SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is such a tough update to post. Last night I finally had some time to bring SaltHammer back into the shop. I went ahead and sanded the rims and layed one coat of red on them.

20160623_204607.jpg

Feeling good, I removed the rear wheel and test fit the SRAM Automatix hub. Just as I was getting the chain back on the front sprocket, I saw this and my heart sunk.

20160623_210401.jpg

This is the downtube right above the BB. It's the same place that CeeBee had repaired when he brought this frame back to life. The original outer aluminum tube is cracking in the same place close to the BB as well as the approximate location when the tube was sliced to insert the supporting inner sleeve. It lasted for a few rides from each of the three owners (CeeBee, Jarod, and me). All of us felt the repair was sufficient, but unfortunately the fates decided otherwise. I am not knocking the repair at all. It was documented in detail and was a well thought out and executed attempt. Unfortunately for my big butt, it wasn't enough. I have options to fix it, but none of those are going to occur before the Build Off. I'll cash in my frame change voucher.

Here are better pics of the tube cracks.

20160624_183534.jpg
20160624_183754.jpg
20160624_183803.jpg
20160624_183818.jpg
20160624_183834.jpg

#!:$@&#!$;# @!#$:;&!@ $#:#!@&#

@$#;!@# :mad:@$!:&

I can't say how I feel about this.

#!:$@&#!$;# @!#$:;&!@ $#:#!@&#

@$#;!@# :mad:@$!:&

I can't say how I feel about this.

That is pretty much what I was saying all of last night, today, and into tonight

I hope your new frame works out.

Thanks man. I even played around with this mockup with some stuff I had in my office today.

20160624_091357.jpg

So much stuff you have that I want, and that's in your office.:envy::D

I have almost as much fun playing Fred Sanford and Mr Haney tracking this cool stuff down as I do playing with it.

bummer. I'd add a gusset between the down and seat tube at this point. Still some miles left in that thing!

There are some repair options. The frame construction and materials on these make everything harder to fix, but this will see the road again someday.

OMG that sux, I was loving this build, I'm sure whatever follows will be another, albeit different KF masterpiece. My heart breaks, like your frame, for you.
You'll persevere though, and go balls to the wall on the next project, good luck, gods speed and kick ... at all you do! I've been watching your builds for years and you've yet to disappoint. This is a minor setback, and an excuse to dig out all the googas you wanted to use but couldn't on the last build.

It's still a piece of art. I'd polish it and hang it in the living room. Until told to get it out of there.

Thanks but Queenfish wouldn't let that happen for more than a couple of seconds and the frame (and my head) would end up with a few more cracks.

OMG that sux, I was loving this build, I'm sure whatever follows will be another, albeit different KF masterpiece. My heart breaks, like your frame, for you.
You'll persevere though, and go balls to the wall on the next project, good luck, gods speed and kick ... at all you do! I've been watching your builds for years and you've yet to disappoint. This is a minor setback, and an excuse to dig out all the googas you wanted to use but couldn't on the last build.

Thanks for the support man. It's a heartbreaker for sure. I think I already have a Plan B

Awe bummer deal man...:eek:...hate to see that.

Love the backup plan though. Especially that rear fender..:thumbsup:

Thanks man. I actually did some mockups when I got home tonight for a different plan b than the JetFlow (but including that Yeshoney fender)

A bad turn of events anyway you look at. Not really knowing how those are put together, can you just replace the down tube?
Hope the frame change works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back