Next Victim Stretch (Now Rideable)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Next Victim Stretch

Should work. I read several of them and they all are about the same . I didnt know about the put them in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes to finish the temper. Maybe I can get my wife to cook something while its in there. :lol: :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Maybe I can get my wife to cook something while its in there. :lol: :lol:
Hahaha!! Can't wait to see the progress! :mrgreen:

You see these old bikes and you think...Man they look simple. It is so hard to put a bunch of curved pipe together. Swivel it just a little and its all off. I have been just playing trying to see how difficult this was going to be ... its eating my lunch. the green parts wont be there as soon as the other pipe is in and straight....maybe :shock: I stretched it a little because that is what I do . progress so far.

oldbuild001.jpg

oldbuild002.jpg

I'm copying that bike exactly. Part of what is sticking out in the back has to be turned down at a 45 degree angle ,then the part that holds the wheel is hooked to that. Had to eat a sandwich ,so its back to work. :roll:

good luck my friend, glad Im not doing it :mrgreen:

if i did it would look like half pile of molten metal :lol:

Ok a little more done ,but am running into some problems. I made the bar that holds the crank houseing too short. In the picture its below the center of the back axle. I will have to lengthening it so I cant really bend the last bar to the neck till I can fix that. I stuck a piece in just for a visual but it wont stay. I'm pooped so this will be all till tomorrow.

almost001.jpg

almost002.jpg

Hey 'Stretch! Awesome build! :mrgreen: Ahh...tech question: do you use a tube notcher?

I set one up once and the hole saw lasted one cut. I have one of those flap disks on a 4'' grinder and after I porta bandsaw the cut close to the angle ,I use the grinder to shape that notch. If you do it alot its pretty easy. They have that program that makes a template of the angle and then you tape it around the pipe and grind to that....But my printer went south and I have to borrow my wifes ...so its easier to just do it by hand. :wink: Glad you like the build. Its fun because its not the same stretch that I normally do.

Uncle Stretch said:
Glad you like the build. Its fun because its not the same stretch that I normally do.
This looks like a vintage reproduction. you should get the frame done and antique it/rust it. Then post over at the CABE for an ID. :mrgreen:

I think that might be where the picture came from. It would be fun to mess with them though. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I found alot of really cool old bike pictures on that Copake auction web site. under their 2008 auctions. If this one turns out I may try another. Most of the cool ones are 1890's Columbia's.

cman said:
Uncle Stretch said:
Glad you like the build. Its fun because its not the same stretch that I normally do.
This looks like a vintage reproduction. you should get the frame done and antique it/rust it. Then post over at the CABE for an ID. :mrgreen:
Hahahaha! Yea, give rms37 a run for his money! :mrgreen:

I wish rms37 would chime in on this one ,so I could find some other pictures. I'm guessing on the rest of the build. I stuck those Schwinn rims off of my last stretch ,and I'm thinking an old raliegh fork on it for some kind of visual . It is coming right along. Still have a bunch to do ,but I'm getting closer. Not a really good picture ,but hey :roll: :shock: You may like it and you may not ,but you will have to admit its different. :lol: :lol: :lol:

smallfork002.jpg

:shock: WOW! Major props. Man i wish i had space to do that. The wife said no way am i going to start cluttering the garage with more hobbies... I have car parts strune allover. That is looking amazing Unc.

Yeah I checked with my LBS and for some reason they didnt have one. Maybe they were just out . :lol: :lol:

Lavrente said:
:shock: WOW! Major props. Man i wish i had space to do that. The wife said no way am i going to start cluttering the garage with more hobbies... I have car parts strune allover. That is looking amazing Unc.

I guess you haven't had the discussion yet. You need to help her understand that in your world she is the owner and ruler of the whole house, all the rooms and the yard but the garage is your domain! Your domicile where you retreat and regain your creative energy. This area is off limits to her! She may pass through it only to store her car from the elements because you are a kind ruler of your land. But she must understand that without this you will become a grumpy malcontent always complaining and never satisfied. And if your smart you'll build her a bike first to appease her sensibility. Then on random nice days you both can ride around the neighborhood together, which just might improve your love life as well. Tell her its for the good of her world, or something like that!

Later Travis

Back