My son's first real build/restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bicycle808 said:
(And then, it was mostly learning thru mistakes.)-rob

Thanks Rob. Sounds like your part engineer yourself.... ;-). This was part of the reason I chose to do this with the boys.

SCHWINNRAY--thanks! It's Chevrolet engine orange.

Chips_Mahoy said:
Bicycle808 said:
(And then, it was mostly learning thru mistakes.)-rob

Thanks Rob. Sounds like your part engineer yourself.... ;-). This was part of the reason I chose to do this with the boys.

SCHWINNRAY--thanks! It's Chevrolet engine orange.

I'm trying to be an engineer.... gotta get the skills up. Is that just rattlecan chevy orange? The engine enamel you can get off the shelf at autozone? Let me know how it holds up....

-rob

Chips_Mahoy said:
It's high temp engine enamel I got at O'Reilly auto parts. The brand name slips my mind tho....

I've always wondered about engine enamel. I know it has to be toughto withstand the high temps and weird conditions, but i bet it fades in sun alot. Which doesn't bother me one bit!! Let us know if it holds up in terms of chips and bubbles... The stuff is cheeep and comes in some cool automotive colors.

-rob

Your boy is doing a great job! Agree with everybody else that it's great experience all the way around :D
The orange is rockin'!! Can't wait to see it together

Progress & FRUSTRATION!!!

We spent the weekend in KY working on my Mustang that's undergoing a restoration so when we got back he wanted to unmask his bike. It started off great...

But after it was all said & done....

VERY FRUSTRATING!! Now we've got some repair work to do.

Here's his color for outlining the flames:

The colors will look really good together once it all done. The paint coming off really sucks but it's a learning process for him!

Like you say a good learning experience, but you can still tell how cool that paint transition is going to be!!!!

I tried the green 'Frog Tape' on my daughter's build last year. It left a really clean line and that's with a glossy paint sprayed over a flat one.
DSCF3034.jpg

Good luck on the repaint, prep is everything.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks to all! What was really nice was when he saw the bad spot, he didn't get all bent out of shape. He just asked if we can fix it and then said "maybe we can do something really cool there instead!". Gotta love it!!

15 March 2012:

His tires & tubes came in. 20x1.75 front and 20x2.125 rear. I was surprised when he said he wanted whitewalls but was pleased since it'll go well with the pearl white on the frame. He also said he wanted "old looking" tread so we got the slick for the rear and classic tread design for the front.

Finally got the others to download off the phone......Darn iphone!!! :x

Started working on the wheels. He chose an extra set we had lying around. They're an aluminum rim w/ 100 chrome spokes per wheel that came off an old BMX bike. The boys decided to spray paint them orange at one time for who knows what reason.
BEFORE:

A can of paint stripper, an old toothbrush, a little elbow grease and a pressure washer did the trick. Now I will say that I wouldn't let him spray the stripper at any time. That's some nasty stuff! He's still got a little cleaning and polishing to do by hand tho.....
AFTER:

Then we tried to strip off the white paint off the frame. Come to find out it was the silver paint he used as a base that was the problem. SO.....long story short, the whole thing will have to be stripped back down and the whole process started all over. No biggie to me.....that means more time in the shop w/ him.... :wink:

None of this has discouraged him by any means. It's just a step in the process to getting the end result that he wants.

Not much to share or pics to show but the stripping of the frame back to bare metal continues. He will be using the same colors and flame design. I'm going to try & talk him into using a little putty filler this time to fill the pitting and smooth it out. I think he'll be happier with the end result if he does, but it is his project. He's a hard worker and is really getting a good understanding for the fruits of his labor theory. As soon as we get back to the shop I'll take some more pics.

Back