E-Rat-Icator- On the move again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: E-Rat-Icator- a Gripping build!

herr_rudolf said:
That sucks big time man...
Wishing you all the best.

Remember: It's no substitution for anything but building bikes will get your mind off of things, to some degree ofcourse. :)

Being home by myself will give me more time to spend in the garage... :wink:

my wife graduates nursing school in october, hopefully will get a good job and i can stay home and play with bikes all day! :mrgreen:
she doesnt know thats the plan, yet. :roll:

Progress is still slow. I have gotten a few pieces painted and I am waiting on a call from my decal man.

My wife did get hired at one of the local school districts. So that is some very good news!

Once the black on top of the fenders has cured I will paint the inside green to tie them in with the other parts.

2011-05-23134359.jpg

2011-05-23134411.jpg

Lookin good Cameron! Can't wait to see the finished project. What a cool chainring! 8)

I seem to have lost all motivation on this build. I keep hoping to be struck by some part in the garage or idea here on the site, but I keep coming up empty. My paint got marred by my work stand. I started to clean it back up and buff it out, but lost intrest half way through. Now it is hanging up at the back of the garage looking depressed. I was hoping a break from it to work on my '37 BSA Tandem and the bike for my wife would get me back on track, but no. I only regret not using the BSA for my build off bike.

I have plenty of other frames waiting in the wings for their turn on the stand. Perhaps I will use my one frame swap to start over.
2011-05-29163722.jpg

Anybody have some words of motivation to help me get back on track?

udallcustombikes said:

This always worked for me:

"If you don't get finished before your father gets home, you'll be in big trouble."

yoothgeye said:
udallcustombikes said:

"If you don't get finished before your father gets home, you'll be in big trouble."
yoothgeye is quite the comedian :lol: :lol: :lol:

Double Nickle said:
yoothgeye said:
udallcustombikes said:

yoothgeye is quite the comedian :lol: :lol: :lol:

That he is! I hope you do find motivation so that we can all see the finished result.

Re: E-Rat-Icator- Full work stoppage

aka_locojoe said:
There are bikeless kids in Africa that would finish that bike.

I like what you've done so far but I can relate.
:lol: :lol: :lol: x2

If you've got the persistance & patience to get that skiptooth crank assy you got from me apart. this should be easy compared to that. Switch bikes if you want, but NEVER give up! Go for it bro! 8)

udallcustombikes said:
I seem to have lost all motivation on this build. ....

You know, if you're not feelin' it, if it's not working for you, then maybe a start-over will be a healthy thing. You have plenty of time. It's like writers block, or akin to a band member who moves away from where his original band is going, to work on a side project.

The RRBBO is supposed to be fun above all. It's great fun going through everyone's challenges and innovations. It's amazing watching castoff bikes turned into works of art.

If another bike is catching your eye and ideas are swirling around about what you could do to this one... or that one... but not the one you started with, then hey, it lost its appeal, and no one is going to worry if you just move on. We'll follow that build start to finish just like this one.

Do what MOVES you. Best of luck my friend. And congrats on your wife getting the job, that it really worth celebrating.

--Rob

An influx of cash for parts might be just what I needed. Guess we will see when the check for "The Flatliner" arrives. Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm not closing the book on this one yet.

udallcustombikes said:
...I'm not closing the book on this one yet.

You better not!
Otherwise you'll make us think you've picked the wrong hobby... It still is a VERY nice frame and you have already finished some cool parts. You can always take a break by the way... We still have 2 months to go...
Good luck.

udallcustombikes said:
The correct answer is 1 1/4# of overspray from 3 cans of primer, 5 cans of black lacquer and one can of day-glo green. I went down to the cellar to prime my fenders and noticed a green tint to everything. That prompted me to bring my empty shop vac down and clean up all the overspray.
haha. i decided to paint a model car in our basement once and half the shop area was evenly dusted in a bright yellow :lol:

I picked up my decals today. I will share some pics when I get home.

I have found my motivation. But it is going top secret until I see if it will work out. After my decal pics this thread will be going dark for a while. When the time is right I will light it up again.

The competition is unbelievable this year. I am in complete awe with so many of these builds.

Double Nickle- you have come a long way since our last battle. This one is going to take some major doing to best you again. I gotta get my iron in the fire.

My dad didn't raise a quitter!

I spent most of the last two and a half months very discouraged by the way this build was going. I lost my motivation and the bike has been hanging in the back of the garage, mocking me as I worked on other bikes. I made up my mind tonight that I would have a rider by the deadline, even though it will not be the bike from my vision.

I pulled the bike down tonight and started back up again. I mounted the crank, scrounged up some wheels and tires, and pieced together a chain. I went to mount a seat post only to find I didn't have one the right size. Luckily I remembered a seat post shim I had salvaged from a bike a while back. It was twisted and tweeked but I managed to straighten it out. Seat post solved I moved on to finding a seat. I had nothing at all that fit the look so I settled on a black vinyl road bike seat for now.

The wheels don't match and the Bendix red band needs a rebuild, so that will need to be taken care of in the next few weeks.

Here is where it sits as I closed the garage down tonight.

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

Looks like all that mocking from the back has worked :!:
It's amazing what can be acheived in a couple of hours well done !!

Latest posts

Back