Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Western Flyer....$100. Cape Canaveral
Thoughts?
sfw.jpg

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bik/5920538627.html

Front wheel/fender's showin' a little sea air wear, still, seems a fair price for a decent "repop". I like that fork style, most of the originals I see are bent.

HAHA, that's bad but it's nothing compared to this abortion from the Fresno Craigslist, I've posted it before but it's worth a second look (and laugh).

00X0X_k9GCJunm3K9_600x450.jpg

https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5897965943.html
Hahahaha what the F is that any way ? when they start getting that weird it's not even a rideable bike . I don't get it [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Front wheel/fender's showin' a little sea air wear, still, seems a fair price for a decent "repop". I like that fork style, most of the originals I see are bent.
That's probably one of the repops from 95 I think. Sure looks worth a hundred bucks, easy. Unless something is broken.

I know a little bit about 'old' bikes..not as much as the eagle eye bike aficionados on here, but i'm learning a lot from you all.
I didn't think it was an old old bike, but sometimes I don't know what to think about all of these reproduction bikes. :doh:
At least this dude is asking a fair price. or best offer..instead of scraping off some paint and trying to pass it as an antique and charge big bucks. I wonder how many folks get zapped by that one...I see it a lot on CL.
There's this older guy down the street who wanders by here a lot, cuz he see's me working on bikes all the time...riding the shiniest 'OLD' schwinn..its a reproduction...I don't know..of the Breeze..or something like that...he's thrilled he only paid $500 bucks for such an old bike. I just go 'Wow'..you got a real good deal there buddy" :bigsmile:
But, that's not what I really want to tell him....lol...

I think that Western Flyer was made by Emory, and never had an original version back in the 50's, it was just designed to have that look. The cheaper chrome is usually the first thing to rust. They and the other repops usually get passed off as 50's bikes. This is the first one I've seen advertised for a good price.
Some of the newer schwinns made in China look like the old ones, but there are obvious differences. If you just watched pickers and have no background in them, then you usually wind up with a 300 dollar bike from CL that is a $129 walmart cruiser.

Correction! That repop looks like the Columbia made bikes (They had a green Columbia repop, same bike) made around 83 or 84. That's because of the springer forks, the later Emory made, around 89 weren't the Columbia frames. I'd say it's worth more than 100.
s-l200.jpg

Last edited:
I think that Western Flyer was made by Emory, and never had an original version back in the 50's, it was just designed to have that look. The cheaper chrome is usually the first thing to rust. They and the other repops usually get passed off as 50's bikes. This is the first one I've seen advertised for a good price.
Some of the newer schwinns made in China look like the old ones, but there are obvious differences. If you just watched pickers and have no background in them, then you usually wind up with a 300 dollar bike from CL that is a $129 walmart cruiser.

Correction! That repop looks like the Columbia made bikes (They had a green Columbia repop, same bike) made around 83 or 84. That's because of the springer forks, the later Emory made, around 89 weren't the Columbia frames. I'd say it's worth more than 100.
s-l200.jpg

Yep, thanks..good info there W.Cat...."the look"...I know what you mean.but you'd better look quick..I' can shine up a Schwinn chrome from the 70s..or even earlier 90's Huffy's, a late 70s Spalding I have...shines like new, it'll blind you in the sun...virtually every newer MallWart bike I flip , I have to either spray the fenders, or just lose them..the rust is that pathetic on a bike only a year or two old...thanks...franco

A few months back I looked at a repop Schwinn cruiser that was green and looked really nice in the pictures. When I got to see it in person I passed. Bike had a lot of rust on the chrome. It was a China bike and not a Taiwan one. Just garbage really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You guys are breaking my heart with all these goofy Craigslist pages that are no longer available.

Here's one from CL in Fort Myers FL that I took screen caps from:

antiquejohndeere.jpg

year.jpg

I was "pretty sure" John Deere wasn't selling any mixte frame ten speeds with spoke reflectors back in 1935, but then I saw the "Made in Taiwan" sticker and realized, "oh yeah, it was a foreign model." (Except we called it Formosa in 1935.)

Rare, all original but the seat, and the best part is it only had ONE OWNER... that's what makes it worth $50.

taiwan.jpg

Last edited:
What a deal.... listed for $3 in the subject line, with a bait and switch price change in the advert:

althea.jpg

really.jpg

Purchased brand new from a friend, and still brand new. You have to use them twice before they become officially "used" bicycles.

I'd be kind of surprised if she had time to see everyone who wanted to look at it if she was only in town for 4 days!

I'm thinking of texting her to ask if it is still available, since she was only in the area until two weeks ago.

(And I just had to edit to add: Who comes down from the mountains for 4 days and brings the bike they've never ridden along to sell? And, I'll be "between Sarasota and Naples?" That's a 3 hour driving range between those two places. Or maybe she's just walking the bike from Sarasota to Naples so it will remain brand new?)

Last edited:
Clearly, the 68 model is far more desirable than the 70s model.
500bucks.jpg

Yeah - I think you DID post it already. After I posted it, I saw that there were two earlier posts of this one, and in one of them a few months ago, we was trying to get $1000 ! ! Yeow. I think you have to say "rare" at least and "like new" twice in the listing for that. Sorry for double posting, but at least now I know I wasn't imagining it. :)

Back