*Silent Assassin* - Rear Fender Added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
laidbackcool said:
sharmangasaurusrex said:
Being Canadian I'm not sure how close Memphis is to Knoxville, but you could paint it Vols Orange and White :D
:lol: ...Memphis is roughly 6 hours away from Knoxville. Although I happen to be a Vols football fan, I think even that shade of orange would be too loud or bright to put on a bike :lol: .
No build in the world could make up for a VOLS paint scheme!!!!! People would hate you just because you remind them how bad a team they are!!!! My Mom is a VOLS fan.......
Cool build, I love your work!

mikeeebikey said:
laidbackcool said:
sharmangasaurusrex said:
Being Canadian I'm not sure how close Memphis is to Knoxville, but you could paint it Vols Orange and White :D
:lol: ...Memphis is roughly 6 hours away from Knoxville. Although I happen to be a Vols football fan, I think even that shade of orange would be too loud or bright to put on a bike :lol: .
No build in the world could make up for a VOLS paint scheme!!!!! People would hate you just because you remind them how bad a team they are!!!! My Mom is a VOLS fan.......
Cool build, I love your work!
:lol: :lol: :lol: The last thing I want to do on God's green earth is remind people of how bad the Vols have been the last several years, but hopefully better days lie ahead :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your kind words are very much appreciated!

I gave myself a chance to think things over regarding the wheelset. I realized that the wheelset I'll be able to use will solely depend on the width of the fenders granted I use them for the build. I just took a measurement, which came out to approximately 2.5 inches wide meaning that the tires need to be able to roll comfortably inside the fender without rubbing on them. To be on the safe side, it looks like a strong possibility that I'll consider using a 24" wheelset instead of a 26". Maybe what I should figure out is whether or not to use the fenders at all.

I say if you want some mad props and a guaranteed vote from me break out the drill on the Jemina's and make some extra holes for 140 spokes and lace them up. Then I'd throw those bad whitewalls over those black rims staggered 2.125 front and 2.35 in the back. :wink:
26" Black 3G Jemima's

drilled for 140 black spokes

And 26" Bontrager Solanas
bontrager.com-solana260x251.jpg

laidbackcool said:
pacman270 said:
Dude put a clear on the bare metal and use this combo...
Man, you must be psychic or something. It's SOOOOO funny that you propose this combo because, before I ever asked for everyone else's input, this setup was the choice I felt most comfortable with from the get go! The initial inspiration I got for this build came from this:

488001_538168269542866_853813735_n.jpg

That truck is killer. But maybe you should save the fenders for another build.
Those are great fenders, but I dont thinks they go well with that bare bones
bad ... look your going after of that truck.

King Zebba said:
I hope it's to be! The fenders are Sweet! 8)
Machine Age Victim said:
laidbackcool said:
Speaking of fenders, here are a few photos of what the frame looks like with them mounted:

To be or not to be? That is the question!

To me the answer is in that photo, pure hotness right there!
pacman270 said:
laidbackcool said:
pacman270 said:
Man, you must be psychic or something. It's SOOOOO funny that you propose this combo because, before I ever asked for everyone else's input, this setup was the choice I felt most comfortable with from the get go! The initial inspiration I got for this build came from this:

488001_538168269542866_853813735_n.jpg

That truck is killer. But maybe you should save the fenders for another build.
Those are great fenders, but I dont thinks they go well with that bare bones
bad butt look your going after of that truck.

Not much going on with the build until I settle on a wheel & tire combo. I've given myself a couple of days to think about the direction I want to go with this build. My girlfriend initially preferred that I paint the frame matte black with the Jemimas and grey bricks, but she liked the bare metal look once I showed it to her. I've gone back and forth with wheel & tire combinations as well as whether or not to incorporate the wood fenders. Taking a much closer look at the frame itself, the lines and thick tubing call for the bike to be super bad and tough looking. As much as I love those wood fenders and appreciate the feedback I've received about them, I agree with pacman and don't think they'd be a good fit for this particular build. Another reason they're not a good fit is because they are simply not wide enough to compliment the width of the fork legs as well as the rear triangle, and the wheels and tires I can choose from become very limited with them on the frame. Unfortunately, not to be is the answer :( !

pacman270 said:

outskirtscustoms said:
I say if you want some mad props and a guaranteed vote from me break out the drill on the Jemina's and make some extra holes for 140 spokes and lace them up. Then I'd throw those bad whitewalls over those black rims staggered 2.125 front and 2.35 in the back. :wink:
26" Black 3G Jemima's

drilled for 140 black spokes

And 26" Bontrager Solanas
bontrager.com-solana260x251.jpg

Now, I will say this: the Solanas staggered 2.125 front and 2.35 rear is the setup that will give me the meanest profile with bare metal. After giving it some thought, I will go with those as my final choice!

What's caught my eye the most is drilling the Jemimas for 140 spokes, which gives me the best of both worlds - wide rims and lots of spokes. It's an incredible suggestion but a risky one. Outskirtscustoms, how do you suggest I go about doing this if I were to move forward with completing this task?

I've never done anything like this but I'd start by unlacing one of each wheels, lay masking tape over the spoke holes of the 140 and mark them out on the tape. Then remove the tape and put that same piece on the Jemima's. Then carefully mark them and drill them. Then lacing and repeat for the other wheel. You will also have to see if the 140 hubs are wide enough to clear the rim hoop of the Jemima's, if not some spacers and / or longer axle may be in order, also making sure that the existing holes of the Jemima's will line up or not interfere with the new holes. As they say measure twice cut once. I wouldn't want you to mess up a brand new pair of Jemima's but the end result would be killer and it'd be a SUPER BOLD move.

I'm sure there are some more experienced wheel builders here to weigh in on this subject. Maybe post a thread asking for help in the how to section. :idea:

Might also message the manufacture of the Jemima's and see if they would sell a pair of UN DRILLED hoops. this would eliminate the problem of spoke holes possibly being out of wack.

outskirtscustoms said:
I've never done anything like this but I'd start by unlacing one of each wheels, lay masking tape over the spoke holes of the 140 and mark them out on the tape. Then remove the tape and put that same piece on the Jemima's. Then carefully mark them and drill them. Then lacing and repeat for the other wheel. You will also have to see if the 140 hubs are wide enough to clear the rim hoop of the Jemima's, if not some spacers and / or longer axle may be in order, also making sure that the existing holes of the Jemima's will line up or not interfere with the new holes. As they say measure twice cut once. I wouldn't want you to mess up a brand new pair of Jemima's but the end result would be killer and it'd be a SUPER BOLD move.

I'm sure there are some more experienced wheel builders here to weigh in on this subject. Maybe post a thread asking for help in the how to section. :idea:

Might also message the manufacture of the Jemima's and see if they would sell a pair of UN DRILLED hoops. this would eliminate the problem of spoke holes possibly being out of wack.
justride said:
Would be so much easier with 144h hubs...
Well fellas, I think I just might have hit the jackpot! A place in California called The Cruiser Shop - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0745371.120742.498161343548882&type=1&theater - has hoops pre-drilled for 144 spokes that measure 24x3 as well as 26x3. They're open till 4 PM today on the west coast, and I'm getting ready to contact them momentarily to find out what they have available 8) ! But before I give them a call, I went ahead and took measurements of the front and rear dropout spacing.

Front dropout spacing:

Rear dropout spacing:

So based on the dropout spacing and wheel size I'm considering to use, am I okay at 26" or should I go 24"?

Man, those 144 holes in the wide butt rims look sweet!!!!! LOW FAT RIDER kinda sweet.
No need to really worry about your hb spacing front or rear, that is easily widened. What you need to be considering is how wide the fork of chain/seat stays are at the area the rims/tires would hit.

SWEET! These are gonna look sick in black with the whitewalls! I looked through their photos and found this one done in chrome, Sweet doesn't begin to describe these wheels.

58917_561189377246078_569181151_n.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Man, those 144 holes in the wide butt rims look sweet!!!!! LOW FAT RIDER kinda sweet.
No need to really worry about your hb spacing front or rear, that is easily widened. What you need to be considering is how wide the fork of chain/seat stays are at the area the rims/tires would hit.
You're absolutely right. Good call!

No problem, I just saw the two rims and said to myself why don't they have rims like that? Fat with lots of spokes. Now I am stoked to find out they do! Now they need fat mag wheels!

outskirtscustoms said:
No problem, I just saw the two rims and said to myself why don't they have rims like that? Fat with lots of spokes. Now I am stoked to find out they do! Now they need fat mag wheels!
I wouldn't be too surprised :eek: if that comes next!

Back