Back in Black is back - 7/28 DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Back in Black is back - 9/19 - LED headlight built/installed

love the light, might use the same idea

Re: Back in Black is back - 9/19 - LED headlight built/installed

Thanks for the comments!

Sorry for all the small updates, but you guys know the drill, there never done!

Got my repro Columbia rack from Roadmaster, first thing I did was grind the rivets off the braces and flipped them to the opposite side so the swoop matches my fender braces. I also bent it down more right below the seat post to get it to sit closer to the fender. The braces aren't tightened at the top but it will sit level when they are.

Now I was able to flip my lucky 7 backwards and mount the seat backwards like I wanted, and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It rides so much nicer now, before pedaling was a little awkward because the seat was too far forward.

Now, my question, do you think the rack brace looks ok not covering the fender brace? The curve is a little different. I could possibly modify it and move the mounting location, but I'm not sure how it would look. What do you guys think? My dad says it looks fine but I'm not 100% sold yet

Also, need to pick up 2 of the small red reflectors that go on hub shiners (Of course I sold my last 2 pairs last month because I never would have needed them) to use as lights, I'm going to mount a 9 LED flashlight on each side of the rack for tail lights.

Photo0336.jpg

Photo0337.jpg

Re: Back in Black is back - 9/28 - New Rack - Need opinions

i think itd be easier to just bend the bottom of the braces to match rather than modifying the mounting points. but to me it looks ok, and would look great with both braces matching. its just those little details that make a bike look like someone put thought into it.

I'm with Dad, Looks good the way it is, makes it look equal with the front. I think the fender brace should show to balance with the front. With the springer and everything going in front It looks Cool ! Now paint it Black and have it ready for the Chicago monthly ride in October.

Looks better than before the way it is. :wink: If anything, I would say move the fender brace, not the rack.

deorman said:
Looks better than before the way it is. :wink: If anything, I would say move the fender brace, not the rack.

Thanks, I think the straight strut on the old rack was distracting. I dont want to mess up the original fender so I'm going to leave it as is. Should have it back together tomorrow.

Re: Back in Black is back - 9/30 - rack done!

Well I can never leave things alone. I wasn't happy with that rack, the metal was too thin and the braces didnt look good. Found some original cwc stuff and started putting it on tonight. Still need to find a Hiawatha stamped guard or a blank one.

Photo0422-1.jpg

Re: Back in Black is back - 12/7

This bike/build is sick!!! (the good way :wink: )
You should change her name to Chameleon!
The amazing thing is, I love all versions and it would be hard for me just to chose one.

Re: Back in Black is back - 12/7

Skipton said:
Turn singles and all!....Cool!

Yeah, it looks like its all there too, I haven't pulled it apart yet to check. Plan is to make it LED without ruining any of the original hardware.

Gdcast said:
This bike/build is sick!!! (the good way :wink: )
You should change her name to Chameleon!
The amazing thing is, I love all versions and it would be hard for me just to chose one.

Thanks man! I feel the same way, its hard to choose just one look, I guess thats why we all have so many bikes!

Back