SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch! :doh::blackeye:
At least you haven't really put very much time into it at this point. And for you, pulling out another top shelf bike to build is not a problem!:thumbsup:

I may not have put as much time as I normally would have by this point, but sadly that doesn't make this any easier to swallow. I've been very excited about this build for almost a year now.

Well ain't that a bummer . I would hope a good welder could fix it and as Walker said many be a gusset with some art deco design. A few to many cheese burgers and cold beers on all the business trips . Just Kidding . Looks like a good back up bike though . You will have to dig deep to get your head back in the game .
Definitely disappointing but you can pull it off [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bad turn of events anyway you look at. Not really knowing how those are put together, can you just replace the down tube?
Hope the frame change works out for you.

It probably is going to take replacing the down tube. The inner sleeve that was added with the first repair just isn't working. They are a bit complicated in how they are connected though. There is a wedge inside the tube that flares it into the cast joints of the BB, headtube, and seattube. Getting these out is a pain in the butt, I have heard. And getting a new one installed isn't easy either.

13536029_1197405276965902_919588530_n.jpg

It probably is going to take replacing the down tube. The inner sleeve that was added with the first repair just isn't working. They are a bit complicated in how they are connected though. There is a wedge inside the tube that flares it into the cast joints of the BB, headtube, and seattube. Getting these out is a pain in the butt, I have heard. And getting a new one installed isn't easy either.

View attachment 27463
If you're not worried about it being 100% original anyway, there are epoxy adhesives available now that should be able to handle the job if you can have a machinist cut/bore the old tubing out of the lugs. Heck, plenty of '90s bikes were built in just this manner. Can you imagine a Wingbar with carbon fiber tubes?

When I got home, I didn
I was curious and went back through your earlier posts and found this one on June 4 that shows the crack forming. It's a shame that you didn't catch it earlier. :(
index.php

The was a crack there from the beginning when I bought it (and I think even when Jarod bought it). It was believed that the inner sleeve repair addition was sufficient. I don't think it really expanded and a second crack was formed until my ride with Falstaff a week or so ago. Here is the pic when I bought the bike.

14e9df5e9241a6e0ce7e084f7ef3ec3b.jpg

That is a .... shame. SaltHammer was always the build to beat, and it's still majestic. I hope you can find an old timer who is extensively versed in the ways of Duralium, but fear the downtube is now too compromised to be saved by any simple patchwork. <sniff>

wow that's not cool :eek:
but hey , bikes are ment to be ridden , don't make this a wall hanger , just bolt on a intresting down tube on there , make use of that bad luck as a asset :bigboss:
BIG-TWIN-CHOPPER-DRILLED-DOWN-TUBE.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 27463
To bad the designers didn't understand about aluminum developing fatigue issues over time. Someone mentioned epoxy and/or carbon fiber...might work since it can't be welded if heat-treated.

I feel for ya Kingfish, last build off I found rusted cancer in my chain and seat stays... Swap time. But I resurrected it this build off with a sawzall, a grinder and a whole new rear quarter. I think if you do a little research you may be able to replace that downtube with a stronger more modern alloy. Unless you're set on a restoration... Good luck brother, you can do this.

Carl.

That is a .... shame. SaltHammer was always the build to beat, and it's still majestic. I hope you can find an old timer who is extensively versed in the ways of Duralium, but fear the downtube is now too compromised to be saved by any simple patchwork. <sniff>

Thanks for the kudos.
I am no welder at all, but from some of the Silver King guys I have been speaking with, I am pretty sure the existing tube is beyond repair also. It will most likely need replacing.

I hear a few of you suggesting an out of the norm downtube replacement. There is a guy out there that replaced his with a machined titanium one

downtube.JPG

I appreciate all of the support my build brothers!!
I have to try make some lemondade out of this.

When I got home I didn't want to dwell on the crack too much. It depressing enough. So I pulled out the 1935 Monark Silver King that I picked up a month ago on a biz trip to Atlanta. I was wondering if I could stay on track with a similar build but with a regular SK frame in place of the FloCycle.

20160624_184046.jpg
20160624_184113.jpg

The first test was to see if the Gaskill tank would fit and play well with the mid tube of this frame.

20160624_184345.jpg
20160624_184354.jpg
20160624_184415.jpg
20160624_184427.jpg
20160624_184535.jpg

why not? i would just fit a bigger tube over the fittings drill and bolt it on
not much to loose at that point :wink1:

why not? i would just fit a bigger tube over the fittings drill and bolt it on
not much to loose at that point :wink1:

I won't be attempting any repair on this in time for the build off. The problems that could arise if I piece a makshift repair, it it could put more unplanned stress on the other Duralium parts on the bike. It will get repaired in some manner though in the future.

I was pleased enough to go a bit farther with the idea of a SaltHammer II with the SK. I stripped off the ratty 24" wheels, the original fender, and the guard.
In it's place I test mounted the @yeshoney Shelby triple ducktail fenders and the Mooneyes wheelset. I also mocked the seat, the guard, and the Gaskill tank. I'm gonna sleep on it before I commit, but I believe I have my path forward for Build Off 11.
What do you guys think? Is this a suitable substitute?

20160624_193349.jpg
20160624_193947.jpg
20160624_193956.jpg
20160624_194006.jpg
20160624_194036.jpg
20160624_194049.jpg
20160624_194119.jpg

Back