1956 J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be watching this one Dr T. I am getting ready to start my resto on my '41 Huggman tanker, so I'll let you make all the mistakes and I'll learn from you! :lol:

I'm sure you'll nail it. The graphics don't look too hard to recreate.

Well, progress has slowed on this one, mostly due to two 70+ hour weeks at work.
I'm not complaining, these days, you're fortunate to have work... :roll: Just doesn't leave much time for family, let alone bike building.

I was able to get the headbadge off, not as cleanly as I would have liked, but I've got a plan for replacing it.. :wink:
All I need to do on the frame now is go over it and look for any welds I'd like to clean up. Then once I make about a million photos and measurements of the graphics and paint accents, I'll send it off to the powdercoater.

This would be easier if I was restoring a Colorflow, you can buy those decal sets off of eBay! Since this one was a 'mid-level' model (upgrade with truss rods, a simple no-horn tank and a non-lighted rear rack) I haven't been able to locate a set of decals for it. So....gotta make em'!

Fortunately, the graphics are still all there for the most part.
DSCF3706_zpsf10b2185.jpg

I noticed that the screening was a little 'off' from the factory. Notice how the circles are perfectly concentric and the offset on the chevron isn't 'right' either.
DSCF3708_zps41869e9a.jpg

So, I taped down some tracing paper and ran over the lines as best I could.
DSCF3707_zps9d6926f4.jpg

Taped the tracing to my daughter's lightboard.
DSCF3711_zps8bfbee87.jpg

Broke out the compass and a straight edge and.......
DSCF3714_zps13f3898e.jpg

Hopefully, a sign shop can turn these into vinyl decals. I traced the JC Higgins script too, but may just buy one from Memory lane in the correct size. I'm not sure how well the pic shows the script but it was originally done in gold with a black 'shadow' offest. I should be able to duplicate that. Lastly, I'll to reproduce those slainty-looking things in a different size and length in red for the chainguard and in gold for the sides of the rack.

Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

What a wonderful project Doc!!! I would trade my kidney for one like it!
What about water slide decal paper? size A4, cheep and easy to find on epay, it worked marvelous on many of my projects... if you email me good pics of those graphics and the sizes I can send you back exact printable versions of them :wink:

Got some new coke bottle grips for the Higgy today.
Got them from a seller on the CABE for $12.50 shipped! He has a bunch of different colors and styles too,easy transaction and quick shipment.
Here's a link to his thread: http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...s+Sale+Coke+Bottle+Elgin+Torpedo+Finger+grips

They're not an exact match to the originals, but that's good because they're a little larger than the originals and have a slightly 'older' look.

DSCF3776_zps35eaf982.jpg

DSCF3777_zpsc6059e45.jpg

DSCF3778_zps7c0ea7f7.jpg

That's it for now..

Cheers,
Dr. T

Bikes go better with Coke!

Well. I've been pulled away from my bikes lately, you know, life and work...

But I've recently got two parts that have rekindled this build.
First, I got a set of the red coke bottle grips from Ian. I know I showed you guys the others that I purchased, but his are a lot nicer.

Then I found my Holy Grail......the JC Higgins Rocket light by Delta.
image_zps6c57a6c9-1-1.jpg

These are kind of rare, so Double Nickel convinced my into grabbing it while I could. Pretty cool light, huh?

Can't wait to get it!

Until then...
Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spent some time removing the fender braces and polishing the years of crud off of them.
While I was at it, I took a few pics with the light installed.
image_zps30d9830b.jpg

image_zpsb2565d42.jpg

image_zps2502e48b.jpg

Nice, isn't it?

Next question.....only the front fender has a white tip on it.....should I stay true to the original paint scheme or mimic the front 'arrow' on the rear fender?

Shot of the front fender
image_zps85207881.jpg

The rear
image_zps45a54426.jpg

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers,
Dr. T

The light looks sick!!!
I am thinking that you should not mimic the white on the rear fender. I think it will visually interfere with the straight lines of those cool thick JCH wraparound fender braces.
Glad to see you finding time to tinker again!

Thanks Brian, yeah, after looking at the recent restore that Smoopy did, I was thinking the same thing....

However, I thought, what's the harm in mocking it up with some white duct tape
EC3F5E60-C364-4FD7-9540-B67E38B5D7A8_zpshvqkkksq.jpg

I threw on the wrap around brace and the stock reflector, hmmm.....
353FF426-6EFB-4BA9-ADD6-0D32604D6021_zpsspiuonrj.jpg

Here's a shot from the side...picture the brace painted the same white.....
1E6A14C8-DB84-4C4A-86F7-6DBDABF3ADB6_zpspwctnuoj.jpg

The stock graphics on the tank have a gold pinstripe separating the white from the red. If I do tip both fenders, I plan to mimic that separator.

Remember, this is not going to be a true 'restoration', rather a resto-mod, a Custom-Flow or since I ordered the 2 speed SRAM Automatix hub yesterday, an Even-Flow (I'm a fan of the band Pearl Jam, so may make that the name). Next up, I bought a large flange, heavy duty hub from ind-chuckz, I'm ordering a set of 49mm wide chrome rims (Worksman style) and lacing them with 12 gauge stainless spokes.

Got some white leather from eBay to recover the seat, still figuring out how to lace the red piping around it (I've got a plan for that, I think)

Stay tuned kids!

Cheers,
Dr. T

I can't wait to see it come together
Think it going to be really cool...

Like the wrap around fender brace
and the idea of the gold separator stripe

Kinda like restro-mods, their usually the best of both worlds

Glad to see some progress being made on the Even-Flow!
My opinion is not to add the spear. It gets a little lost under the reflector and conceals the cool brace.

(BTW, the graphics are still safely stored on my computer if or when you need them.)

Glad to see some progress getting done! That fancy headlight fits the build perfectly. I also vote no for the white on the rear fender. It looks good, but the brace gets lost in it. I think the brace will be enough white for the rear fender.

Hello all from London! I'm here on business this week and planning my next steps in my down time. Well, like most decisions I make, I've changed my mind on the rims. I bought a set of NOS chrome dropcenters from eBay instead of the wide Worksman style I had planned on. They'll be more 'era' correct and really make those 2.35 Solanas 'balloon' out. I may make a change to the front hub too. The sealed bearing unit is great, it's aluminium like the near rear, but I have to open up the front ends to fit the larger axles. It's wider too, so the forks will need to be spread. That's easy enough, just not sure I like the way it looks.....

Stay tuned....rims should be waiting when I get home on Friday...
Cheers,
Dr. T

Back