Pack Rats--Quick update 27 Nov

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Pack Rats

Finally got a little time to work on these again. Nothing to show on the green one, but the red one has been primed and repainted.

43389038003567-vi.jpg

47389038007016-vi.jpg

49389038009430-vi.jpg

Reassembly will start soon.

Looking sharp.
Are you or your sons planning something for BO8?

kingfish254 said:
Looking sharp.
Are you or your sons planning something for BO8?

I am. Not sure about them yet. We're busy with my car that's being restored and getting ready to move, so it'll be a coin toss if they get involved.

Quick update on the red one:

The original brake arms disassembled, polished, new pads put on, reassembled and installed on the front fork. Original brake cable removed, cleaned and re-installed. It didn't come out bright white but I like it that way. New tire and wheel installed. I still need to get some nice screws & nuts for the fender brace and clean some rust out of the inside of the brace.

04390152224501-vi.jpg

I'm going to try to clean and refurbish the original pedals.

14390152594899-vi.jpg

A little more progress today....

Pedals disassembled, cleaned, metal painted and new stainless screws used:
45390263505549-vi.jpg

Got some more assembly done with a little mock-up:
LRRH1-vi.jpg

LRRH2-vi.jpg

I've got to get a longer brake cable. I didn't think about the difference in the height of the handlebars so the cable is too short now. I've misplaced one of the crank bearings so I'll need to get some new ones. I also found out that I can't use the original style chain guard now since I changed the style of the crank. I'm not sure what I'll do for a replacement yet.....

Sissy bar cut to right height:
17390354617209-vi.jpg

It's been sanded, primed, painted and is now drying. I've got to get a couple of the insulated clamps to connect the sissy bar too. Luckily the 'nanner seat and sissy bar wont affect it's folding up tight.

Front headlight bracket painted last night and now mated w/ the light housing for mock-up:
19390354619414-vi.jpg

The taillight was already mocked-up shown in the above pic. Both are being converted to LED.

CLEAN AND SHARP!!!!

Thanks all. Going to pick up the parts I need for it so I can finish the assembly this weekend. Then the lighting LED conversion and finishing details will take place.

Picked up a new brake cable & sleeve today. I guess I needed to have the store crimp on the metal fitting on the end...... Oops :oops:

I also got a new, heavier-duty brake lever for the red folder:

44390435704403-vi.jpg

And polished up the mirror:

45390435705989-vi.jpg

Going to go mount the seat & sissy bar in a little while. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get new bearings for the crank.

Now that ""RAD ROT"" is done, I can get back 'ta building these two folders!!! I want to go back up to ride w/ Skipton soon so it time to get busy!! Stay tuned......

Getting off work now and headed to the shop to pick up mine. LRR just needs a crankset put in and its rideable. Mine on the other hand, I've got a lot of work to do...... :(

Worked on mine last night. I'll need to shorten the steer tube? Is that right? The tube that the threaded front fork tube goes through. I have some new spacer pieces to attach to the rear section to widen it for the fat tire. I'll try to get some pics tonight.

Back