Looking forward to RRBBO#8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Renaissance Man said:
yoothgeye said:
Rockit said it... kind of. :lol:

It means that in the end you will submit a finished bike that you started as a project no earlier than the start date of the build off.

You can start with a complete bike on day 1 and go from there, but you cannot start your project BEFORE the start of the build off.

So this is not a build off to finish a bike you started a while back or just to enter something you built a few weeks ago or a few years ago.

I've been "building" mine in my head and with drawings ahead of time, plus gathering parts. I hope that's not considered starting before I'm supposed to! :!: :?: :!:

If it is, then most of us were DQed in August 2012.

kingfish254 said:
The Renaissance Man said:
yoothgeye said:
Rockit said it... kind of. :lol:

It means that in the end you will submit a finished bike that you started as a project no earlier than the start date of the build off.

You can start with a complete bike on day 1 and go from there, but you cannot start your project BEFORE the start of the build off.

So this is not a build off to finish a bike you started a while back or just to enter something you built a few weeks ago or a few years ago.

I've been "building" mine in my head and with drawings ahead of time, plus gathering parts. I hope that's not considered starting before I'm supposed to! :!: :?: :!:

X2 I been building mine in my head and on the computer and coming up with designs since before the last build off was done. I just recently got the frame though... :lol: I knew I wanted to build something in the muscle bike category just didn't know which one. Now that I got it I can't wait to get started. I keep looking at it sitting in the corner of my room and It's hard not to just start putting it together and mocking it up. Now with the addition of the "anything goes" category I am even more excited to see what everybody else comes up with. It is shaping up to be EPIC!

I have a question. What if you have a frame that was started a while back but was stalled? I stipped paint off of my 39 Colson a while back. Even started a build thread on it. Got side tracked & never continued with the build. Is it legal to use that frame since technically it has already been started? If so, not a big deal as I have two other frames I can use if needed. This was not a complete bike, just a frame that was painted when I got it. I'm just trying to plan my build (in my head) & didn't want to do anything that is against the rules. If this is not acceptable, I have a plan B & C. My gut feeling is that is will not be acceptable, just wanted some input from you guys.

Here is how I got it:

39colson.jpg

Here is the frame as it is now:

PA310445.jpg

A stripped down bare frame is about as basic as you can get. I don't think anyone would consider that to be a head start. You'll have more work to do since you will need to paint it as well.

I can't imagine anyone would have an issue with your starting point Pick. Go for it.

I wouldn't even be upset as a participant if someone took apart and stripped the paint off of their bike before the start date so that they could have a fresh frame to start with. That's more like prep work than build work.

kingfish254 said:
X2 I been building mine in my head and on the computer and coming up with designs since before the last build off was done. I just recently got the frame though... :lol: I knew I wanted to build something in the muscle bike category just didn't know which one. Now that I got it I can't wait to get started. I keep looking at it sitting in the corner of my room and It's hard not to just start putting it together and mocking it up. Now with the addition of the "anything goes" category I am even more excited to see what everybody else comes up with. It is shaping up to be EPIC!

I guess that puts me waaay behind considering that I have only been planning the Moto-Bike for a little over a week now! :shock:

I think you're fine, as long as you don't start mock up, paint, or assembly you are okay. Tear down is not building.

outskirtscustoms said:
I think you're fine, as long as you don't start mock up, paint, or assembly you are okay. Tear down is not building.

I haven't touched it in 6 months so another month won't be a problem. Just didn't want to get clear up to the start date not knowing which bike I was planning on building. Most likely I will be using parts I already have that could be used on either of the 3 frames.

Sounds fair to me. It actually gives you a better idea if tout build.isneven readable in case paint is hiding some flaw in the frame that would otherwise derail your build

kim_dude said:
Sounds fair to me. It actually gives you a better idea if tout build.isneven readable in case paint is hiding some flaw in the frame that would otherwise derail your build

This is true, but don't forget you have 1 (one) frame swap during the build off if you need it. So if a fatal flaw is found, you can swap your frame, or for any other reason. Don't like the vibe, running out of time, whatever. Last year my plan was too big for the amount of time I could dedicate to it, so I used my frame change to start another bike right in the middle, that is within the rules.

yoothgeye said:
kim_dude said:

This is true, but don't forget you have 1 (one) frame swap during the build off if you need it. So if a fatal flaw is found, you can swap your frame, or for any other reason. Don't like the vibe, running out of time, whatever. Last year my plan was too big for the amount of time I could dedicate to it, so I used my frame change to start another bike right in the middle, that is within the rules.
That's cool if you've got Frame B to work with.

This one is for Rat Rod:
Can I use a frame I started but never finished if I take the amount of time away that spent building what is done? It's only the front triangle, and it's not even fully welded. Heck, I'll even subtract an extra week from my time to keep it fair. I like deadlines and unless $ is involved I tend not to finish my own stuff.

I'm totally serious. I know I do alot of goof posting about the build off, but this one is real.

kim_dude said:
Sounds fair to me. It actually gives you a better idea if your build is even readable in case paint is hiding some flaw in the frame that would otherwise derail your build

That's one reason I went ahead and broke my bike down to bare frame before the build off so I am sure everything will come apart. A stuck seat post or other stuck part can set you back a few hours or even a few days waiting for WD-40 to loosen things up. Also having to get a replacement part you didn't foresee can really throw a wrench in the plans. By doing my tear down beforehand I didn't have to fight the seat post and waste valuable build time.....I still had to fight it but I won that war before the build off so no time wasted.

I also had to cut the crank to get it out. I have a spare but it's always good to know EXACTLY what you're working with and what the game plan is before you even start so there are no surprises come build time. I have my parts laid out right down to the bearings so I am sure I have the right sizes, everything will fit together, and most importantly I know where everything is so it will all be tight and right when I am done and I can focus all the build time to building the best bike I can. More time to focus on a flawless paint job, a wicked stance, and finishing on time.

This is the 5-P rule:
"Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance"

Wow, I can tell I've been away for a while. Got a new winter hobby, so I missed out on rule change. Looks like it's the Elgin this year, anything goes!

JoKeR63 said:
Wow, I can tell I've been away for a while. Got a new winter hobby, so I missed out on rule change. Looks like it's the Elgin this year, anything goes!

Anything goes Elgin? You have my attention.

Back