Just an opinion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I look fine on my Stingray!

Dork.jpg

I just seen this thread for the first time, so here it goes I haven't actually restored a bike, I have cleaned them up, I have customized, but as far as 26 inch tank bikes go....I just can't find them....that I can afford, sure it would be fun to restore one, but raising a family and trying to get all the right parts and decals excetera is just money thats not there. But I am trying to restore a 65 Columbia Playbike, why , because I never seen an early one restored and the solo polo seat is actually very comfortable so ridable it is, sure I probably look silly ,just like my 72 Monte Carlo looks silly to a guy driving his Prius watching how much gas mileage he's getting while driving down the road. But I just do what makes me happy. So with that said here's my I dont know what the heck it is, but it has a tank and no it wont be restored :lol: [img]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/holyrollin72/dalatest016.jpg[/img]

thatismytruck said:
Anything possible. I love seeing Danimal ride his sting ray. Huge smile. I've seen it and still can't figure out how he does it. I'm 6'5" and am uncomfortable on them. The photo is just a funny side note since KOTA said he looked like a bear riding a bike.

Hey that's a "Lady" bear riding a "Lady Bear Lady Bike".........Wassup with that?.You sayin I look like a Lady Bear?. That Lady Bear has a Lady Bear Bikini on...I DON"'T wear Lady Bear Bikini's.........I can see the resemblance in the "face", but it ends there.............I ain't no Bike ridin, Bikini wearin, Lady Bear!.............Phew, I'm glad I got that off my FUR!

Best pic I could find, bud. :D This was after a few beers, if you recall correctly. or not. :lol:

I wish we could have found an open packy or bar that day. Monson was shut down tight. :|

Well, I would have been all over this thread in defense of the 20" bikes, had I not been without internet service for 3 days here. Thanks, AT&T for finally hooking me back up (though it was YOUR modem...)

Anyway, I have bikes of all different sizes, stock, rats, a Phantom, lightweights, and a bunch of Stingrays. None of them elicit the responses I get to the Stingrays.

Our club ran a "Twenty Inch Ride" last year and had a great turnout and a lot of fun.

twenty0801fort.jpg

We're doing it again next year. I'll keep riding them as long as I'm able. And I'm not a small guy. You just crank the seats up until you're comfortable and go ride and have fun.

twenty0805robfort.jpg

If you aren't having fun with this hobby, you're doing it wrong. :)

bikeride0731.jpg

And 20-inchers can make cool rats too...

redrossdowntown127.jpg

--Rob

I think the basic point U.S. was trying to make was that people are throwing time and money into making factory replicas of spyders, while simultaneously slicing and dicing typhoons and 5-stars that were in pretty good shape, and he just wants more of the big bikes to survive.

I had a 20" bike in "63, but was completely unaware of the Stingray's existance for a few more years. Mine had painted wheels and a spring seat (just like uncle huck's motorcycle! :D ), and I think my dad got it for $5.oo at a lawn mower repair shop. I do have 1 rear Fastback wheel and most of a rusty 5-speed shifter left over from fixing O.P.'s back in the 70's or early 80's. Don't know why. :? Don't want it, don't need it, can't use it, but I just don't throw away working Schwinn parts. Doesn't matter what size. :wink:

o.k. you guys win. 20" bikes suck. i'm gonna sell mine and collect something useful like telephone pole insulators. :roll:

i can't believe the most active thread this week is bash the 20" riders. don't ya have something better to do with your time?
perhaps dusting useless nic nac's in the china cabinet?

icyuod2 said:
o.k. you guys win. 20" bikes suck. i'm gonna sell mine and collect something useful like telephone pole insulators. :roll:

i can't believe the most active thread this week is bash the 20" riders. don't ya have something better to do with your time?
Can't wait til next week!......Rumor has it, we're gonna be bashing "Burritos".

Let me see where did I put nic nac polisher. Oh its over there by my paddy wack . It was really not against 20'' bikes ...either you hate them or you love them.......Put me kinda in the middle. They just arnt everything and seem to be poping up alot lately by the strangest people. Its like hey I have stingrays too .Just all of us are not that impressed. I'm like take that time and restore a big bike. But thats me and this is each his own. Older people like old tank bikes younger people like stingrays and bmx bikes. Its when older people like bmx and stingrays it makes me wonder. I wouldnt have a skateboard ...but I might hang a surfboard on the wall...real long one.Its differant strokes for differant folks...kinda corney but true. :wink: I vagely remember when they came out ,but my biggest worry then was to be able to shoot a peace sign and look really cool doing it and should I take a chance and drive all the way across the country and go to Woodstock..A decision I have regretted all my life. So we are all the same just a little differant.

KOTA said:
icyuod2 said:

Can't wait til next week!......Rumor has it, we're gonna be bashing "Burritos".

don't trust anyone who rides a burrito! they're dicey.

icyuod2 said:
Seeing the number of pro-20" postings, there's big money in that. :wink: Besides, the real problem is those fixed gear tandem road trikes!

i sold all my bikes so i could start collecting pantaloons and faberge eggs........

(really...........i grew up with bmx bikes and my first bike was a stingray jr. but would i buy one or more for me? nope.
as for restorations.........personally im not a fan of them...i like period correct and unless it needs repaired it wont get repainted.......as for spending 5 years searching for the factory correct bolt for a brake arm.......thats not gonna happen....i like riding my bikes not spending forever looking for certain parts.
as stated before......whatever makes you happy is the way to go :wink: )

Back