Pack Rats--Quick update 27 Nov

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Going to start a build thread on these two folding pikes I picked up recently.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68625

I did a little more tinkering with the Porta Bike today to see if a slick would fit. It does....barely. I removed the front fender and repositioned the light to where the light generator was. It's not a lot of work but it helps with the visual part of it.

Wiped down and now with a 2.125 Goodyear slick and 1.75 front tire.
55382144015548-vi.jpg

Tight clearances for the back tire.
57382144017671-vi.jpg

Headlight in a different spot.
00382144020151-vi.jpg

The silver bike has already had a Jr Stingray rear tire checked for fit. It'll get a set put on it.
IMG_20130208_174342_9721-vi.jpg

I may try to go pick up another one tomorrow so both of the boys & I will have one each to take with us!

Re: Pack Rats

The Renaissance Man said:
Peter Pack Rat picked a pike of Porta Pedalers
A pike of Porta Pedalers Peter Pack Rat picked
If Peter Pack Rat picked a pike of Porta Pedalers,
Where's the pike of Porta Pedalers Peter Pack Rat picked?

:shock: :shock: That hurt reading it!

Cool name for these.
I like the way both are turning out.

Got some mock-up work done on the silver bike today. I added a banana seat, a springer front and a matched set of wheels/tires. I'm still working on how to add a set of apes to it that fold or collapse. I'd also like to be able to fit a 20" rear wheel on it somehow. I think I'll look like a clown on this thing more so than I normally would with these small tires :shock: . So the question I was aking myself of "How can I Rat a folder?" has been somewhat answered.... :D

32382482392575-vi.jpg

34382482394376-vi.jpg

I picked up a donor bike at Goodwill for its wheels to go on the Porta-Bike so that's been taken care of. I'll be getting/ordering the tires this weekend and will begin breaking it down to strip all the paint off it for powder coating.

Okay........I've been looking at the silver one for two days now and I dont like it. It just doesn't have that look I'm trying to get with that frame and handlebars. I'll be putting this one back to stock, keep it as an extra and will be looking for another one like the Porta-Bike. I've got some ideas for one and the ability of that style of folder will make it easier to achieve the look I want.

Stripped the red one last night. It goes to the powder coater this evening:

00382977720142-vi.jpg

The rear tire came in the mail and I've ordered the grips & taillight. I'm using the headlight off the green bike on this one since the taillight is round. I'll be cleaning the wheels today and start mounting tires. And the more look at the green one, the more I'm glad I made the trip to get it. The way this frame is put together could not be more perfect for what I want to do to it!

14382787175120-vi.jpg

What I plan to do with it will be a first (I hope).....

Front tire came in the mail today. I cleaned the wheels and then mounted both tires. I really like the whitewalls on the black rims, silver nipples and black spokes.... 8)

18382992978807-vi.jpg

The frame and parts won't be going to the powder coater tonight after all. I've got to figure out how I'm going to add rear brakes since it was originally a coaster bake and the new rear wheel is a free wheeler... :shock:

Did a little mock up up on what used to be the red bike. I really like the big-n-little white walls on the black wheels. I cant wait to get some color on it!

25383093845893-vi.jpg

The I broke down the green one to get it ready for blasting, mods and welding.

20383102780213-vi.jpg

The crank arms were a bit of a pain and so were these pins/pegs. What are these called so I can get some new ones?

22383102782003-vi.jpg

Did a little work on the green one today.

I split the rear end to prepare for the widening. I bought some aluminum square tube to use as the new upper supports. They will be screwed or rivited in place. I still need to make a new braket for the rear light/reflector.

53383264633107-vi.jpg

Oh man, I love where this one is heading!!! I see another big bottom folder in the near future!

Did some mock-up on the green one today. I've got to make a store run for more cutting discs so I figured I'd post what I've got so far.

The rear was mated back with the front after spacers were made from tube steel (can't see in the pic). My oldest son helped me do that. I tried the springer front but the neck tube isnt long enough so it"ll have to be extended. Added a mock-up banana seat and wanted to see how the sissy bar would look. My goal is that when the bike is folded the way I want, the sissy bar will be a good handle to pull the bikes like a piece of luggage. This was just a test for looks though. I'm also toying with the idea of fenders but I'm not dead set on it.

00383348940532-vi.jpg

SWEET!!!
Are you gonna add teh OCC BB too? You may need to get the chainline to work.
Diggin it!!!

kingfish254 said:
SWEET!!!
Are you gonna add teh OCC BB too? You may need to get the chainline to work.
Diggin it!!!

Yes on the OCC BB. After I finish my dinner I'm going to go back out to the shop and cut the old one off.

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking good! The green one has a real nice muscle bike vibe to it!

Luke.

Thanks Luke. That's the goal but taking it a step further. Once it's ready for color then the whole "vibe" of it's looks is going to make a drastic change.

Back