My son's first real build/restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankthetank said:
That's a rough sting ray but I'm sure he can get it done. Way cool that he's getting down at an early age.

The poor rattle can repaint it had made it look alot worse that it really was. The original paint was still pretty good under there. He's looking forward to working on this weekend but thinks he's going to be painting it. He'll figure it out that he's not soon enough..... :shock:

We were able to pick up a couple of needed parts at the HACBC show & swap; a chainguard, bunch of headbadge screws and a set of grips. Couldn't find the seat we wanted though. All we need now is a rear fender. After the show we went out to the shop and got some primering done. Since he got a 3rd place ribbon with the Fastback, he's gotten motivated on this one again.

He's changed his mind again on the colors for it. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I hope he commits to something before it gets painted.

Pick up one of those pistol grip spray can attachments. It gives you so much more control of the paint and you don't end up with painted fingertips.

kingfish254 said:
Pick up one of those pistol grip spray can attachments. It gives you so much more control of the paint and you don't end up with painted fingertips.
We've got 1 or 2 of thise things, but for whatever reason, he didn't want to use it this time.

I was tearing them apart & modifying them at that age but not restoring them. I didn't know what "restore" meant!

I know what you mean. At that age, I was "remodeling" bikes.

We had a great evening in the shop Friday night and got a lot of work done. The sanding of the frame was done and the first of the painting was done. Of course the paint colors and scheme was still an issue but I think his choices will compliment each other and will work out well. Hes chosen a pearl white and chevrolet orange for the frame and main colors. The seat and grips are the dark grey/black metallic and there will be some parts painted dark metallic grey and silver to Go with the seat & grips. He also chose True Blue as the color for pinstriping. What's surprising is theres really not going to be any chrome on his bike when it's done. I guess he's heard me use the phrase "chrome don't get'cha home" too many times! Once it is all done, I think anyone that's into hot rods will like it. I wont give away all the details, but i will say im very proud of him! Hes done a great job with his level of commitment to this project! I'll post pics of his progress tomorrow.

Here's some pics:

He started sanding down the replacement chain guard. His bike didn't have one when we got it. I'm not sure if this is the right one for his bike but he liked the shape of it.

He got tired of trying to sand it off and went for the spray stripper instead.

BASE COAT GOING ON: I forgot to get pics of him sanding the primer. They would've been good since this was the part he disliked the most! He chose a bright aluminum silver (oe Kentucky Chrome as it's known around here) to make his chosen colors really pop in the sun. I guess watching all the car shows I watch paid off....

COLOR #1 GOES ON: Thanks to fast drying paint, he was able to get the 1st color on. He chose Testors One Coat Lacquer White Lightning for one of his primary colors. It's a nice, pearlescent like white that will look awesome in the sun over the bright silver.

That's it for now. We'll be masking off the white and spraying the orange next.

Bike looks great so far! :D I think these are the correct pedals :wink:
007.jpg

004.jpg

More progress last night:

He finished the repair on the fork and primed it.

Cutting out the flame masking to fit the frame. The color break from the pearl white to the orange will be by flames. The flames will be outlined with True Blue pearl.

"Finally!" .......he says to spraying on some orange.

First good coat completed. We'll let it cure and go for round two next week.

looks great. can't wait to see the paintjob when he's done.

do me a favor? if he ever tries to sell this thing, buy it from him? he'll one day regret the sale, but he'll know who to go to for buying it back...

=rob

Bicycle808 said:
looks great. can't wait to see the paintjob when he's done.

do me a favor? if he ever tries to sell this thing, buy it from him? he'll one day regret the sale, but he'll know who to go to for buying it back...

=rob
I won't let him. If he feels the need to, I'll find a place to store it. He's learning to appreciate the fruits of labor with this build. He gets a little impatient sometimes wanting to ride it, but I'm proud of his efforts, commitment and patience.

Not to sound like a granpa, but I work in education, and this sort of activity really does build character. Beyond having a b!tchin' bike, he's going to have lifelong memories of quality time with the family, some skills directly related to mechanical work and fine motor skills, and more general strategies for problem-solving. Building a bike is easy for you, but it's a whole new world for a kid, right?

My dad never did anything even remotely mechanical, ever. His dad was an nuclear engineer and a wonderfully gifted person with anything to do with designing, fixing, building, and improving things. I fondly remember working on various mechanical projects with my grandfather, but he truly lacked the patience to let me get in there and learn a lot... I didn't start really turning wrenches until I was in my late teens. (And then, it was mostly learning thru mistakes.)

Developing patience, though, it's a big one. It'll be a good thing for your son in the long run, but i know it's killing him that he can't ride the thing yet. :lol:

-rob

Back