(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the font style! Will it be painted in army green or desert camo? And, yes, it would be a fine tribute. Perhaps you will allow me to download a "final pic" and mount it inside the BACK40.....;)
Sounds like a plan! I had been tossing around "Beast Mode" as a possible name, but I think I prefer "Back40".

Had not thought much on paint yet, but Desert Tan does sound good... :thumbsup:

Will fit perfect with the over-built, almost mil-spec aspect of the build, 14mm axled BMX sealed hubs front and rear, 48 spoke 26" double walled and eyeletted tandem rims, 203mm brake discs front and rear, hollow tube Cro-Mo BMX 3 piece crank set, modified Cro-Mo Shogun frame, (double top tube, adjustable sliding drop outs on the rear, wider stays to clear the tires) 30x14 single speed BMX Tuffneck drivetrain, Trail bike bars, 26x2.5" Kenda Nevegal tires, custom built oversized forks... Blah, blah, blah...

:showingbiceps:

I should be able to get a photo at a full 20 MP (5184x3888 pixels) for you if you want to download it for a poster or something, that will do anything up to 20" x 30" or even a bit more.

Luke.

Sounds like a plan! I had been tossing around "Beast Mode" as a possible name, but I think I prefer "Back40".

Will fit perfect with the over-built, almost mil-spec aspect of the build, 14mm axled BMX sealed hubs front and rear, 48 spoke 26" double walled and eyeletted tandem rims, 203mm brake discs front and rear, hollow tube Cro-Mo BMX 3 piece crank set, modified Cro-Mo Shogun frame, (double top tube, adjustable sliding drop outs on the rear, wider stays to clear the tires) 30x14 single speed BMX Tuffneck drivetrain, Trail bike bars, 26x2.5" Kenda Nevegal tires, custom built oversized forks... Blah, blah, blah...

I should be able to get a photo at a full 20 MP (5184x3888 pixels) for you if you want to download it for a poster or something, that will do anything up to 20" x 30" or even a bit more.

Luke.
Luke, I'm sure glad you have not put much thought into this build. Hahahaha!:21: By "tandem rims" do you mean used on a tandem bicycle, or two rims laced together, like the early fat bike predecessors? And I assume you mean a vintage motocross bar like I used on Desert Sky when you say "trail bike bars". Everything else I completely understand. Which scares me a little....:43::13:

Luke.
...and the photo will be a great addition to my gallery! Thanks!

Luke, I'm sure glad you have not put much thought into this build. Hahahaha!:21: By "tandem rims" do you mean used on a tandem bicycle, or two rims laced together, like the early fat bike predecessors? And I assume you mean a vintage motocross bar like I used on Desert Sky when you say "trail bike bars". Everything else I completely understand. Which scares me a little....:43::13:
Tandem rims, as in heavy duty spec for touring tandems, hence the 48 spoke arrangement, eyelets and double wall, they are rated for ridiculous loads...

22378438338_cce0b3fa66_z.jpg

Trailbike bars as in motocross style bars yes, they are actually BMX bars but they are the style of the early Klunker motocross versions.

21983547374_c68a1acd18.jpg

Sealed 4 bearing Odyssey Hazard hubs (Check out the size of those axles!):

22580449846_ec56ccc276_z.jpg

Kenda Nevegal 2.5":

23174739615_af3a22d9e5.jpg

Tuf-neck 30T front:

22878926130_73f3b7f8b7.jpg

Pinchbolt Cro-Mo BMX 3 piece cranks:

23174923135_514a84b72b.jpg

Waiting for most of this stuff to arrive, I expect it will probably be here Monday...

Rough idea of the frame design changes:

22547996603_5e7edce7dc_z.jpg

I may add a nylon crank bashguard too, like the old freestyle bikes, I bought a cheap Penny Skateboard a while back to build one for my Joker build but never used it, perfect for this build though!:

23149104526_d1368c0fc0.jpg

23175050955_e4c4077a37.jpg

22548160593_dc6731f404_z.jpg

23149104936_0e52963eca.jpg

Luke.

Got two packages today...

One was parts for the Klunk-off bikes: (Check out those tires @OddJob!)

23263122885_77f1d5948d_z.jpg

The other was from the USA:

22634701094_b5cc4dab48_z.jpg

I predict a big weekend... ;)

Luke.

Woohoo! I'm close to paintin' Cycledelic too...

Carl.
Been waiting to see that!

Looks like they sent me .004" micro flake instead of .015" bass boat size, I don't care at this point, it wont pop quite as much but will mean less clear coats and less sanding.
I almost changed my order to the .004 anyway...

Anyone care to guess on colour? :39:

Luke.

Oh! A bag o' flakes....
Woohoo! I'm close to paintin' Cycledelic too...

Carl.

You still doin' the dip?

Been waiting to see that!

Looks like they sent me .004" micro flake instead of .015" bass boat size, I don't care at this point, it wont pop quite as much but will mean less clear coats and less sanding.
I almost changed my order to the .004 anyway...

Anyone care to guess on colour? :39:

Luke.

Didn't you want green? I thought it was supposed to be green...:39:

Glad you got the flake...:41:

Didn't you want green? I thought it was supposed to be green...:39:

Glad you got the flake...:41:
I changed it up, the green didn't work with the seat cover, the original blue didn't work with the tail lights... So I went in a different direction...

I can tell you it is still holographic! ;)

Oh, and it should look awesome!

Luke.

What about that harlequin flip floppy deal? Color to match that seat could be anything.

Awesome looking klunker you got planned there. Look forward to seeing that. I'll be lurking durning that build off. Way too cold here.

My guess, Gold metal Flake
Winner, winner!

This update: Super flake, super flake, you're super flakey...

Video shows it the best, frame and forks done and ends with the test panel in the sun light to show the holographic colour sweep...

Luke.

I should mention some changes I made to make the flake more successful this time.

-I switched to a slower drying intercoat. (The one I should have had from the start apparently!) :headbang:

-I added a second air line after the regulator so I could spray the intercoat with one hand and then the flake with the other with less downtime switching between the two. :thumbsup:

-At this point there is 2 coats of the base black, followed by the intercoat and flake and 5 coats of high-build clear, next is wet sanding and then two more clear coats. It will end up using at least 1/2 a gallon of total paint before it is done, very close to that now! o_O

-This was a bad frame to try and learn metal-flake on, there is far too many tubes and far too many different angles, probably save doing flake to fairly basic bike frames in the future and flat panels on cars and the like. The test panel was so very easy compared the frame! :oops:

-The flake I used this time was a 1/4 of the price of the original, and to be honest I think it looks better, so lesson learned there, expense does not always mean quality! :39:

Luke.

Last edited by a moderator:
-At this point there is 2 coats of the base black, followed by the intercoat and flake and 5 coats of high-build clear, next is wet sanding and then two more clear coats. It will end up using at least 1/2 a gallon of total paint before it is done, very close to that now! o_O
Luke.
Wow That's allllot ! :13: but i am pretty sure it is worth it , Can't wait to see this !

Back