Bat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say this is quite possibly the BADDEST looking bike I've ever seen! I was originally wanting my bike to have this low slung look but had no idea how to accomplish it...maybe after the build-off I will make some changes based on your bike. And I can completely picture a early era Batman on this bike!

Thanks Joker!I am truly flattered.I wasn't going for this look and was convinced it was a waste of time to mock it up with the 24" fork and wheel but once I got it out in the street and stood back to have a gander at it,I knew it had to stay.

As with all builds,life has prevented me from making much headway on this one lately.

I had to finish a bike for a John Deere collector.
7417712586_d53d7a367c_z.jpg

Wanted to upgrade the drivetrain on my '48 DX
As purchased
7417882456_6e231b6bee_z.jpg

New parts
7417761154_4365a75c81_z.jpg

7417767476_2a401edb74_z.jpg

Then went garage sailing for some accent pieces.Found some cool stuff that may find it's way onto Bat Rod.
3T Mutant stem.Will be used here.
7417881298_5007b5e5ca_z.jpg

Some OLD saddle bags for another build.Perfect scale for a bicycle.
7417870446_bbedbfe75d_z.jpg

12" Skeleton.It fits a penny farthing sculpture I have.Also has the dome.
7417861438_97bd98fcce_z.jpg

Unused Binks Wren 2 airbrush purchased from a retired guy who bought it in college.
7417866084_461898d0ff_z.jpg

A silver tea set and assorted silverware for accent pieces.
7417856710_80e44e4761_z.jpg

7417850624_388fac0b27_z.jpg

And did some testing of a technique to make the tins nice and ratty to match the paint on the frame.
Scrap from rear fender was stripped of paint.Front fender scrap was not stripped.
Before test.
7417730520_c3dc273dc3_z.jpg

After pickling.
7417734226_e8bc6df8f6_z.jpg

First application of magic "patina" solution.
7417744190_a22c91b4cf_z.jpg

After solution dried.
7417753642_af1020355f_z.jpg

After several applications of solution.Then rubbed off the fragile dust layer with a paper towel.
7417775742_177b6c6787_z.jpg

Then gave the right side my special "hand rubbed oil" treatment.
7417837398_0db0cf24e8_z.jpg

I also found a John Force Silver Series Action Racing Collectable.
7417849880_8d3a58c2f6_z.jpg

Then a bunch of bikes found me and had to get them stuffed into "The Hole" to make room to tear into Bat Rod.Then my time has been consumed with responsibilities and haven't been able to work on it.Overhauling my nephews bike.Had a job interview Thursday and was notified that night the job is MINE! :D :D A great opportunity I've been waiting a long time to find.However,it will be some long hours and starting in the middle of peak season.I start Tuesday and have a 1.5 hour commute...each way until I relocate late Aug-early Sept.I also have to work 2 Saturdays a month.I really hope I have some time to get this thing built. :?

Thanks to all you ratters for your support and humbling comments!I don't want to let you down :!: :!:

Yeah i see ya! Remember how I rode ya last year so now I'm proud of ya moving like you are! Keep it up. Peace

Thanks for the encouragement Jake :!: My hope is that since I will be in management,I will have more energy to put into buildin'.Time will be limited however.I need to sort through over 200 bikes to lighten the load for relocating in a couple months.I also have another John Deere road bike to bring back to life for the same collactor.He collects the tractors.Not the dye cast stuff either.He buys the real thing :!: He will be a great ally to my bike addiction since he goes to farm auctions.And every farm has at least one barn........ :D :D

Welcome back my yard sale brotha!!! I love looking at your stuff and thinking how I might use it.

Bat Rod is just as sick a build as sick can be. I can't wait to see more of it.

hahahahahaha.You've got that right Peat!Let 'em think whatever they want,as long as they aren't Psychiatrists.

kingfish254 said:
Welcome back my yard sale brotha!!! I love looking at your stuff and thinking how I might use it.

Bat Rod is just as sick a build as sick can be. I can't wait to see more of it.

Thanks for the props kingfish.I was thinking of using the handle for a rear fender bracket but I'm not sure.I'll have to cut up the other pieces to see if they will work out.If not,I'll save them for some brake levers on something else.

Thanks Bean :!: I hope to impress you(and everyone else) in the future :shock:

Much appreciated Peatbog.However,I feel as though I haven't done anything but LOTS of mock ups to figure out which parts the bike wanted.The real work has been staring me in the face for about a month now.With time running out and uncertainty of the time I will have 'til the deadline,some things I was planning to learn on this build(wheel building)might be hired out to make it to the voting this year.With all the magnificent builds going on that I'm trying to keep up with(yours included)time is of the essence!Thanks again for your support :wink:

The Freaky Bunnies are getting hungry for an update!!!!!!

bunnyteeth.jpg

Peatbog said:
The evil bunnies have the power to pull us all in. Do not look them in the eyes...

They will put you into a hypnotic spell ,,,,,,,,,, vote for Flex-Liner 7 - vote for Flex-Liner 7 - vote for Flex-Liner 7

Peatbog said:
:shock: Hey, are you allowed to vote for one bike three times? I was just wondering...

Whatever gave you the idea to do that? :oops:

Man I was hoping to keep those freaky bunnies from attacking my build :!: They creep me out.Unfortunately,my new job has kept me busy 12 to 16 hours a day,6 days a week not including the hour commute each way.Add in the fact that living alone requires me to keep up with household chores leaves about 4 hours a day for sleep if I am lucky.I also need to find a place to live closer to work and start packing so that when I do find a place,I can move.I also need to start thinning the heard of bikes I have been accumulating in hopes of opening my own vintage bike shop,which has been erased since accepting said new job.I think I finally need to accept the fact that the Bat Rod will not be built in time for judging in BO7 :cry: :cry:
My new career oppportunity is just too time consuming.I have been waiting a looong time for an opportunity like this and couldn't pass it up.I had all but given up hope of finding a situation like this and it blind sided me when I have been working for the last 2 years to set myself up to open my own bike shop when our economy started to turn around.It all happened really fast and came about in the busiest time of year in the industry.Barely enough time to keep up with handling business plus I need to be trained on lots of things I don't know yet.We are also in a rebuilding phase to bring our branch to a level where it needs to be.There is a lot of work ahead of us.Most of which will be this winter when volume slows to a moderate level.I may even have time to build bikes :D
I may wait to 'til the deadline to bow out of the Build Off just in case I find time to git er done.However,I am a realist and have a lot on my plate for the forseeable future.My life has been shaken like a snow globe and I need to focus on taking full advantage of the opportunities presented to me.It's going to be challenging for a while but will totally worth it in the long run.I always enjoy a good challenge and always come out the other side a better person.But I am only human and can only do so much in a 24 hour period.I appreciate everyone's encouragement and support so far in this year's BO and am sad to let everybody down with the lack of progress lately.I will not compromise the quality of this build just to meet the deadline and will remain optimistic about finishing.You guys and gals deserve the best I can give.There are some incredible people here building come amazing bikes.I just hope to find time to be among you at the finish line :!: :!: Thanks again to all and good luck :wink: :wink:

Well, Congrats on the new job!!!! If you have to choose between your career (or real life in general) and a bike build, you definitely picked the right contest to excel at. BRAVO!!!!

As far as Bat Rod goes, I seriously think you throw some grips on that baby and enter it like it sits.

This is one sweet rat!!!!!!!

7258588834_ce6b7fddc8_z.jpg

Thaks for the props guys!I wish I could but this is just the mock up.The parts need to be fitted and finished to bring it to the level I expect.It should be fairly easy to do,just need the time.If it gets moved to the Builds section,I hope you will all keep it on your radar and promise you won't be disappointed.Like I said before,you guys deserve the best I can give and nothing less:!:

Bike looks cool as is. It'll always be there. You have big responsibilities and you gotta take care of business first. Working on the bike in your rare spare time can be a good distraction and a good source of relief from the stress of your circumstances as it has been for me. Good luck buddy!

East

I think you should enter it as is also, or send it to me and I´ll finish it :lol:
No, really this more than good enough to enter

Latest posts

Back