STAMPED METAL LICENSE PLATE QUESTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I'm trying to figure out what kind of company I would need to contact in order to have some mini metal license plates made up.

I don't know much about metal fabrication on a mass production scale. I'm assuming that they would have to create a die of some kind in order to stamp the design into the metal.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on who to contact, let me know.

Just spoke with a company that may be able to help out with this.

The only issue is that they have a standard bike size plate that they can stamp from aluminum but the size is 3" x 6".

That is a bit wider than what I was hoping to have made up. They do offer the ability to make a custom size, but then the pricing jumps up quite a bit.

I need to design the artwork and send it to them to get a quote on what a custom size plate would run me.

I was hoping to make the plates in a 3" x 2.5" size to look more like the city issued plates from the 60s.

Was thinking along the lines of a 3" x 2.5" metal embossed plate like this. :D

rrb_plate-1.gif

go to wally world and see what the name of the company the does the kid name license plate and see if they do custom orders!?!?

Upper Class White Trash said:
go to wally world and see what the name of the company the does the kid name license plate and see if they do custom orders!?!?
Wally World? I don't think Steve speaks Chinese! :lol: -Adam

Ive always loved this one. IMO If your going to make a license plate it should look like a plate. but it dosent matter, Ill buy one either day.
hot%20wheels.jpg

basically a 60's cali plate
c473-blackplate-thumb.jpg

I was kind of shootin' for the style that they used to use in the 60s.

I figured with a smaller plate you'd have more mounting options.

So almost more of an ID tag than a automotive or motorcycle style plate.

DSC_0006-3.jpg

Rustinkerer said:
Upper Class White Trash said:
Wally World? I don't think Steve speaks Chinese! :lol: -Adam

i will bet my membership here that he does !

so steve if you don't ever shop there erase all of my being here!

Sweet, You might check the photo department of Walmart I know they can do prints on coffee mugs and lots of other stuff, Don't think they can do embossing but you might check them out, I know they'd be cheaper than a lot of other places.

I live about 4 blocks from a Wal-Mart and I have three kids.

The question is...how often do I not go to Wal-Mart....ha ha. :lol:

oh I see what your going for, the old "Bicycle" plates. I feel like a big dummy. So if I can take my foot out of my mouth for a second :) I would suggest using a similar san serif font like on the old ones.Like Gill sans condensed or Futura condensed.

I think you should have the words "bicycle license" in there somewhere.
Most people don't know or remember bike lics.
it would look more like a lic tag and less like an advertisement.

I like the URL and "member" wording.
the size and shape is most definately best the way you want it, not a rectangle so much like a car lic or a cheap name tag.

but, what do I know?, and yes, I will order some of them.

I took about 5 minutes to throw that mock up together to answer Mark's (kram) question. :wink:

And yes....advertising is a good thing. :mrgreen:

Dont know how the price would compare to a stamped plate, but I love the old cast hot rod club plaques
Plaque-Road-Knights.jpg

CarClubPlaque.jpg

The cool thing is that you can run em black, or color code em to suite your bike! I'd also grab one for the dash or parcel shelf in my car too. I mean they can make cool looking belt buckles, why not a mini club plaque? The two places to look for to do it are mobs who signage (like memorial plaques) or foundry and aluminium experts

rrb_plate-1.gif

Back