Next Victim Stretch (Now Rideable)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I"ve watched this build from the beginning. I'm so impressed with your talent and ability!! If I was to have someone build me a custom frame, I would definitely call on you. Great job.

Thanks critter. I'm just trying now to get my welding to where I dont have to grind so much. It just takes practice and I'm trying. All the design and putting them together is easy if you have a good audience . :wink: :wink:

I like the final product, it would be hard to make it perfect with out the the original frame for a template :D but again I think it is really cool build and I have to learn how to weld!!!

dragsterIII said:
I have to learn how to weld!!!
Like I tell everybody ,I think every high school has a continuing education program. For usually a small sum of money to cover the cost of materials , they will con some shop teacher into putting on a welding class. My dad and myself took just such a course. It was about $30 and you went 2 nights a week for 3 or 4 hours and they taught you basic welding. It really helps in life ,that anything you need built ,YOU can build. Mig welders are dirt cheap and you can find them on c/l really cheap. I use flux core wire so no need for gas. Not quiet as pretty a weld ,but dang easy to use. Then ask santa clause for a self darkening welding hood. They are about $65. worth every penny. Start cutting up old bikes and practice welding them together. Now pipe welding is hard to perfect ,but just keep plugging and with every pass you will get better. Setting the machine is 90 percent of it. If you get lots of boogers...then its set too cold. If you burn through ...its set too hot. Just keep practicing. Just remember ....clean surfaces weld the best and the better you make it fit together ...the easier it is to weld. You wont hardly ever see a good welder with a big space he is trying to fill in. Its hard to weld in mid air. :shock:

Yep . You can get cheap ..fairly good mig units for several hundred dollars. They run on 110 regular house current and will weld most anything you will run into. They are wire welders and are about the easiest to master. The little more expensive ones have more heat settings. Mine has 4 heat and a vairable wire speed. I bought a miller 20 years ago and have built several street rods and a zillion projects and its never missed a beat. If it falls apart tomorrow I'll be right back to miller to get another. The only thing that is stopping everybody from welding is that they think its really hard to do. It took me about 30 minutes to teach my wife how to make a pretty good weld. If I want something I build it. Its that simple. :lol: :lol: :lol: Design your own and build your own. Oh and for $3 you can get the entire Uncle Stretch motivational speech "Anybody can Weld". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to the generosity of Cman ,the build is a little closer to being finished. The seat Clancy donated arrived today and I got it together and added to the build. It really makes that old timey look to this copy. The only thing that is left ,is to hook up the flap part that rubs on the front tire. I got it made ....but the wife went to the store and bought a new load of Twinkies and got me side tracked. The western channel was going wide open...The Duke was at his best.

closer001-1.jpg

closer002.jpg

closer003.jpg

That thing is just plain cool.

Would be fun to ride that around the bike swap meet up here and watch everyone scratch their heads.

Yeah that and a couple 28'' wheels with white tires. Oh well Ya cant have everything. I may can make a light but I'm pretty sure the tires and rims I cant :shock:

Uncle Stretch said:
Yeah that and a couple 28'' wheels with white tires. Oh well Ya cant have everything. I may can make a light but I'm pretty sure the tires and rims I cant :shock:

I guess I shouldnt' show you the light that I have. More likely a rail light but would be fancy for this bike.

I have one of those small boy scout lights I got off of ebay once. A couple tuna cans welded to it will make that light. :wink:

Nice! Like Rat Rod said...I'd like to see the expressions of people at bike events!! :lol: Great job U.S.!

Back