1956 J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, not at good as I hoped. I scrubbed the frame and fork with a hand/nail brush using Dawn dishwashing detergent and the results were less than I hoped for. Next, I'm going with some polishing compound. If that doesn't get me the results I may just wet sand it with some 0000 steel wool and clear coat it.

Honestly, the thought of a total restoration has crossed my mind. I know it's only original once, but the thought of a nice fresh candy apple powdercoat is appealing. The graphics and white accents are fairly simple and easy to reproduce. Just thinking.....

P.S. The red on the headbadge rubbed off too, so.....

Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Dr. T

I'm with you on that Peatbog. But,I thought about it a bit today. Since it's so complete (and always will be), I'm gonna hold off on a complete restore.

I'm gonna get it looking as good as it can, lace some new hubs into it and ride it as is. Maybe look around for a beehive springer to upgrade later.

I can always get it powdercoated and rechromed down the road.

May start the rubbing compound tonight, assuming I can find where I put it.......

Cheers,
Dr. T

I told you...you need Magic Texas Water! :lol:

Give it a little polish and I'm sure it will look fine :wink:

Got any pics of it washed? :?:

OK,OK, but they don't look much different than before.
DSCF3673_zps4be874a1.jpg

You can see the difference from where the tank was and the exposed paint.
DSCF3677_zpscfc0b264.jpg

DSCF3674_zps18ac468f.jpg

The fork is the roughest piece, so far.
DSCF3675_zps60ebada1.jpg

See that sexy candy apple red on the fork tube.
DSCF3676_zps1abbc213.jpg

Fingers crossed on the rubbing compound.

Cheers,
Dr. T

I'm sure you know this, but if you want to start with something a little less aggressive than rubbing compound, try polishing compound.
It would be cool if you could get some of that original red to shine back through.
Good luck!

Hey Doc...If you really are considering repaint, I would sell this bike and then buy something a little rougher. Maybe something already spray bombed? I bet you could sell this one for twice what you could pick up a spray-bombed tanker for. Not to mention, this is a really nice complete survivor.

mastronaut,
IF I ever decide to restore the paint on this one, it will be powdercoated. For $100, I have a local source that will blast and powder the frame, fork and fenders. Fortunately (I guess) Murray sourced a lot of parts from Wald so getting new chrome replacement parts like the headset, bars, etc wouldn't be too much $$$ either. The only parts that would need rechroming are the truss rods and the bracket. The rims look like they will polish up nicely.

kingfish,
Thanks for correcting me, I've been using the wrong term all along. I plan to use a polishing compound, not a rubbing compound.

Terry66,
This bike was graciously given to me by a fellow forum member, so I plan on honoring his gesture by refurbishing it for now and proudly riding it for a long while.

Thanks guys for all the encouragement and support while I ramble on about everything.

Cheers,
Dr. T

This stuff works like magic! :D They use to sell it at Wally World, but mine doesn't carry it anymore.

polishsm.jpg

I know it's only original once. Hey Dr T, I think that saying was just made up over at the Cabe, so they would have to buy paint. :wink:
It will turn out nice either way. Everybody has faith in your work.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Nick,
Can I use it on paint or just metal?

Cheers,
Dr. T

Both! :D That's what's nice about this stuff :mrgreen:

Yoothgeye...

I have no idea :( They use to sell it at Wal-Mart, but now I can't find it anywhere :x

OK readers and followers of this thread.....

I went to visit DonOne and Double Nickle tonight (it's been a LOOOONG time since we've hung out!) We took a long look at the paint on the JCH and it's NOT coming back..

So, I made a decision. Every bike in my stable is a 'compilation' of parts (in true 'rat' tradition). Some of these mash ups of parts have done through design, but most have been through necessity due to the 'incompleteness' of the starting point.

Fellas (and lasses) this bike is BY FAR the most complete vintage bike I've had the opportunity to possess EVER. This is my opportunity to have a true restored 'classic', the 'crown jewel' of my collection. I will have to search for NOTHING to restore this machine to it's original glory, so that is what I've decided to do.

I'm still going to update the drive train to make it more rideable for me and my terrain, but I'm going to try and reproduce the color scheme and graphics from 1956.

My next step is to look at some the parts in the stash and sell some items off to provide funding for the project, so look for those soon (that will also make Mrs. T happy :mrgreen: ).

I hope you all wish me luck in my first attempt at a restore, it should be fun.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Good call to follow your heart, but this means you won't have anything extra to spend on a super cool Nirve Cannibal!!!!! :p
I know you will do the Higgins proud!!!! Looking forward to following it.

Back