Yep, a beehive would be cool 'upgrade'. Love that color combo.

Question, does your seatpost go straight into the frame, or is there an adapter for that 5/8" seatpost?

Cheers,
Dr. T

Well, 27 days, 3 visits and several phone calls later, I got my tires! The wheels need torn down and rebuilt before I mount them, but couldn't resist mounting one on something! So, i threw one on an old Weinmann MTB rim. Granted it's a lot narrower than the stock rims, but dang they're fat! So, mo fatta, mo betta!

Proof of their size from the tags.
DSCF3650.jpg

I like the slick center with brick tread sides, BTW, these can be inflated to 50 psi, so they should roll nicely.
DSCF3653.jpg

Another bonus, no graphics on the sidewalls to scrub off.
DSCF3655.jpg

Love how far it sticks out beyond the rim. :mrgreen:
DSCF3654.jpg

Compared to a Thick Brick (on a wider rim, these will widen slightly on the stock 2.125 wide Higgins units)
DSCF3656.jpg

Compared to a Schwalbe Fat Frank mounted on a similar width rim, it's a little fatter and a little flatter.
DSCF3657.jpg

Eyeballing what it might look like on the front and rear, sure does fill those fenders in.
DSCF3658.jpg

DSCF3659.jpg

So, that's it, here they will hang until called into action.
DSCF3660.jpg

The bike will probably sit until Thanksgiving time, then I'll start the teardown.

Until then....

Cheers brothers,
Dr. T

I've never seen those Bontragers. Pretty cool tires!!

love the bike. love the tires. I vote for a super cleaning then new wheels and tires. Careful with the cleaning products on the white paint and decals. I'm sure you know to be careful but I couldn't help myself. :oops:

Well, I'm hoping I've got my 'mojo' back because I tore the bike apart today. :mrgreen:

Everything is bagged and tagged, now the rebuild begins. Plans are to refurbish the bike and upgrade the drive train with a 2-speed kickback to add some versatility while keeping it free of cables.

So, here we go...gonna make up a bucket of hot water with dish detergent and a soft scrub brush and see what happens. The red that has been covered (under the kickstand bracket and steer tube on the fork) is almost a candy red. Wish me luck!

IMG_20121229_170908.jpg

Stay tuned...

Cheers,
Dr. T

Glad to see you started some work on the old Higgins today :mrgreen: You should probably PM Steve and have him send you a gallon of Magic Texas water :wink: :lol:

You must be very serious about this build. You even went to Bath and Body Works for it's first scrubbing. :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
You must be very serious about this build. You even went to Bath and Body Works for it's first scrubbing. :mrgreen:

Ha ha, that's a good one! :lol: :lol:

Re: 1956 J.C. Higgins NEW BUILD NAME - 'Candy Cane Bliss'

1956 J.C. Higgins

NEW BUILD NAME - 'Candy Cane Bliss'

Lol - I didn't notice the Bath and Body Works bag initially, but now it is all I see!

Back