Just an opinion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncle Stretch said:
I see everybody collecting 20'' bikes . I know that there are collectors in all fields of anything. I cant for the life of me see it. If I was going to collect anything ...it would be a bike that I could at least ride. These Stingrays and the such are restored buying really expensive parts and put back like new...kept for a while and then traded off or sold because there isnt much you can do with them. I equate them to a butterfly collection....Real pretty to look at ,.....and now what. Hec I dont like regular sized frames because they are small. In the real world everyone wants something long and spacious. I would think the money invested in restoring them could be put to better use on something for adults.....Ok this is just my opinion. :shock:

I think one of the things that keeps the Ray thing going is name recognition. Everybody knows what a Schwinn is, but Phantom and Typhoon just don't have the zing of Sting-Ray or Krate with all those goofy nick-names they came up for them. They were theme bikes, meant to resemble the dragsters of the day. That sticks heavily with me. I don't have a lot of interest in full resto's or all original Ray's.
They're too much money and I have to be able to ride it. The Wally krates work for me, I don't have to sweat trashing 'em. They make fun neighborhood bikes and they easily swerve out of the way of the kids on their bikes. And yes, I look less ridiculous in a group, but that just gives me more motivation to get thinner. I'm already shrinking vertically! :D

im 6'2", 215lbs and i can't ride those 20" bikes either and don't really get it myself, but thats what makes it cool. what these little bikes bring us back to the "hot rod" and muscle bikes era. hey, at least it makes alot more sense than those tiny little "pocket bikes" mini ninjas i see. a friend of mine got his impounded for no license and the police actually strapped it to the full size bed of a wrecker. it looked like one of those little mini backpacks that the tweens would wear when they were in fashion.

trainwreck011.jpg

:mrgreen:

Time to add my two cents!! :lol: As a kid, growing up in the 80s, I was limited as to what was available. I did buy my '56 Corvette aka Old Faithful, at a garage sale in 1980 for $2.50. But cruisers were all but unknown at that time! I was teased mercilessly for my old bike. My parents bought me a new Murray monteray a year or two later, but it was the same thing. Ten speeds were the bike to have, banana seat bikes were already passe. Later came BMX, and I got a Schwinn Predator. Also had an orange 5 speed fastback, though i was already too big for it! These days, I can look at Sting rays and bmx's with a bit of nostalgia, but really I have no interest in collecting them. What I really dreamed of in the early days were the tank bikes of days gone by. But there weren't any around in my area (northern NJ) in the 80s! This digital age of ebay and CL is a different world. So, I guess I'm kinda living my childhood dream of having actual vintage cruisers. At least I can ride 'em! Still going to turn that collegiate 5 into a 26" Mega-Ray, just cause I can! :mrgreen: ~Adam

Don't ride 20 inch bikes. I did see "Danimal" ride his, with a big smile on his face. He looked like a 12 yr old GIANT, and he DID look very cool riding.......Don't ride Boardtracker type bikes, but Ive seen "ifitsfreeitsme", Ian, riding one, also with a big smile and looking cool. Don't ride vintage pre war bikes like "yeshoney", Joe, smiling like a kid delivering news papers in the fifties.........I DO ride 60's middle weight cruisers, with banana seats and big apes, and yes with a "smile". That's what I rode when "I" was 12.......And I DO look like a Circus Bear on a bike, SO WHAT!.......Ride the bike that makes ya SMILE, life is to short.

That did sound good hummm a hot glazed. It really sucked when I retired ...I never knew that they cost money... I always thought they just gave them away.

KOTA said:
Don't ride 20 inch bikes. I did see "Danimal" ride his, with a big smile on his face. He looked like a 12 yr old GIANT, and he DID look very cool riding.......Don't ride Boardtracker type bikes, but Ive seen "ifitsfreeitsme", Ian, riding one, also with a big smile and looking cool. Don't ride vintage pre war bikes like "yeshoney", Joe, smiling like a kid delivering news papers in the fifties.........I DO ride 60's middle weight cruisers, with banana seats and big apes, and yes with a "smile". That's what I rode when "I" was 12.......And I DO look like a Circus Bear on a bike, SO WHAT!.......Ride the bike that makes ya SMILE, life is to short.

I too have seen these things and they all made me smile. (And wonder how in the heck a 6'8" guy fits on a Sting Ray :shock: )

Here's a photo I took at the Monson swap meet that still makes me smile.
958835_caae_625x1000.jpg

So skip what your saying is anything is possible....or if your too big to ride something you might look funny on it? :roll: :shock:

Anything possible. I love seeing Danimal ride his sting ray. Huge smile. I've seen it and still can't figure out how he does it. I'm 6'5" and am uncomfortable on them. The photo is just a funny side note since KOTA said he looked like a bear riding a bike.

Only I look better in a bathing suit...or maybe not. :lol:

Gotta ride the Stingray once in a while. Btw, in Northampton I had several people stop me and tell me how much they liked my bike. One guy asked me how he could get one for himself! People just recognize the iconic Schwinn Stingray. But as Larry said, just have fun. I know I do!

Dan

Back