Diamond in the Rough- Polished Gem Almost done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bike is complete, but not yet done. The pedals were loaned to me from ratfink1962 and i am not feeling the Model A hub. I will find my own pedals and the hub will be replaced with a Model D. Then I can call it done.

The bike is making its first public display at the Park City Chill Show. I will be taking lots of pics to share this weekend.

IMAG0793.jpg

IMAG0791.jpg

gcrank1 said:
I would really like to hear why (inquiring minds, and all that.....).

My reasons are multifold-

1- The Model A is about 15-20 years older than the rest of the bike. The Model D and the Musselman are the correct vintage for the bike.

2- This is the first Model A I have owned and I don't like the way it rides. It slips when you go to brake. I talked to one of my club members who if more familiar with the hubs. He said it is a common problem with them. He isn't sure if it is caused by nearly a century of wear, poor design, or out of adjustment.

A lot of people talk a lot smack at a bike show. This is not a competition bla, bla bla. We are here to make new friends bla, bla bla. It feels real freaking good when you win a trophy or something for something you created. Enjoy that prize, you deserve it!

hey....your truing stand looks like mine(minus the zip tie indicators and its a tube fork instead of a blade but close enough!) :lol:
hope it does well and sorry to see it go. btw....what happened to the model a? and what kind of issues did it have assuming it wasnt cut up?

sensor said:
btw....what happened to the model a? and what kind of issues did it have assuming it wasnt cut up?

It is currently sitting on my hub shelf. I keep hoping someone will want it before I find the time to cut it. It slips when you start to pedal. I don't know if it is an adjustment issue, 90 years of wear, or something else.

Back