I dunno, she just flipped out! Fork? Yup!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to call this bike publicly. I suppose I will come up with something. My name for it is dumb, grim, goth and kinda pat. :roll:

Here are links to a couple bikes built this way, I have seen others that I can't find now. This is FatBoy's JC Higgins, viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44358&st=0&sk=t&sd=a, and deven_science's Flipped bike, viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55726&hilit=deven+science. I also just found the Twisted Sister bikes by PeterBuilt
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=43178 and Number 2 viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43344&hilit=twisted+sister. And then there are the two in the Build-Off, Deviant, http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=61058 and Upside Down Xcess, http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=60973.

On the shoulders of giants. (is that a little thick?)

I am going to build a springer fork of some kind, it may be faux. I found a terrific color of paint called Night Red by Montana Cans http://www.montana-cans.com/ They have lots of colors. Lots. I've got bunches of ideas for details, I was up half the night with the notebook.

This is the frame I got

Shejustflippedout.jpg

This is my sketch, mostly the stance and the feel

Sheflippedoutsketch.jpg

and here is a baby ziptie mock-up

MurderBikemockup.jpg

Here I go. There will be plenty to keep me busy 'til my welder arrives and plenty to buy too :roll:

Re: I dunno, she just flipped out!

Very cool idea. Going to follow this.
Sorcerer

like the look of where this is going..
need any Donor frames?
i just got abunch :lol:

iven said:
need any Donor frames?

Thanks man, I got too many, that or I need to put them in back of the house :lol:

jackdaw said:
iven said:
need any Donor frames?

Thanks man, I got too many, that or I need to put them in back of the house :lol:
well alright, but ima be watching this one

I decided I will call this bike Night Red after the color of paint, it's a matte brownish red that's almost black. Very cool, it may be too subtle, I'll have to see.

Kinda pickin' away at it, bought some stuff today, finally have a good idea how the springer is going to be built. I hope it works, I've never seen one exactly like it though I'm sure there must be. Har Har, like 20 minutes later I saw a very similar one!!

MDRbkeforkstuff.jpg

Straightened out the fork a bit.

Murderbikeforkstraightening.jpg

This is an old Troxel seat, I'm going to put a little padding on it and a little leather, but the steel will still show.

murderbikeseat1.jpg

I'm actually going to build a forge to make the crown for the springer rods. Or I might find a big press and use that. I wonder if my cousin has one?

Re: I dunno, she just flipped out! Night Red

Looks cool, I'm curious about the springer. I'll be watching 8)

mmcdaniel69 said:
Looks cool, I'm curious about the springer. I'll be watching 8)
same here.. im trying to develop a no weld oldschool 70s style springer :p

I don't even know if it'll work!!! :lol: It's not going to be like "fully radical" or anything.

Thanks for looking and commenting guys, it keeps me into it.

jackdaw said:
I don't even know if it'll work!!! :lol: It's not going to be like "fully radical" or anything.

Thanks for looking and commenting guys, it keeps me into it.

anything ya never seen before that functions is always radical :wink:

So I just got my welder yesterday, had a little practice. It's been twenty years. I guess I've got some practice before I start welding on my bike :lol:

weldingpractice1.jpg
weldingpactice2.jpg

weldingpractice3.jpg

I also textured the leather for the seat, a hammer and a chunk of granite works pretty good.

Murderbikeleatherprep.jpg
murderleather2.jpg

So I'm having a lot of fun, there's still plenty to keep me busy while I brush up on my welding. Next I'm going to work on the rockers for the springer and the rods. Still hoping my friend comes through with a hydraulic press to make the pieces for the crown. Also the dropouts, and some other stuff :lol: :lol:

Thanks for looking.

jackdaw said:
So I just got my welder yesterday, had a little practice. It's been twenty years. I guess I've got some practice before I start welding on my bike :lol:

weldingpractice3.jpg

I see we're in the same situation :) My welds are looking about the same. Except you are doing it on a practice bike and I've rushed onto the real thing... and learning the hard way and paying for it dearly. I'm just hoping mine will stay together long enough for a photo! We'll have to compare our final products, if I ever get there!

Jawon said:
jackdaw said:

weldingpractice3.jpg

I see we're in the same situation :) My welds are looking about the same. Except you are doing it on a practice bike and I've rushed onto the real thing... and learning the hard way and paying for it dearly. I'm just hoping mine will stay together long enough for a photo! We'll have to compare our final products, if I ever get there!

im looking into getting a welder cause cant build much without one.. + i have a broken frame 'someone cut through it <-_->

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60447

Re: I dunno, she just flipped out! Giving props and "welding"

I'm a post-a-holic. Too bad :lol: . Anyway, more welding practice, feeling good about that. If I can get my tube welds to look like the weld in the left hand picture I'll be doing good. As it is, it's all stuck together. I wouldn't ride those welds. I have to find more flat stuff to weld, to the dump with me. And more rod, holy cow, it goes quicker than I thought.

weldingpractice6.jpg
weldingpractice5.jpg
weldingpractice4.jpg
weldingpractice7.jpg

So I turned down the heat when I was welding the tube 'cause I blew through a couple times. I think I need it back up and just be more careful on grinding the joint and not trying to get "just a little further around". Keep pausing to reposition so I don't get fetched up at an awkward angle. Anyway, so very interesting I am sure :lol:

Also, bars. Cut down beach bars.

murderbikebars.jpg

I think I'm going to work on the seat today. The springer is really on hold until the welding is up to snuff, though I can cut some stuff out.

Thanks for looking.

Re: I dunno, she just flipped out! Giving props and "welding"

A little progress, I got the padding put on the seat and I got the leather molded to the seat, waiting for it to dry. I hope I'll be able to smooth down the edge of the padding by tightening the leather, though I suppose I should just grind it down a little. I imagine it'll feather out OK with an angle grinder. I meant to paint the seat before I molded on the leather, to protect it from the wet but soaked the leather too soon. So plastic wrap.

MBseatplasticwrap.jpg
MBseatdrying.jpg

I found freeze plugs to cap the springs for the fork. I still have doubts about the fork. I shall bull ahead slowly.

MBspringcap.jpg

My welding is getting better, I've practiced corners and started to get them down pretty well. Then I went back to try some tubing and it was way worse than before :x . I dunno, I suppose I'll get the hang of it. Large parts of this build are dependent on welding and I want to feel safe riding it so...

Thanks for looking.

Re: I dunno, she just flipped out! More props.

Oh yeah, I just remembered, I've been welding for all of THREE DAYS. I guess I can cut myself some slack.

Back