STAMPED METAL LICENSE PLATE QUESTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Rod said:
Was thinking along the lines of a 3" x 2.5" metal embossed plate like this. :D

rrb_plate-1.gif

If i may offer some input, albeit late. The letters on this example are too close together to be embossed at any noticable depth. You would end up with more of a large island. You would then have to stamp the letters color on rather than roll the paint on to the letters, if that makes any sense? I would say your example would work beautifuly in print form. You could do a screen print on a flat plate for not too expensive but it would be 2D. OR you could print a water-slide decal and aply it to the plate for probably less money and you could do it yourself. If you have a good laser printer and go with the bake on decal paper and a couple coats of clear, it would be very durable. The nice thing about the latter is that you could have the image edited with a 3D look and even have it made to look like an old worn licence plate. You would have to get pretty close to notice its a decal. This would keep your cost down as you could make them when needed. You would have to prime and paint the light color on one side of the plate (beige). Your decal would have only the black on it. You could go with a thicker plate as its not being stamped .04" to .06". I could make the plates for you if you supply the dimensions for the plate and mounting slots. They'd be shipping from Canada though.

Steve, if they are pre-ordered, any chance to get a # of your choice on them. Kind of like real plates where there are no 2 alike. Could become collectible items real quick. I pick #1 and 2,3,4,5

Someone showed me a metal plate that members of the H.A.M.B. get when they join.

They are custom shaped plates that have the artwork screen printed on.

This may be more affordable then having plates stamped.

I think I should be able to get any trophy shop to make these.

CIMG0133.JPG

I think this is a great idea. My vote would be for a traditional rectangular bicycle plate if possible. Stamped has that great detail that gives dimension. I would go with a stamped logo. What about making it look like an actual license plate like RR-BIKES but where small text is you substitute other verbage. A black plate with cream text would look great. Here's how I'm currently running my mini plate.
BTB-rear-plate-view.jpg

I'm way late on this, and I know there are different options on the table now, but originally when you said that one company could only go as small as 3"x6", why not make the artwork 2 side by side plates, then people could either buy 1 and trim it themselves or you could trim them and sell individual for more. You could still get your 3"x2.25" (I think that's what you said), would just have to cut the plate in half and take some off the top. Just my thought, shouldn't be hard stuff to cut with a band saw, tin snips, or even small cut off wheel.

I think people forget to take into consideration that Steve is making little to no money on these types of things. He's already put in a lot of time figuring out the best way to go about it, contacting vendors, and the whole design process. So any additional work like having to cut them and clean up the edges becomes time taken away from other things with no monetary compensation. Of course it's not all about money but aside from running the greatest site on the web he also has a family, a full time job, a house, and a bad habit of over detailing bikes :lol: .

kram said:
So any additional work like having to cut them and clean up the edges becomes time taken away from other things with no monetary compensation.

That's why you would be "encouraged" to buy 2, maybe he could sell some at a slightly reduced price to some rat bike entrepenuer who had the time to cut them and resell indivual plates.

I'm getting closer to a final decision on these plates. I think I'm going to end up going with a white aluminum plate that they emboss black ink onto. They would have rounded corners and would also have a hole in each corner.

Still kicking around design ideas, but this is getting close to what I'm thinking...4" x 2.5" in size.

rrblp1.gif

Looks pretty nice to me cost seems good . Is it a machine number plate /label co?

Back