Diamond in the Rough- Polished Gem Almost done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Diamond in the Rough- '34 Rollfast Ballooner

Bars, rack and rims will be ready to pick up tomorrow afternoon. Spokes and grips and I will be riding. Might see if I can find a really nice ND Model D to use instead of the Model A. I kinda want to save it for a build off bike.

Lookin good bro! Glad to see ya back on the site, I was gettin worried about ya! :mrgreen: Thought you took up knitting or something! :lol:

pick said:
Lookin good bro! Glad to see ya back on the site, I was gettin worried about ya! :mrgreen: Thought you took up knitting or something! :lol:

No knitting for me! I have been on a couple times a day, just keeping a low profile. Been busy recovering from the move and working with a new dog.

429637_2959941732002_1665316682_2637412_1741414147_n.jpg

That will come in handy protecting your bikes from me! :lol: :mrgreen:

Bike looks awesome... dog looks awesome. Good choices on both!

All parts are back from powder. I calculated my spoke length this morning and both wheels came up at 10 1/4". Makes it easy since the lbs stocks them and they are only $.25 each. I am headed up there after lunch to pick them up. If it wasn't for the rain I might be riding today. I also have to buy some new nuts and bolts since the move ate most of the original ones. :(

Unfortunately the lab metal treatment on the bars didn't work out well at all. The first time they coated it the lab metal out-gassed real bad and caused tiny bubbles in the coat when they baked it. They stripped the bars back down and pre-baked them longer and hotter to try and eliminate the out-gasing. This just caused the lab-metal to flake off the bars. We decided to just coat them and i will have to try to find a set of correct bars in better shape.

When I get to lacing the wheels up I am really considering three leading-three trailing set-up instead of the typical three cross.

Any way you could braze the damaged areas with brass, smooth them out, then recoat? You would still have to preheat, but should work.

I see now what you mean on the bars! No easy fix there! Wheels are looking sweeeeeet! 8)

Re: Diamond in the Rough- Polished Gem '34 Rollfast Ballooner

Looks awesome Cameron! :D A little jealous it's not my own :mrgreen:

Sweeeeet!

I dont know how you want to make your laid back seat post, but I have the leftover ends I cut off of some cranks (used to make my car show stanchions)

For reference... Here's a version that Sensor came up with (scroll down about halfway down the page)
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5881&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Were you using "Hi Temp Lab Metal", or the regular stuff? The high temp stuff is supposed to stand up to heat better. Supposedly you can use it to fix cracked engine blocks and the like.

As far as that goes, you might try JB Weld too. If nothing else it might be a good experiment to try both on a pitted part and have your coater try to coat it. The High Temp Lab Metal isn't cheap though...I think it's a minimum of $50 to play around with.

Toeslider said:
Were you using "Hi Temp Lab Metal", or the regular stuff? The high temp stuff is supposed to stand up to heat better. Supposedly you can use it to fix cracked engine blocks and the like.

As far as that goes, you might try JB Weld too. If nothing else it might be a good experiment to try both on a pitted part and have your coater try to coat it. The High Temp Lab Metal isn't cheap though...I think it's a minimum of $50 to play around with.

It was the hi-temp. I am just calling it as it is. I will find a better set of bars sooner or later.

I am so close I can taste it, but wasn't able to get much done today. I did manage to get some round stock to make my laid back seat post and a binder bolt for the stem. The original was 3/8"-20 which puts it between standard coarse and fine thread. I got a 3/8"-24 and tapped the threads on the stem to match.

Hopefully I can find someone this week who has a torch and will heat my round stock up and not charge me a lot for a few minutes of their time.

Back