59 Western Flyer Super Deluxe Tank Model (AKA 3-on-the-tree)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The funny part is the chain guard is going to be harder I think because I really want it to say "Super Deluxe" but the area goes from very tall to almost nothing in a big hurry. Playing with the idea of at the big end putting '59 before the super deluxe to even it up a bit.

Some kind of physical progress today...

Think I finally have the chain guard smooth enough for paint.
eqanehuh.jpg

Also getting some paint inside the tank; want to try to keep it from rusting again.
e2a2y7yz.jpg

I do a very thin light silver base coat but it isn't needed with good old grey primer as far as the color is concerned; but a base coat helps fill imperfections. been intending to give this paint a go over various colors of base coats to see the results.
This paint is a bit strange as its thin but seems to cover decent

It has a lot of pop wait till I get clear coat on it

The reflective coating gives me an idea... I have an old 63-64 metal bicycle plate that needs a repaint.

Starting to look like the chain guard will be ready for its design sooner than the tank as I've got the first round of copper on it already & I'm still working on getting the dents & dings smoothed out of the tank.

Not sure exactly what I want to do.
Made a lot of renderings but so far only these 2 seem anywhere near good enough.
2uzajena.jpg

te4a9aze.jpg

Personally I'm leaning toward the '59 SUPER DELUXE version as I think it fills the space better and just in case I don't get the 3 speed to work out right.

I've made some with script lettering & also combo big/small lettering but I'm not liking it.
Think its the crazy colors that keep making me want simple block letters for a contrast.

Thoughts or suggestions welcome.

The chain guard is looking good. A lot of the old bikes had the words look like the automobile nameplates, or in different fonts and sizes, like "Super" or "Deluxe" would be smaller than the other name. It might make better use of your limited space, and might be duplicated the same way on the tank. Just a couple suggestions.

examples:

ipcl5f.jpg

2qbhoc7.jpg

104izkm.jpg

Thanks I'll see is I can come up with something else I like but so far the 59 design is my favoriet

Just realized I never mentioned. I don't know what they repainted this bike with but the aircraft stripper doesn't seem to touch it so I've been hand sanding and wire wheeling everything.

Couple pics of the back of the chain guard in 2 different lightings to show the color. There is only 1 coat of clear on but even that made the color spring to life.

duny9yta.jpg

saqa2aze.jpg

ujesy2e7.jpg

8ymada5e.jpg

Paint is looking great!

Do yourself a favour and check this site for fonts and making decals:
http://doityourselflettering.com/create/
You do all the designing, choose fonts, sizes, special effects, etc, yourself and when you are happy with it you just hit "order" and they do the rest.

Luke.

umu6ydeg.jpg

sy4u9ysy.jpg

e6e9usas.jpg

Felt adventures so I masked and sprayed the chain guard.
Didn't come out quite the way I figured but its not too bad for being masked by hand.

Still trying to decide if I want to sand it back off or keep it.

This picture is an attempt to show the color I used.
ehy9a3eb.jpg

Last edited:
Back