*Silent Assassin* - Rear Fender Added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat bits and pieces.

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking good! Love that seat mount idea!

Luke.
MazdaFlyer said:
Neat bits and pieces.
Thanks guys. I've been keeping tabs on both of your builds and look forward to seeing the end result of what I believe will be impressive rides!

Slow down. You're moving too fast and blowing my mind trying to take it all in!!!! :shock:
Seat turned out great, 144 spoke 3 speed????!!!!, wicked hoodie, crash rail (which I might steal for my nanner), love the big v bars,,,,,,,,,
Hold on for dear life, this is gonna be a fun build.

kingfish254 said:
Slow down. You're moving too fast and blowing my mind trying to take it all in!!!! :shock:
Seat turned out great, 144 spoke 3 speed????!!!!, wicked hoodie, crash rail (which I might steal for my nanner), love the big v bars,,,,,,,,,
Hold on for dear life, this is gonna be a fun build.
The light bulb has finally come on for this build and I've decided to let go of my inhibitions. Pretty much have discovered ways to utilize parts I've had laying around for quite some time. Man, I'm having such a huge blast putting this thing together!

laidbackcool said:
I never got a chance to contact The Cruiser Shop about their 26" hoops pre-drilled for 144 spokes. They open back up today at 5 PM on the west coast, and I'll shoot them an email.
Two days later and still have not heard from The Cruiser Shop yet regarding the hoops. If I don't get a reply within the next 2-3 days, I'll likely give them a call when they're open on Sunday. In the meantime, I found some old truss rods laying in the shed that I may use for the rear of the frame and possibly incorporate them with dropout extensions. It may also involve plans for a rear suspension or maybe not. It's an idea that I"ll explore in much closer detail this weekend. Stay tuned!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
laidback,
REALLY dogging those rims, hope they work out.

Maybe the upcoming Memorial Day holiday is playing into their delay.

Good luck dude.

Cheers,
Dr. T
:oops: ...can't believe I forgot about Memorial Day coming up! Very good point! I'm confident they will...just a bit excited about the gradual development of this build. I appreciate the words of encouragement!

laidbackcool said:
outskirtscustoms said:
That's what it's all about, having a blast building a cool bike. Now Get To Building!
You definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone on this project, but I'm glad you did!

I can't wait to see it come together. Should be a killer cool build.

laidbackcool said:
laidbackcool said:
I never got a chance to contact The Cruiser Shop about their 26" hoops pre-drilled for 144 spokes. They open back up today at 5 PM on the west coast, and I'll shoot them an email.
Two days later and still have not heard from The Cruiser Shop yet regarding the hoops. If I don't get a reply within the next 2-3 days, I'll likely give them a call when they're open on Sunday. In the meantime, I found some old truss rods laying in the shed that I may use for the rear of the frame and possibly incorporate them with dropout extensions. It may also involve plans for a rear suspension or maybe not. It's an idea that I"ll explore in much closer detail this weekend. Stay tuned!
After a long day at work, I decided to check my email and noticed I finally received a reply from The Cruiser Shop. The owner told me that he does not know of anyone who makes a 2.25-2.5 multipsoke wheel. All of the wheels he has available in this size range are 36 hole. Now, it's time to go back to the drawing board on the wheel & tire combo, but I'm still hopeful that I can pull of a killer cool build. I still think the black multispokes with the Solanas is the route to go. I will consider doing the 2.125 140 spoke wheel with a 2.35 tire in the front alongside a 2.3 144 spoke wheel with a 2.35 tire in the rear so long as my plan for front and rear dropout extensions work seamlessly. I'm also open to other suggestions.

Well you could always do a custom spoke pattern with the fat 32 spoke wheels to make them "pop" I've done a single twist myself but these should work too.
FF0OHJ4UR6EP27QVTC.LARGE.jpg

Here's a How to instructable
http://www.instructables.com/id/Twisted ... -flowers!/

outskirtscustoms said:
Well you could always do a custom spoke pattern with the fat 32 spoke wheels to make them "pop" I've done a single twist myself but these should work too.
FF0OHJ4UR6EP27QVTC.LARGE.jpg

Here's a How to instructable
http://www.instructables.com/id/Twisted ... -flowers!/
I love the look of the spokes, but I'm not quite sold that they would provide enough edginess to compliment the frame. However, I think the wide wheel with 144 or even 72 spokes will do that, which is why I've added front and rear dropout extensions in hopes of having the needed clearance for installing free rolling tires.

laidbackcool said:
I found some old truss rods laying in the shed that I may use for the rear of the frame and possibly incorporate them with dropout extensions. It may also involve plans for a rear suspension or maybe not. It's an idea that I"ll explore in much closer detail this weekend.
I finished mocking up some front and rear dropout extensions a couple of hours ago. It also involves truss rods at the rear of the frame. I used 3 inch long corner braces from Home Depot for the dropout extensions. Holes will not be drilled for the axles until I get wheels and tires. Here are a few photos:

The front dropout extensions, which will be adjusted accordingly for the front tire. In all likelihood, I will drill larger holes into the pre-drilled holes, which will be used for the front axle. Once the front and rear tires are mounted to the frame, my aim is to lower the front end as far down as possible.

Remember the chopped up section of the seat undercarriage?

laidbackcool said:
The chopped up section of the undercarriage that is mounted through the seatpost clamp

Well, I never threw away the pieces I cut up and found use for them to assemble this:

The rear truss rods mounted to a truss plate resting over the seatpost

The truss plate is in turn mounted to the seat undercarriage using L steel clamps to keep it from moving vertically. The bolt mounted to the undercarriage also keeps the front of the seat from moving upward.

I'm still pleased with how the build has gone so far.

Machine Age Victim said:
Nice, I like the "busyness" of the frame, gives an industrial feel.
Thanks. Rugged is exactly what I'm shooting for, but one of these days I need to learn how to weld so I can give add-ons a more natural flow when working on builds in the future.

By the way, I love what you've done with your build, especially the wood rims! Very classy ride!

Now, the time has finally come to settle in on wheels and tires. I'm revisiting the situation and must get this finalized in order to move into the next phase of the build. I found a website where I believe The Cruiser Shop has been getting it's inventory of hoops from - http://behindbarsinc.bigcartel.com/category/bicycle-parts. I'm looking at their anodized black single wall in 24x3 and 26x3 pre-drilled for 72 spokes.

26x3_72_black.JPG

They also have a double wall 144 hole in anodized silver that could be painted black.

26x3_144.JPG

The good thing is that I can place an order online and have them shipped.

Or, I can still go with these

680sw_p1.jpg

Now, I know I stated earlier in the thread that I'd go with the Bontrager Solana whitewalls, but it's hard for me to ignore the brown wall electra retrorunners when I see how good they look in these photos:

P6100245.jpg

P6100246.jpg

And if I'm really going for something different, plenty of bikes have white wall tires but very few of them have brown walls. I pretty much have narrowed it down to the options previously stated or it will be a combination of the two.

I still think the fat 144 painted black would be cool, or maybe do that black chrome spray paint on the fat 144's for a more subtle look.

Back